Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Recomend me some weeboo gems.

hexer

Hmmm, I'm a Nier fanatic so I'll recommend Nier Automata.
And I recently started Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk to fix my dungeon crawling needs and Dragon's Dogma for free-roaming fun.

Silentstorm

Learned
Labyrinth Of Refrain is fun, plus you get to go to a gnome kingdom where everyone is tiny and go around smashing their little houses or jumping over their mazes.

Lode Runner Legacy was made by a japanese developer and it's good old Lode Runner, in that there is a whole new adventure AND the original game with all of it's levels, plus more extra levels, plus character creator and level editor, though it sadly uses voxel graphics...even in the classic Lode Runner mode.

And this is just a curiosity, A Magical High School Girl:
FC3FCDD820E7A722B1469299C552D0F7E23E5DF2

It's a roguelite with some neat ideas though i wish there was more variety in levels and enemies, still, it's a game about a high school girl being forced into a magical world where there are lots of gems which you can name and the name will give you a different spell, AKA, YOU CREATE YOUR OWN SPELLS, part of the fun is writing silly stuff and seeing what you get, and yes, writing Kamehameha leads into that.

Just find it worth mentioning a game where you are a witch that can do a freaking kamehameha and where every spell can be names of spells or attacks from other series and games, if you want, you could do a game where every spell is the name of an Ultima character if for some insane reason you wanted to, not perfect, but again, thought it would be worth a mention.

Exhuminator

Arcane
With threads like this, I feel like I'm just dropping words into a void. It's difficult to get anyone to give your recommendations credence when they have no idea who you are, or your personal gaming history. But what the hell; here's a top 12 JRPGs from a dude who's been gaming since 1982:

Demon's Souls
Dragon Quest VIII
Front Mission 4
Gargoyle's Quest
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy XII
Phantasy Star
Phantasy Star IV
Shadow Hearts
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Vagrant Story
Valkyria Chronicles

So that's what I recommend first and foremost. Various genres there, but all are RPG-derivatives.

hexer

Will they port Persona 5 to PC?
I didn't know about it until I found its cool bass-heavy soundtrack on YT.
Seems like an interesting game.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
My problem with JRPGs:

95% of random encounters are boring slog where you can win by just spamming the attack button !

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My problem with JRPGs:

95% of random encounters are boring slog where you can win by just spamming the attack button !

I think that's the point with j-rpgs. You defeat weak minions while playing braindead and when you face a mini-boss or a boss, you have to play "seriously". They prove they are bosses not just by having tons of health and damage, but also by requesting more effort by the player.

ultra loser

Scholar
Seriously op, did you too fall for the "FF8 is bad" meme?

I think that's the point with j-rpgs. You defeat weak minions while playing braindead and when you face a mini-boss or a boss, you have to play "seriously". They prove they are bosses not just by having tons of health and damage, but also by requesting more effort by the player.
Unless it's some bonus side boss with six trillion hp, usually spamming attack is enough for bosses too, you just have to heal sometimes.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Depends on the game. There are jrpgs with good combat even for random encounters, and a lot where although you can win random encounters with attack spam, the challenge is in the strategic aspect of managing resources through the dungeon so you don't get to the boss with no magic or items left.

Then there are casualtard games where you can just autpilot your way through everything.

Silentstorm

Learned
Yeah, that seems to be the general case, it's either easy all the way except for maybe one or two fights, or the bosses are the only threat.

Kinda seeing that with Labyrinth Of Refrain now, sure, i am not that far into the game, but so far, anything but bosses and those giant trolls(i assume so since the game warns me to not mess with them) can be easily dealt with normal attacks, even the dancers and mages can go ahead and just whack enemies, add the fact that my characters can restore HP after each battle(if i decide to not stockpile EXP) and you get a game where i pretty much only bring out the spells for big fights.

...Probably didn't help that i quickly went to mess with the synthesis option once it came around to give everyone improved equipment that is better than almost everything i find on the dungeons...ahh, JRPG's, sometimes they are easy because the developer just wants you to see the story, and sometimes you just make your characters too strong just because you try to explore everything and try everything the game lets you.

Silentstorm

Learned
It can get boring though, barely 10 hours in and i have gotten tired of Refrain's combat and thinking i wasted money, i genuinely just use auto attack through most battles, but it's gotten so dull that even looking at equipment and changing characters became boring.

There are some enemies that hit harder, but they are too few and once you know what they do, there's nothing stopping you from just using items or equipment that negate their abilities, wouldn't be so bad and i could feel clever about that, but the game gives you so much money, equipment and items that it doesn't even feel like work getting to the bosses.

Even exploration has gotten a bit dull, it's funny, it's a lot more creative in terms of design and changes locations more than, say, Vaporum, but when Vaporum ended, i still wanted more and never really got tired of the whole place it's set in.

Basically, Refrain is a game where i kinda feel like it would have been better off as a visual novel, or a game where the enemies are harder at least, it's just...it just feels too simple at this point and i can feel it going towards Disgaea's direction, AKA, being easy until you meet someone uberstrong and then spend hours grinding in a place purposefully made for EXP farming rather than coming with creative solutions.

Or maybe it's not the kind of game you can play for some hours and not get tired of, i don't know, there are dungeon crawlers where i didn't feel like that.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Masturbation is like playing a JRPG. I just spam the attack button!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom