Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Revisiting Dawn of War

Zibniyat

Arcane
how shit is Dawn of War 3 exactly?

No-camera-rotation shit. The zoom-out was also lackluster, not sure about zoom-in. And that more than a decade after the original was released. RTS developers have clearly regressed even in graphics department. I am telling you this because I have no memory of anything else from DOW III. Which means it is a 1 out of 10 shit game that you should avoid.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Is DoW2 not like Company of Heroes? That's what i always assumed but i guess is something more simplistic then?

Only in multi. The singleplayer campaign is a party-based hack'n'slash, and barring Chaos Rising where you can go pretty wild with evil powers, it's also pretty bad.

Sunssarathi

Literate
little tibbit about eldar, nearly all eldar spend their teenage years as pirates or dark eldar before rejoining craftworlds.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is DoW2 not like Company of Heroes? That's what i always assumed but i guess is something more simplistic then?

Only in multi. The singleplayer campaign is a party-based hack'n'slash, and barring Chaos Rising where you can go pretty wild with evil powers, it's also pretty bad.
Also, don't play the campaign at max difficulty, it becomes totally retarded with chipping away at huge health bars, and rinse/repeat waiting for replenishments.
I'd say Chaos Rising is much better than the other two(base game or Retribution) indeed.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Ive kept retribution installed for years because I really enjoyed last stand although haven't touched it for some time now. I have lvl 20 necron and tyranid and if anyone hasn't tried it or wants to play some rounds, let me know.

There's some good info on items, builds and tier lists here https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Last_Stand

chuft

Augur
Was about to buy DOW2 collection when I thought to check if it has active pause because, incredibly, some games don't. And it doesn't.

How can a Relic game (Homeworld, DOW1 etc) not have active pause, I wondered? Turns out the game used to have it, but years later removing something called GFWL (Games for Windows Live, whatever that was) broke the Pause functionality and they never fixed it.

So all DOW2 games lost their active pause to a bug.

No sale.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Please excuse the necro.

Did any indie games try to pick up where DoW1 left off? The style was really fun and I can't think of many others like it.

Desman

Novice
Gladius is a turn based game. It's basicly civilization without diplomacy and an heavy focus on combat.
It is a completly different genre.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Gladius is a turn based game. It's basicly civilization without diplomacy and an heavy focus on combat.
borrows a lot of ideas from DoW and RTS games despite being turn based

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
RTS games went from being big to super niche.

There's a few bigger budget indies in the scene trying to revive it, but they're going after the competitive crowd, whereas DoW was best enjoyed for the spectacle, watching Baneblades wreck shit and bullets fly through the air.

Halfling Rodeo

Educated
Sounds nothing like what I mean. I mean where your income is all coming from taking objectives on the map and you use your troops to do it. Where pushing forward and holding territory is more important than your farmers building batteries so you can build up a mega army and steam roll every campaign mission.

Desman

Novice
borrows a lot of ideas from DoW and RTS games despite being turn based
Like ?
It just share the same 40K setting so you end up with the same races and units but the games are completly different.
If you want games like DoW you need to take a look at the other Relic games like Company of Heroes series (same dev, same engine).

edit: nice reaction when you have nothing else to add lol
The obvious answer was always CoH series but you don't know shit so you just name drop another completly different 40K game like gladius and then you get mad when people tell you that they aren't even close.

Last edited:

Desman

Novice
Sounds nothing like what I mean. I mean where your income is all coming from taking objectives on the map and you use your troops to do it. Where pushing forward and holding territory is more important than your farmers building batteries so you can build up a mega army and steam roll every campaign mission.
Holding territory in Gladius is important because you need to build new cities (except SM who can only have one). Also if you manage to control neutral outposts and shards you get some extra ressources and health/loyalty/dmg bonuses but the most important thing is still to build production buildings in your cities (like in civ).
And yeah the games are very different.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
As this game continues to be the best RTS for casual-competitive multiplayer, is anyone interested in a codex tournament?

Lagi

Savant
I spend some time checking many DoW1 mods. They add tons of novelty units, that dont match with others, didnt improve the gameplay ("woah i have 6x angels in tier 3.5") and have lots of bugs.

DoWPro is the only mod that I enjoy, still keep playing, its still in line with vanilla in term of assets and that Im happy to say its improvment over the vanilla.
link to discord with most up to date version 370v5

Mod has easy installer. You just pick DoWPro in Game manager inside Soulstorm and thats it. Works even on multi. No need to do any hacks.

it increase view port a little bit - just right. So the ingame screen scrolling is reduced a lot. And you see much more of the battle.
CMDDCud.png

it has QWERTY keybind which is great. I dont need to memorise key shortcuts.
All changes are documented on tool tips. There is a lab mode map setting, that allow you to check each faction features with instant build time.
There is an improved AI, that is a much bigger challange.

Stats and tech tree adjustment in DoWPro make more units viable to use. There were years of multiplayer updates to balance the factions.
They removed flying units that were shit. Unit limit is more strict, its about 10 pop cap in tier 2.0. But then scale up a bit.

Commnader is much more important and impactful with his skills. Each factions have wargears: choice of 1 of 2 item upgrades that improve your main hero by granting him new abilities. on every HQ upgrade.
f.ex. could get melee charge, or small regeneration.
XutqwKw.png

i played some games on multiplayer for dowPro with few veteran players on discord. I never win any match and im able to beat improved Impossible AI in DowPro.

I dont see any issues with this mod. It very nice tight experience.
DoW1 display damage in odd way, because it didnt take into account different weapons and armor types. So to have a really picture how much damage your units inflict you need to study damage tables.

Lagi

Savant
Thought someone or other here might care for this.

if anyone wonder if its worth to watch it for 1,5h:
No,
A youtuber is spoiling campaign plot for vanilla dow1, if you didnt already experience its glorious dialogues.

If you hope its a nice refresher without the chore of playing dow1 again, its again not, because he cut most voicelines in half or even after 1st sentence - so you are left with bad taste.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I suppose I should've specified that, but absently scrolling through the thread, no one seemed to be new to it. It just seemed like a fairly honest look at what distinguished DoW from other old RTS games and where it does or doesn't work out.

Socrates

Bonfire Kindler
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
DOW1:DC/SS are pretty good. DOW2:CR wasn't bad either. Everything else meh.

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Thought someone or other here might care for this.

if anyone wonder if its worth to watch it for 1,5h:
No,
A youtuber is spoiling campaign plot for vanilla dow1, if you didnt already experience its glorious dialogues.

If you hope its a nice refresher without the chore of playing dow1 again, its again not, because he cut most voicelines in half or even after 1st sentence - so you are left with bad taste.

Yeah the dude in general is rather lackluster when it comes to in-depth content, it's mildly entertaining but also mostly superficial even if he seemingly fully completes the games. Can't recommend in general unless you have nothing else to do.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom