Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

recommed a fantasy wargame

Lagi

Savant
should have
- hex
- flying units
- no strategy/macro layout (producing own units, diplomacy)

f.ex.
Fantasy General 1, Fantasy General 2.

f.ex.2
star general would be ok (if not the theme), but not Emperor of Fading Suns.

--opinions?
fantasy wars

shields of loyalty
looks like the game system is bad = its bad

battle isle 3 - wearing, old UI.

battle for wesnoth - i have a bug, where i cant select units at all. Doesnt look like this game evolve much since the last i play it.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
should have
- hex
- flying units

f.ex.

f.ex.2

--opinions?
fantasy wars
shields of loyalty
Warbanner is a skirmish game, but it could fit the bill (I am not sure about flyers, though. I don't think there is any).

As for Fantasy Wars/Elven Legacy, both are pretty solid remakes of FG1. I would recommend them.
You could also play Warhammer 40K: Rites of War: Basically FG: 40K.

I am not sure there are that many options actually.
I saw some fantasy mods for the operational Art of War.

Edit: Battle of Wesnoth obviously

Comte_II

should have
- hex
- flying units

f.ex.

f.ex.2

--opinions?
fantasy wars
shields of loyalty

Fantasy wars!!!!!!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If Star General works, you can still play Battle Isle 3 or its remake, Battle Worlds Kronos (but BI3 is the better game).

Lagi

Savant
warbanner is good (drums of war even better)

Brigandine - sorry I dont find Japanese aesthetics (1000x numbers, acrobatic attacks, splash effects, disco lights, overly sexualized women, ornamentation that hinder performance, everyone looking like teenagers at best ...) appeal to my taste.

fantasy wars on my list then

strategic layer in absolute minimum. F.ex. in total war (or HMM3) you make an unbeatable army from the start, and the battles are just formality 99% of the time.

I played Battle of Wesnoth quite a lot. With the mods that add custom factions (age less era?). campaigns were (are) very good in Wesnoth, plots are very enjoyable to follow. I put it on my list too.

Spellcross looks weird. Fantasy orcs vs modern armoured transporters?
Gatts_4bd99ee27d0be.jpg

Zodiac legion looks interesting

i played Battle Isle 3, i remember moving all your units one by one become wearing after some time, unless i dont figure out something there. Maybe i check the remake, even if it look like candy crush.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Brigandine - sorry I dont find Japanese aesthetics (1000x numbers, acrobatic attacks, splash effects, disco lights, overly sexualized women, ornamentation that hinder performance, everyone looking like teenagers at best ...) appeal to my taste.

You could've at least looked at it before spouting nonsense but whatever.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom