Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Regiments - Cold War real-time tactics wargame from the new MicroProse

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wew lads. I will probably need a few days to be able to do a meaningful write up on the game. Right now I would say that the game is both less and more than I expected it to be.

The skirmish mode looks really good, with plenty of maps, gametypes and playable units for both NATO and Pact. I am a bit bummed out that there is no Czechoslovak People´s Army regiment for the Pact – there are many Soviet and a few East German regiments to choose – but that is a minor thing (plus one can hope for future content).

There is no campaign per se though – only a series of operations (see my previous review of the demo ITT to see what operations are like in general). Since there is heavy storyfaggotry happening in the game I find this somewhat disappointing. I would have loved to have both NATO and Pact campaigns. Instead you get consecutive operations which tell the story from multiple viewpoints (ie each operation has a set protagonist – you cannot choose who to play as, so you have to switch sides from operation to operation).

I am honestly not a fan of this approach, but storyfaggotry is on an excellent level given that this is a Wargame-like. The initial operation has you playing as a commander of an East German armored regiment – the situation is basically that the 1989-style peaceful anti-commie revolutions turned violent and you as a loyal commie set out to put down the armed rebellion. Of course it doesn’t look like NATO is going to just watch….

The gameplay didn’t change much since the demo and it remains really good both on tactical and strategic levels (to remind you, tactical missions allow you to earn “Operational Authority” – the currency that you can use to replenish loses and acquire additional task forces and supplies for your regiment. There are plenty of various QoL improvements, but in general if you played the demo, you know what to expect. Very positive on Steam right now.

I will play through a few ops and write up more detailed review in a few days. Now excuse me, there are some capitalist warmongers and saboteurs that require my full attention around Mühlhausen.
How's the micromanagement?
Can the units perform autonomously like in armored brigade/flashpoint campaigns, choose optimal routes etc, or do you need to babysit them like in wargame?

Micromanagement is not much of an issue in the game, to some extend because you can slow down time or pause. Units that require a lot of attention are artillery, which (with exception of self propelled mortars) wont fire unless ordered to (which is a good decision imo, since you really dont want them to waste ammo) and helicopters, because they are very fragile and have low ammo capacity. Otherwise the units dont have any special abilities that the player would have to manually activate to get an optimal performance (you want to switch your recon units to "hold fire" though).

That said the game does require you to pay attention. Units will not retreat unless you give them order (usually better than having them wiped out) and AI likes to launch sneak attacks, so you will often find that your supply train and arty units are being overrun if you dont check on them from time to time.

Pathfinding is not that great, units proceed in straight line towards the waypoint (though you can plot course for them). They dont get stuck on terrain or anything like that, the biggest issue is anti-tank obstacles (both sides can place them). Units need some time to dismantle them before proceeding and AI will by default start dismantling them if they are in the way instead of bypassing them, which would be usually better solution.

Last edited:
Glory to Ukraine
Alrighty m8s, got little over 10 hours in the game now – here are my findings:

The storyfag elements in the game are excellent and it is obvious that the dev did some research and thinking about the late 1980s situation in Europe. Most of the games and other media dealing with the late Cold War period make a mistake of treating Warsaw Pact as a monolithic entity where everyone is ready to cross the West German border when the USSR says the word. I guess that anyone who had father/uncle/grandfather in any of the Pact armies at the time will know that this is not what the situation was actually like. Morale was low, especially in the “frontline” states, many people were more or less open about how they would refuse to fight or outright defect the first chance they got if the things got hot. The game shows this very well, with both East Germany and Poland going into full revolt at the first sign of trouble, while the soviet troops have to fight their alleged allies before they even get to see the first Bundeswehr uniform.

I wont spoil much from the story, but the initial conflict starts with upraising in the East Germany where you fight on the “loyalist” side against the pro-democratic rebels. As you assault the rebel capital close to the West German Border, East German an soviet troops set up heavy radio jammers in the area to prevent the rebels from calling for help – since the rebels operate the same radio systems as you do, your troops also become cut off from communication with HQ. As you mop up the rebels, somebody fires several ballistic missiles into the area, hitting a railway station where a train loaded with chemicals was parked at the time. The huge chlorin cloud covers the area, forcing a brief break in the fighting as both sides put on their CBRN gear, the rebels are eventually overrun, but there is massive chaos, comms are down and lots of civilians are dieing due to gas.

Then the perspective changes over to NATO, Bundeswehr was already at high readiness due to the fighting on the other side of the border, but when the gas cloud moves to FRG territory and wreaks havoc there, an elite panzer regiment is sent over the border (now basically unguarded and overflowing with refugees) to find out wtf is happening an figure out whether this is a chemical attack or a mere accident. You lead the assault that takes out the troops you commanded in the first operation, lift the jamming an verify that the chlorin comes from a destroyed railway station. At that time however, you get reports that East German troops are responding to the raid by crossing the border elsewhere and the events quickly start to spiral out of control…

The story is unveiled through short reports you receive in between missions, its done very well and really adds to the atmosphere (as the messages portray the increasing chaos on both sides, with refugees clogging up the roads and fucking up the logistics, military units being confused due to jamming etc). Really nice work in this area, the story had me hooked immediately and I couldnt wait to find out more. Not something that happens in RTS games often, let alone in a Wargame-like. It’s a real pity there aren’t cohesive campaigns though – I understand that the dev probably had to work with very limited means and this is the best he could do, but a longer campaign for either side with some named characters and cutscenes (hell, maybe even some branching) would be absolutely perfect for this type of a game.

As it is, the game does tell the story cohesively, making sure you get full information from both sides. Plus of course you get to master both sides as well as a result – this would make more sense in an MP game where SP content is there primarily to provide basic training for MP however. I wish the other approach was taken, but oh well.

The switching perspective also means that you play a different regiment every time. This imo leads to the very nice management layer being a bit underused as you start from scratch with every operation – being able to build up a single regiment over a longer campaign would have been a blast. As it is, you on the other hand get to play with a great variety of units that require different playstyle, so there is plenty going in favor of this approach too.

Gameplay-wise there aren’t many changes since the demo, so I will not repeat myself (see the longer post on previous pages, it will give you all the information you need) here. A bigger change is that the mech inf units are now equipped with MANPADs, so they are fairly good at defending against helicopters. Other than that the important elements are managing your supplies during missions (you have logistics units that can resupply units in the field, otherwise you have to retreat them to resupply off map), managing artillery fire (arty on arty duels are a huge part of the game and AI is fairly good at them so you need to pay attention) and air defense (the MANPADs for infantry make this a bit easier, but airplanes and helis are still mortal danger to most units, dedicated AA units are very rare, so figuring out a good placement for them is key).

I have to give special mention to the way defense against airplanes is handled in the game, as I find the system really good. The airplanes can be suppressed by AA fire, which makes them either ineffective (as the maneuver to avoid fire and cant really aim) or sometimes even makes them break off completely. This means that AA units don’t need to kill to be effective, they merely need to be in position to fire at the enemy planes before they can engage. Of course the planes are so fast that you cant relocate when they show up – figuring out a good position for your AA assets is therefore vital as is making sure that your troops are within the AA coverage.

AI is pretty decent – it flanks, seeks weak areas in your line, tries to take out your arty and generally doesn’t give me reasons to complain.

Finally – yeah, the game is gamey to considerable extend, there is a CoH style retreat function, units move fairly fast etc. If you want a highly realistic experience, go play Armored Brigade. Regiments is a storyfag take on Wargame franchise with management/RPG elements.

In any case, I really like the game. At this rate I would say that the full SP experience (as far as operations go) could easily be at about 30 hours, plus then you have the skirmish mode. Its really impressive that one dude working out of his garage was able to pull of something like this. I just hope that the game does well enough to let him continue and get some team together too – there is a huge potential here still waiting to be unlocked with more funds and labor force. The world sure does need more games like this.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1109680/view/5465703925502150046
Regiments Roadmap 2022 - 2023
A look at the planned additional content
We've got a lot of questions about what lies ahead for Regiments - and while some answers were given here and there - let's sum it up as an actual roadmap.

As with all plans, these are likely to be adjusted in the process - for the same reason, we're not providing any dates, for now, just the order of priority.

Regiments 'lifecycle' is planned to last roughly a year, until the autumn of 2023, when a decision would be made on how to proceed further.

Content Packs
The new content will be split into 4 major add-ons, preliminary named and structured as follows:

(Names of the content packs are, of course, not final)

'Immediate Reserves'
This add-on will introduce several more units to the existing nations and add the first playable UK Regiments to the Skirmish modes. One new Operation along with 1-2 maps are also planned.

'Northern Group of Forces'
Netherlands and Poland, along with the remaining UK elements, will make an appearance in this DLC, along with several operations and new maps.
Heliborne and motorized infantry is also scheduled to appear here.

'Central Group of Forces'
This DLC will focus on the South German Front, adding Czechoslovakian, French, and Canadian battlegroups.
The 'Custom Operations' mode is likely to be introduced with this update, allowing to set fighting sides, regiments, stages, length, and other parameters for one of the Operations templates.

'Final Update'
Scheduled to appear close to August 2023, this DLC will wrap up the additional content. At this moment, it's hard to define its scope - anything from a small farewell content pack for existing nations to a different front outside of Central Europe is on the table.

Most likely, the first content pack will be released free, while the next two DLC will be paid ones.
It will only concern the content like new units, regiments, and operations, of course - new mechanics will be rolled into the game regardless of whether you purchase the content pack or not.

Potential Features
Here we're going into the more speculative territory.
These features are going to be at least researched & prototyped, but not all of them may be implemented. There's no definite timeline or priority for them too - it'll be done in whatever order fits best for the major content add-ons.

So, possible features, in no particular order:

While most are self-explanatory, a few require extra notes:

New Skirmish modes
  • Dedicated defense mode without the transport units of the Mobile Defense mode
  • Meeting engagement / Attack that uses the node networks from the Operations mode
  • A mode or an optional rule that places a higher value on the casualties inflicted and sustained
Further additions to the Regiments system
As the number of nations and regiments increases, hardware alone will rapidly become inadequate to show the differences between them - and there's only so much we can do with different organizational structures. A deeper representation of the fighting spirit, level of training, logistical and command aspects will be required.

On top of that, let's repeat the stance on the most frequently-asked additions:
Multiplayer
- definitely not during Regiments '22-'23 lifecycle.
Map Editor
- highly unlikely due to the technical and, possibly, license-related constraints.
Scenario Editor
(or at least some sort of) - perhaps, though the scope of the task makes estimating it pretty hard. It overlaps a lot with the 'Customizable Operations' too and may end up bundled together.

We'll also be looking into other distribution platforms.

I hope this roadmap answers key questions about the next steps of Regiments development.
That's it for now, thanks for your attention!

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
This game is pretty great. I was looking for something with some of the tactical elements of Mius Front or Armoured Brigade but where I don't need to eyeball every single soldiers placement before battle.

This is one of the best abstractions of mechanized infantry I've ever seen in a game, loading them up and choosing a new position is really smooth without being too arcadey.

I enjoyed Armoured Brigade a lot but this game has far better performance and a proper 3D engine making it a bit more compelling. I think the thing about abstractions versus realism in a wargame is how interesting the decisions remain are and it feels like this game was very cleverly designed.

The retreat thing is a little weird but I think this game is more concerned about being fun in places rather than realism which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Definitely far better than Steel Division trash. Hope they add more campaign elements to it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
This game is pretty great. I was looking for something with some of the tactical elements of Mius Front or Armoured Brigade but where I don't need to eyeball every single soldiers placement before battle.

This is one of the best abstractions of mechanized infantry I've ever seen in a game, loading them up and choosing a new position is really smooth without being too arcadey.

I enjoyed Armoured Brigade a lot but this game has far better performance and a proper 3D engine making it a bit more compelling. I think the thing about abstractions versus realism in a wargame is how interesting the decisions remain are and it feels like this game was very cleverly designed.

The retreat thing is a little weird but I think this game is more concerned about being fun in places rather than realism which isn't the worst thing in the world.

Definitely far better than Steel Division trash. Hope they add more campaign elements to it.
Microprose dude

DakaSha

Arcane

Is this man gay?????

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.

Is this man gay?????

Only for quality wargaming friend.

DakaSha

Arcane

Is this man gay?????

Do I understand correctly that this game has procedural skirmishes, and that the ai is decent?

Is this man gay?????

Do I understand correctly that this game has procedural skirmishes, and that the ai is decent?
there may be some procedural part, but I have not played it..the main thing the game is built around is a story. The battlefields and battles are handcrafted but some of the story elements are random and there is a lot of control over how the game plays with regard to unit speeds, how fast you want the game to play, damage output, random 'bad luck' story parts etc..you can slow the game way down and give orders or give orders paused or speed the game up and give orders or anything in between..its very well done. One of the best real-time wargames I have played, up there with Grav-team tactics and Close Combat. It is closer to Close Combat I suppose. I don't usually like modern warfare (like especially after viet-nam) that much because it seems mostly about who can shoot who the fastest with a missile from hundereds of miles away, and I just can't get into it as much-- but this game is really fun.

I think there is some 'skirmish' mode, but I have not tried it yet, I suspect I will be done w/ the game by the time I finish the 1st person campaign and will never really play the skirmish mode-- that is how it goes in every game I have ever played. In the old days when only a few games a year came out maybe I would have played skirmish or something, but I doubt I ever will, even though I like the game.

Last edited:

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
just buy it if you're sick of how eugen treats their games. their last decent game was european escalation

Only bad thing I will say about the game is you can't save in the middle of a battle...I wanted to save to save my progression and also to take a break but it does not let saving until end of each battle. For some reason my neighborhood has constant power outages that last like 3 seconds then power comes back on. Happens like 2-4 times a week, and of course it just happened, after about 45 minutes of playing a battle that I was nearly finished with and now I have to do it all over..very annoying.

Glory to Ukraine
New update:

To say that the year since the 16th of August '22 release flew by in the blink of an eye would be an understatement. Can it really have been twelve months already?

On the other hand, game development stopped being just an amuzing hobby, filled with 16-hour crunch sessions, and started to be an actual business, with banks, taxes, and compliance hurdles in a heavily-sanctioned region. Times flies fast with such a wide variety of new tasks and issues to solve.

So, where do we stand now?

Current developments

A recap of key points:
  • A significant portion of the planned "Northern Group of Forces" DLC has been released in the form of free updates. It is only logical that the Netherlands will follow suit sometime during autumn to round out the planned content.
  • One of the items on the 'optional features' list, the Static Defense skirmish mode, complements the Mobile Defense version.
  • Regiments is now available on GOG, and the Steam version is finally playable through GeForce NOW.

An M113 C&V and a Leopard 2A4NL of the Royal Netherlands Army crawl along a forest path

Demo

The popular "2-hour refund as a demo" system on Steam has been working okay, but I believe it would be far better for everyone to have an actual demo. For a relatively slow-burn title like Regiments, 2 hours isn't much time to make an informed decision and it is simply far more convenient.

Concurrently, the main branch will be updated with the Czech localization and several community-driven improvements.

New Nations

As mentioned earlier, the Netherlands is likely to be released this autumn.

Meanwhile, both Czechoslovakia and France are nearing completion with the tremendous assistance of the community. Only Canada remains to complete the army lists for the 'Central Group of Forces' DLC.

A CSLA OT-62B mechanized squad follows the lead of a reconnaissance OT-65A scout car. Both vehicles are armed with the ubiquitous T21 Tarasnice recoilless rifle

On the subject of DLC, this expansion will be a paid one. Not only does it add numerous new units, but also introduces a significant feature:

Generated Operations

The original concept for DLCs was straightforward: introduce 1-2 operations corresponding to each nation, weaving them into the overarching plot. Sounds easy on the surface, but upon reflection, this rivals the entirety of the release content. We're looking at a minimum of 6, but ideally 8-9, new Operations to adequately represent all nations' forces and integrate the new mechanics.
The inescapable informational background of a real war isn't very conductive for writing the narrative parts of the operations as well.

So, how can we circumvent this and still deliver operations for the new armies?
By the power of procedural generation.
Select a regiment. Set up the starting conditions, length, difficulty, optional rules.
Fight through multiple Stages: each with a randomly-selected mission template, map, opposing force, and event cards.
Incrementally upgrade the regiment to meet arising challenges.

Although this system might not offer the same narrative depth as the 'fixed' Operations, its vastly expanded replayability and extensive customization options should position it as a solid alternative.

It's a big item, though. Given the magnitude of additions, the DLC release date might be pushed back, potentially even to 2024.

Gazelle helicopters soar above a patrol of several AMX-10RCs

New Mechanics

As outlined before, battlefield will expand across the aerial dimension.
The Combat Air Patrol TacAid feature will deploy fighter jets to overwatch a designated area for a specified duration, swooping down to engage any enemy aerial targets.

Integrated transport helicopters provide unparalleled mobility to air assault infantry and other air-transportable units. Both come as a single platoon stack: usually, the platoon will deploy with units riding inside the helicopters. When they arrive at the landing zone, an Unload command dismounts the transported unit. After that, the helicopters automatically retreat from the map along the safest route possible, taking into account known anti-air sites. The dismounted platoon operates as any standard unit would. If it is destroyed or retreats, the entire stack becomes deployable again.
When on the defensive, deploying air assault infantry right away can be advantageous to make use of pre-battle entrenchment.

Although both features are functional, they still need further refinement and balancing, particularly with regards to infantry-only platoons. As noted in the earlier road map, these mechanics won't necessarily be tied to the DLC and may appear separately for existing armies.

UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters deliver troops for an assault

This sums up the key changes to the earlier roadmap and the current state of our progress. By and large, the general course remains the same, adjusted for the extra effort on the business side of the development.

See you again pretty soon, with demo announcement and more.

Sinilevä

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
This is the best rts about modern warfare. I just wish there was a dynamic campaign and custom regiments you could assemble yourself. :M

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hey Parsimonious cook, thanks for the in depth reviews. What would you say mainly differentiates this one from the Eugen’s formula?

i am very impressed with this; it doesn't drag itself down with needless clicking like eugen's games do. the core gameplay loop doesn't burden you with dumb bullshit, and the fact that it's purely singleplayer focused helps it a lot. i've been burned out by eugen focusing on multiplayer. wargame: european escalation was great... then their later games went down the shitter

I watched some gameplay of this, actually looks pretty good to me, better than the wargame series, at least for how I like to play..I mean its not as 'realistic' as close combat maybe (units still move too fast, damage model seems sort of arcade like and repair and retreat and re-arming is also way too fast), but it still looks fun to me....

this is the game to play if you're burnt out by how bad eugen's newer games are

just buy it if you're sick of how eugen treats their games. their last decent game was european escalation

Gromoer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hey Parsimonious cook, thanks for the in depth reviews. What would you say mainly differentiates this one from the Eugen’s formula?

i am very impressed with this; it doesn't drag itself down with needless clicking like eugen's games do. the core gameplay loop doesn't burden you with dumb bullshit, and the fact that it's purely singleplayer focused helps it a lot. i've been burned out by eugen focusing on multiplayer. wargame: european escalation was great... then their later games went down the shitter

I watched some gameplay of this, actually looks pretty good to me, better than the wargame series, at least for how I like to play..I mean its not as 'realistic' as close combat maybe (units still move too fast, damage model seems sort of arcade like and repair and retreat and re-arming is also way too fast), but it still looks fun to me....

this is the game to play if you're burnt out by how bad eugen's newer games are

Ok, I got it, the main differences are lack of dumb bullshit, needless clicking and making people sick and burnt out.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1109680/view/3871469509834049814
Regiments DLC Dev Update - New Forces
A look at the armies of the new nations
Hi, all!

First of all, a reminder that the DLC release date was and remains "To Be Announced" for a reason.
DLC is scheduled to add entirely new game mechanics and significantly expand the Operations mode - big changes, connected to many internal systems in this or that way.

It would be
very optimistic
to expect it to arrive in the same timeframe as the FreeLCs, even without considering a whole host of health problems I'm having in the meantime.
I would like to have a more definite timeline myself, but for the time being, it is what it is.

Work on the 'Winds of Change' continues at a regular tempo: some of the new content and features even make it into the public version, with the F-4F and M113-TOW in version 1.0.98 being the most prominent examples.

The new nations - Czechoslovakia, Netherlands, Canada, and France - are taking shape. Pretty much the entire unit lineup is done and integrated. Now the regiments are being formed and tested in combat.
(playing France for a first time was definitely...
an Experience
)

Canadian Airborne troops and a Grizzly AVGP

In researching and implementing the new forces, we've come across various interesting facts and challenges:

Československá lidová armáda (CSLA)
insignia is the first one of the Warsaw Pact decals that need to be oriented in a specific way - "blue part forward", simply speaking. Luckily, a few shader tricks saved us from updating all the vehicle models to reorient decal meshes. CSLA vehicles and aircraft will have the roundel facing the correct way now.

Su-25 with the CSLA Air Force livery: rare case of a Warsaw Pact nation airforce with heraldic elements in the squadron emblems

An OT-65A Vydra, a recon vehicle armed with a recoilless rifle, and the well-known Mi-24D

Royal Netherlands Army
vehicle designations were notably minimalistic. No tactical numbers, no unit emblems. To compensate for that, a set of static decals has been added to all Dutch vehicles, showing the Military Load Class, registration number, and a subtle flag.

Leopard 2NL - very similar to the Leopard 2A4 in all aspects but armor, which remained around the 2A1 levels. Subtler differences include an FN MAG instead of MG3 as an AA machinegun, and different smoke grenade launchers

French Armed Forces
low-level air defense is a rag-tag bunch. AMX-13 DCA was outdated, slow, and gradually phased out. Mistral MANPADS wasn't man-portable and was just entering service in very limited numbers. That left the ubiquitous 20mm 53T2 and F2 guns as the main AAA component.
20mm 53T2 gun is the first static weapon to appear in Regiments, taking the role of a pre-placed anti-air site for French forces. Its performance isn't exactly spectacular, so massing them together with Truck- and VAB-mounted systems would be a good idea.

Concentrated fire of the TRM2000-mounted and dismounted 53T2 guns. Maybe not the most powerful anti-air gun out there, but the seat looks comfy

Canadian Armed Forces
table of equipment wouldn't be complete without this unique chimera. ADATS amalgamates anti-tank and surface-to-air capabilities on a single chassis and inside the same missile.
In Regiments, it'll be classified as a SAM system first and foremost, but one that can defend itself against armored threats too.

ADATS - a very fresh arrival to the Canadian forces stationed in Germany, undoubtedly raising some questions for Soviet intelligence

And as said before, the public version isn't forgotten either - the 1.0.99 update is coming very shortly.
Initially envisioned as a simple hotfix for an MG buff introduced in 1.0.98, the patch grew in size and will now add a new skirmish regiment, new units, a pair of long-awaited features that were requested since times immemorial, and much more.

Czechoslovak paratroopers secure the landing zone

That's all for now! See you again pretty soon, with the 1.0.99 update changelog.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom