Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recommend me a Colonization iteration

Zomg

Arbiter
Has there ever been a Colonization knockoff that wasn't so boring and awful? I love the concept and some of the core ideas, but it's miserable to actually play it.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Imperialism 2 was a great game - try it if you haven't; even though it has almost nothing in common with Colonization :D

Raapys

Arcane
I seem to remember liking Imperialism 1 alot more.

Anyway, the focus is more on getting raw materials and turning it into products to trade with the other nations; you can expand your industry, research, and create armies, but there's no city development per se( although you do improve your tiles ). Fun game, but not very replayable I think.

Truth

Scholar
Lord Chambers said:
Zomg said:
Has there ever been a Colonization knockoff that wasn't so boring and awful? I love the concept and some of the core ideas, but it's miserable to actually play it.
I realize this isn't what you're looking for, but if you're a huge fan of Colonization you'll still be interested (and probably already know): http://ir.take2games.com/ReleaseDetail. ... eID=315205

Yeah there's also that blogger dumbfuck guy calling it "offensive" because "colonization=racism=bad."

Zomg

Arbiter
I read that guy while thinking of my long-time fantasy RPG project where you play as an Aztec family line that gets magical foreknowledge of the invasion a couple hundred years prior and you get a few generations of Darklands-Civilization to prepare the empire to repel the Europeans all across the Americas.

I have my eye on the Colonization II thing but it looks like they haven't touched the Civ IV aesthetic a bit, which makes me wonder how shovelware the game is gonna be.

dagorkan

Arbiter
Zomg said:
Why is it miserable to play it? I reinstalled it recently after being disappointed by FreeCol and it's as fun as ever.

cardtrick

Arbiter
Zomg said:
I read that guy while thinking of my long-time fantasy RPG project where you play as an Aztec family line that gets magical foreknowledge of the invasion a couple hundred years prior and you get a few generations of Darklands-Civilization to prepare the empire to repel the Europeans all across the Americas.

This game must be made.

Zomg

Arbiter
dagorkan said:
Why is it miserable to play it? I reinstalled it recently after being disappointed by FreeCol and it's as fun as ever.

If I had to put my finger on it, there's just way too much micromanagement, like the education system and wagon trains (although that's largely due to the tea party and pathing bugs) and too many "short-circuit" strategies that make big chunks of the game silly. Like, if De Soto is in your first two Founding Father choices, you're gonna win with 300 citizens in 1650, so just restart the game right there.

MaskedMartyr

Liturgist
cardtrick said:
Zomg said:

This game must be made.

Extort the Eurofags for access to tobacco instead. Interesting how you can build an entire empire on the drug trade.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom