Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend strategy game similar to Centurion

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
My all-time favourite strategy game is Centurion: Defender of Rome.
Could you recommend some similar strategy games?

LCJr.

Erudite
Similiar in what way? Just the combat or the whole "little bit of everything" approach?

mondblut

Arcane
theverybigslayer said:
Just the combat and the "empire management".

I think Kingmaker had very similar battle mode, and empire management was pretty fun too, even if highly tabletop-ish. Ever-resurrecting enemy nobles were annoying though.

For "little bit of everything", Conqueror AD1086 had it all. RTS battles, FPS castle siege/defense and melee tournaments, arcade jousting, Caesar-style town management and adventure-style flirting with the ladies.

Ivy Mike

Scholar
I might be totally off on this, but isn't Rome: TW and the other games in that series pretty similar? Also some games by Slitherine Strategies might compare. Great game by the way, my cousin and I used to play the hell out of that one back in the day. Strategy games are more fun if you're two.

theverybigslayer

Liturgist
Thanks for the replies.
Any more recommendation?
The combat can be RT vagy TB.
The strategic map have to be similar like Medieval:TW or Centurion. I hate the Rome:TW total boring move your army across the land feature.

Panthera

Scholar
You'll find that the Slitherine games, particularly the original Legion, play a lot like Centurion in the battle mod.

sheek

Arbiter
Conqueror AD 1086 isn't a game. It's a concept piece/early alpha that was released because the publisher needed cash.

buccaroobonzai

Scholar
theverybigslayer said:
Thanks for the replies.
Any more recommendation?
The combat can be RT vagy TB.
The strategic map have to be similar like Medieval:TW or Centurion. I hate the Rome:TW total boring move your army across the land feature.

"vagy" hey you speak Hungarian?

mondblut

Arcane
sheek said:
Conqueror AD 1086 isn't a game. It's a concept piece/early alpha that was released because the publisher needed cash.

Hm? I never had any problems with its performance back in the day, and I played it to death. Finished several times, both by sieging London and by killing a dragon. My old monitor even had a marker dot drawn at the spot you had to aim the spearpoint at during jousting, LOL.

Sure, the "simcity" mode was quite pointless, as you could just fill the land with tons of mills and get all the cash you want. And RTS battles were crap. But I loved the FPS swordfights. Early in the game, when you are alone, naked and armed with a knife, protecting your castle from half a dozen of armed knights was a hell of a challenge, even abusing the window exploit (when you could camp at a gatehouse and strike the passing enemies through a window without being attacked in return). And soloing the huge enemy castles in the end was a true adventure.

Tournaments were fun too. Those chicks had personality. And discovering leads to the dragon was a fascinating find.

An excellent, if uneven, game for its age.

Ashery

Prophet
Dominions 3?

After looking through some video clips and screenshots of Centurion - Defender of Rome, the combat is fairly close. The main difference being that you don't control you troops during the combat, but rather give general assignments for them to carry out. The combat is turn based as well.

sheek

Arbiter
Re: Conqueror AD 1086

To see why it was broken/unfinished choose your starting castle in Land's End (western Cornwall). You can piss off anybody you want and send armies to conquer half the country and you will never be at risk.

The reason is that enemy armies went in straight lines and disappeared if they reached the sea. Your castle could still be a crappy 1000 peasant village and you could own the wealthiest estates in northern England, as long as you didn't attack someone within "line of sight" which is basically neighboring Somerset you were safe.

Anyway the fact it was rushed is common knowledge. Pity because it had a great character creation system, and a lot of potential generally.

I never found the Dragon (who do you have to talk to?) but led a gigantic army to sack London and murder the king as some petty squire from Cornwall. A few years I spent a while trying to get it to work on XP without success.

*frumple*

Novice
Defender of the crown is fairly simular. The orignal is from 1987, but I think they made a remake a few years back. (although I never played the remake).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom