Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Realms of Arkania HD Remake Announced

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't like the zoomed in look of this shot. Would much rather see an overhead combat screen shot, not this FPS perspective. At least there's a grid...
Pretty sure that's a F3-like fatality shot.

turrican

Educated
A youtube video with four minutes of gameplay:

The mountains and the whole rather spartan looking outside environment is positively reminiscent of Wizardy 8. The turn based combat (1:24) is also a positive incline, and I hope these camera zooms can be completely disabled. Still, they could have made one of the DSA p&p modules into a game instead of remaking this.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
This looks very promising indeed, and since I skipped the first Realms of Arkania game I really hope this remake will be completed.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's good but nearly as good as #2, Star Trail. It's considered much better than #3, Shadows over Riva (though I actually like #3 for the interface improvements).
It suffers from having a lot of "fuck you, you die now" moments unless you're genre-savy or use a walkthrough. Not a problem for me; considering Star Trail has them too (and probably more of them; there is a ton of ways to cock up Star Trail).

The older interface can be a handful, though. And navigating the cities is a bit of a pain since everything looks the bloody same. Also you can only shoot in straight lines, which is bullshit. And saving costs XP unless you save at a temple - which again I am fine with, but which is kinda bullshit for a CRPG of that era.

So... it's not awesome but it's a great RPG and well worth playing, but lying about its many flaws will do nobody any good.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Loved the originals and while the game looks like it wants to pick out a lot of what once made it good it's also looking as if the translation of the older mechanics into 2013 isn't going that smoothly. Why not make a pretty blobber instead of going for crappy looking free-roaming for instance? Mildly curious about this one, though admittedly mostly from nostalgia.

Johannes

Arcane
Hopefully the UI will be much better, and the useless skills somehow revamped, or even removed (the ones that were used nowhere).

They should have kept step-based movement though, definitely.

:Flash:

Arcane
Hopefully the UI will be much better, and the useless skills somehow revamped, or even removed (the ones that were used nowhere).
Why are people still complaining about unused skills?
RoA was supposed to be a pc module for the DSA system. And that is what it is. It includes the full ruleset, faithfully implemented.
It is absolutely normal for Pen&Paper RPGs that not every skill is used in every module. So why should it be different in CRPGs?
RoA offers the possibility to print out the character sheets, and the manual explicitly mentions that the idea is to use the characters in P&P modules.

Johannes

Arcane
RoA was supposed to be a pc module for the DSA system. And that is what it is. It includes the full ruleset, faithfully implemented.
It is absolutely normal for Pen&Paper RPGs that not every skill is used in every module. So why should it be different in CRPGs?
RoA offers the possibility to print out the character sheets, and the manual explicitly mentions that the idea is to use the characters in P&P modules.
Because I care about getting a good and intuitive computer game instead of that crap.

:Flash:

Arcane
Because I care about getting a good and intuitive computer game instead of that crap.
Intuitive. :codexisfor:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Why isn't it 2D?
Can they make it 2D?

Haha, you know, after Ishar, the Realms of Arkania games have my favorite pixel art. The pixel art in Shadows Over Riva is truly fantastic, especially the faces of people in buildings, and extremely charming in Star Trail and Blade of Destiny. Unfortunately, it's a lot more time consuming to make 2D art than 3D, but I'm still pretty excited for this even if graphically, it might be a step down.

20-ch1020.png

I'll never forget this dude's face. I hope they can upscale or remake this in HD for Shadows Over Riva.

Oh man, look what I just found -

When I was like 10 I had a crush on that woman at 6:38. I felt really bad when she dies : (

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Yeah, the 2D graphics had a charm that might get lost in the new version.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom