Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommendation

Nish

Barely Literate
Any good jrpg for a crpg veteran or something in the same style

I have played suikoden 2, final fantasy 12, tactics ogre

Hagashager

Educated
Not a big JRPG Fan, so take my suggestions with a grain of salt.

I quite liked Octopath Traveler.

Also, call me childish, but the first two Paper Marios are good JRPGs despite their outer exterior. I do recommend them.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Any good jrpg for a crpg veteran or something in the same style
How about listing some Crpg's you actually enjoyed?
There is a big difference between Fallout/Ultima wizardry fans taste.

adsasd

I have played suikoden 2, final fantasy 12, tactics ogre

Suikoden 1 is good. It's only 15 hours long and the story is better than S2, IMO. Only issue is that Suikoden 1 has an inventory micromanagement problem but that's it.

Final Fantasy Tactics, but beware that the story goes off the rails from grounded geopolitical conflict to being about fighting demons halfway through.

Ogre Battle 64. Same grounded geopolitical conflict feel as Tactics Ogre, but with some RTS gameplay instead of turn based. There is a SNES Ogre Battle game but it doesn't have the nice story presentation of 64 so I'd skip that.

Romancing Saga 2 is a more open JRPG, where you can do storylines out of order. You can make your characters into whatever you want. The game is designed around permadeath, so if you lose a guy it is easier to train up a replacement's skills to par, and if you wipe then the story pans to the next generation of heroes who can somewhat inherit skills from their ancestors.

That's it for the vaguely CRPG-like JRPGs. Otherwise, I'd advise that you just get used to JRPGs being a different genre. There are lots of good JRPGs out there. The aforementioned Valkyria Chronicles 1, and VC4 are great too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom