Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Release the skyway! Origins revealed...

kris

Arcane
Volourn said:
What's worse is people amdit to stealing a game when they know it's gonna suck. If you thougt ME was gonna suck why the fuck would you bother stealing it? It doesn't fucking make sense.

that is what makes the most sense. although I doubt they stole it, they probably downloaded it. they do that because they are not sure about the game.

although in the case of skyway he was sure it was going to suck.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"I didn't, I played a friend's copy for a little bit."

Exception. Meet rule.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I
volly.gif
piracy

Rorschach

Novice
Longshanks said:
More butthurt over Bioware bashing? An opinion of a game is just as valid no matter how it was obtained. Whine about the stealing if you want, but it has nothing to do with the opinion. Any attempt to link the two comes off as an attempt to disregard an argument/opinion you have no counter to.

I didn't link the theft of the game to your opinion, I just asked why you'd steal it if you didn't want it. Whine about opinions all you want but it has nothing to do with the theft. Any link you make between the two is just an attempt to diregard the question at hand.

The only thing I have to say regarding the opinion thing is this: your opinion losses alot of weight when you have nothing to back it up. What I mean is the reason you expect a game to deliver is because you are going to pay for it; if you don't lose anything by the game sucking than the best you can say is "oh well, no harm to me" the worst you can say is "make a better fucking game for me to steal". It takes a real pretentious bastard to say the latter; Which most pirates do.

kris

Arcane
Rorschach said:
I didn't link the theft of the game to your opinion, I just asked why you'd steal it if you didn't want it.

i downloaded 100s of games I didn't like. As soon I saw that it was not good i deleted them. It is just a few games I have such a informed opinion that I will buy them without trying them first. I believe dragon age will actually be one of those. I don't think I will get a awesome game, but I think I will get a game I like.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Mogar said:
Silellak said:
Freelance Henchman said:
NiggerJew said:
I have to seriously agree on one thing... it takes one massive amount of gall to bitch or complain about a game you -stole-.

+1

+2

+3
Yay for the piracy trolls. I like this one, "stole". It's actually as cool as "pirate".
"I didn't steal the game. I "stole" it, har har."

In before Annochil.

Longshanks

Augur
Rorschach said:
Longshanks said:
More butthurt over Bioware bashing? An opinion of a game is just as valid no matter how it was obtained. Whine about the stealing if you want, but it has nothing to do with the opinion. Any attempt to link the two comes off as an attempt to disregard an argument/opinion you have no counter to.

I didn't link the theft of the game to your opinion,
Others did.
Though, to be clear, it's not my opinion we're discussing. I've not pirated a Bioware game, nor have I pirated a game I did not want.

Rorschach said:
I just asked why you'd steal it if you didn't want it.
Don't know. Maybe said person felt there was some hope they'd enjoy it, even if small.

Rorschach said:
Whine about opinions all you want but it has nothing to do with the theft. Any link you make between the two is just an attempt to diregard the question at hand.
The discussion started out as "the opinion of those who pirate a game is worthless". This is a clear attempt to avoid discussion with those who have a different view. An analysis of a product is just as valid regardless of the means of obtainment (unless there are some questions about impartiality - eg. reviewing a car gifted to you by the manufacturer), note that many/most reviewers do not personally pay for the product they are reviewing.

As I said in my previous post. The theft/pirating/illegal downloading of the game is seperate to the opinion. Criticise the former all you like, but using it as an excuse to disregard opinion or analysis is just avoidance.

Rorschach said:
The only thing I have to say regarding the opinion thing is this: your opinion losses alot of weight when you have nothing to back it up. What I mean is the reason you expect a game to deliver is because you are going to pay for it; if you don't lose anything by the game sucking than the best you can say is "oh well, no harm to me"
A mostly valid point, but I feel much overplayed. As previously stated, the same can be said for pretty much all reviewers in any industry, as even if they are personally paying for a product, they are also being paid to review it, so the cost of it does not personally concern them. Discussion on the quality of a game, or other product, is not greatly effected by not having paid for it. In fact, it could be argued that those who purchase a game are likely to be less objective as they've invested more into it, possibly causing them to be overly harsh on a product (I paid $50 for this?) or overly generous (wanting their purchase to be justified). Does buying the game when it hits the bargain bin also reduce the weight of your opinion?

Rorschach said:
the worst you can say is "make a better fucking game for me to steal". It takes a real pretentious bastard to say the latter; Which most pirates do.
I agree with this. But again, the blame lies in the stealing, not the opinion that the game sucks. If the opinion can be backed up with solid reasoning, it is as valid as any other. It can be either refuted or agreed with, not dismissed on the basis of how the game was obtained.

Rorschach

Novice
Longshanks said:
I agree with this. But again, the blame lies in the stealing, not the opinion that the game sucks. If the opinion can be backed up with solid reasoning, it is as valid as any other. It can be either refuted or agreed with, not dismissed on the basis of how the game was obtained.

Ya got me. If a game blows ass it will blow ass whether you bought it or pirated it.

My main beef was with the pirates, though. But I usually end up feeling like Sisyphus in those debates and I'm sure the people on the other side of the argument do as well.

And you know, honestly, the only retort I can think of to the "try before you buy" argument is: I'm not so dilusional that I believe that you'll actually buy a game you already have gotten for free. Not the best as I'm sure many have or atleast will claim to have done so but it's all I can think of at the moment.

Longshanks

Augur
Rorschach said:
And you know, honestly, the only retort I can think of to the "try before you buy" argument is: I'm not so dilusional that I believe that you'll actually buy a game you already have gotten for free. Not the best as I'm sure many have or atleast will claim to have done so but it's all I can think of at the moment.
I don't buy the "try before buy" argument either. It's not equivalent to demoing the game, as once you have the full thing right there on your computer, the chances of you buying, no matter how dilligent you are, are reduced. I'm sure people do buy games they've pirated, but it will usually be games they consider uncommonly awesome, and that, particulary for Codexers will be quite a small number. I just think there's enough information around to make an informed decision on a game purchase without resorting to piracy, even if there is no demo.

The Feral Kid

Prophet
Volourn said:
It's like me stealing someone's Dr. Pepper. I hate Dr. Pepper so why would I fuckin' steal it?

Damn. Thieves are stupid which is why their opinion on *anything* is useless.

People who buy/steal games they 'knew' beforehand would suck big time are stupid as well, and their opinion is useless.

What a pleasantly useful comment from a miserable person with a mental malfunction.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
God damn.

I just looked at that footage. And it wasn't even a second before I thought, "Damn, that looks exactly like the Witcher."

Maybe it's just the more detailed 3D dialogue/cinematic modes, but that's just the first thing that came to me.

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I haven't played the Witcher, but because of the dialog I thought at first maybe it was some fan made spoof using machinima from Oblivion or something.

Until I realized that it would be hard to get a few college kids to voice act like that I realized it was somehow an actual in game demo.

I bet that Morgans original name was 'Raven'. It just caws at me like that.

Why is the lip syncing so bad? Because the original poster was dutch? I don't really care about that stuff, but the whole thing was just very off. I'm very suspect.

I understand that Youtube videos are the worst way to possibly promote anything and maybe gameplay will be okay, but I think I'm getting old and jaded. The year is 2009?

Hopefully they'll get something better out there. I'm downloading the Drakensang demo to look at. I hope it's fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom