Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Real speech skills in NWN2?

Texas Red

Whiner
suibhne said:
This is a silly argument, anyway. If you're going to compare NWN 2 to anything it should be KotOR 2, not the original, since 2 was done by some of the same peeps as NWN 2. And, aside from the totally sucktastic ending and some half-baked characters (like the Jedi Masters), KotOR 2 had much better and more branching dialogue than the original.

For the last time its not Obsidians fault! And besides, there *is* an ending. Multiply ones, actually. The Restoration Project should be done soon(or perhaps it already is, I havent checked). It will add all of the missing content, including the real endings.

I cant understand you Volourn. How can you like the 1st one better. I mean, what the hell, a 14-year old alien chick killing dozens of sith...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"For the last time its not Obsidians fault!"

They made the game. It is their fault for both the good and bad.

"How can you like the 1st one better. I mean, what the hell, a 14-year old alien chick killing dozens of sith..."

Oh, please. Like KOTOR2 didn't have its share of silliness. Like the barely 18 year odl assassin that was an 'equal' to the bgiant furball or the stupid main villain everyone knew was the main villain but was forced to travel with, and so on.

I prefer KOTOR1 because the story was better, the dialogue was better written (though KOTOR2 wins with using skills in dialogue though), the character interaction wa s superior without the lame overhyped and overrated 'influence' junk, while KOTOR's combat was not so good it still beat out KOTOR2's, and the ph@t and levlling in KOTOR2 was beyond silly.

Don't get me wrong, the games are about equal as KOTOR2 does certain things thing like the above mentioned skills in dialogue stuff. KOTOR just edges out because I didn't have to shake my head at some of the above the call lameness ie. Kreia.

suibhne

Erudite
The Walkin' Dude said:
For the last time its not Obsidians fault! And besides, there *is* an ending. Multiply ones, actually. The Restoration Project should be done soon(or perhaps it already is, I havent checked). It will add all of the missing content, including the real endings/

For the last time, I never said it was Obsidian's fault. Idee fixe much? :P

If you were responding to Vol rather than to me, lrn2quoteplz. :wink:

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
"For the last time its not Obsidians fault!"

They made the game. It is their fault for both the good and bad.

Their fault, is it? They had to rush it out to meet the Christmas sales. The endings and other content was *done* but they didnt have the time to implent it. They had a year to make KotOR 2 and it was their first game.

Volourn said:
"How can you like the 1st one better. I mean, what the hell, a 14-year old alien chick killing dozens of sith..."

Oh, please. Like KOTOR2 didn't have its share of silliness. Like the barely 18 year odl assassin that was an 'equal' to the bgiant furball or the stupid main villain everyone knew was the main villain but was forced to travel with, and so on.

Volourn said:
I prefer KOTOR1 because the story was better, the dialogue was better written (though KOTOR2 wins with using skills in dialogue though), the character interaction wa s superior without the lame overhyped and overrated 'influence' junk, while KOTOR's combat was not so good it still beat out KOTOR2's, and the ph@t and levlling in KOTOR2 was beyond silly.

I agree that the leveling was quite lame. But nor was it very exiting in the 1st one either. I just cant see how you can like the dialogs more of KotOR 1. Its beyond comprehension!

And the story... you could see the twist a mile away. And after that *nothing* happened. Its like the story ended in the middle of the game.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
It's better than KOTOR2's lame twist that Kreia was the 'big bad' when I called it as soon as I saw her faking being dead. LOL

And, yes, it is Obsidian's fault KOTOR2 was 'rushed' (even though it wasn't since it was always scheduled for a Christmas release). They agreed to the contract. If they didn't think they could do the game justice in the time given they should have said no. Bottom line is that obsidianw as guilty of poor planning. They have admitted this. I wish their foolish fanboys would accept that.

Texas Red

Whiner
Volourn said:
It's better than KOTOR2's lame twist that Kreia was the 'big bad' when I called it as soon as I saw her faking being dead. LOL

And, yes, it is Obsidian's fault KOTOR2 was 'rushed' (even though it wasn't since it was always scheduled for a Christmas release). They agreed to the contract. If they didn't think they could do the game justice in the time given they should have said no. Bottom line is that obsidianw as guilty of poor planning. They have admitted this. I wish their foolish fanboys would accept that.

And who do you think would be more fit for the job? There was nobody beside Obsidian!

Drakron

Arcane
KotOR dialogue is better because its more natural, also its not as pretentious as KotOR2 dialogue.

Also there is a big diference of Revan and Kreia, as you really could not do anything about Reven until after the discovery were you could follow one of the 2 paths, Kreia was a damn hag that we had to keep around as a master even if we disagreed with her and wanted to ditch her.

KotOR2 seen to be trying hard to be PS:T2 expect what can work in PS is out of place in SW ... that is why it failed, I wanted Star Wars and not pseudointellectual crap.

elander_

Arbiter
KOTOR2 ia not NWN2. The first was a mess with a ton of cuted content and the last one we don't know yet how much cuts it will get. Besides CA is working on his natural environment that is a phantasy world similar to Planescape -- The Forgoten Realms or whatever they call it.

Veracity

Liturgist
piydek said:
isn't starwars pseudointellectual crap?
Star Wars isn't intellectual, pseudo or otherwise. Not personally sure I see how KOTOR2 was, either - melodramatic, uneven, unfinished, and doubtless un-various other things, sure, but I don't recall grating intellectual posturing as one of its problems.

Volourn said:
It's better than KOTOR2's lame twist that Kreia was the 'big bad'
Damn your spoilerific eyes. I'm fairly sure that wasn't supposed to be any kind of twist, any more than the player character's reluctance to make small talk about having overseen genocide was meant to indicate amnesia.

Aasimar are the half-angel 'race', right? Didn't know they were much for making a living as pub dancers, but I'm not that familiar with the setting; heavens, someone of a cynical bent might even suspect a smidgeon of gratuitous fanservice. What the heck, I guess it's at least got novelty over yet another improbably-proportioned elf chick.

elander_ said:
CA is working on his natural environment that is a phantasy world similar to Planescape -- The Forgoten Realms or whatever they call it
They're both DnD, but I don't think they're all that similar; the only way I'd say this fits the 'natural environment' description is in the broader sense that Obsidian is putting together its own scenairo in someone else's intellectual property.

Zomg

Arbiter
I have a hard time judging KotOR2 because it's so messed up structurally. It's like trying to rate how beautiful a woman's features are when she's a head and part of a torso. They set up the retcon system very, very poorly - conflating roleplaying a character with trying to feed the player an "enigmatic backstory" narrative works awfully, but I don't know if that's bad design or incomplete game. The ending is the ending - just genuinely, full-blown missing. The pacing and distribution is completely fucked, too. But some of the parts that are there and unmarred by the *bad choices*/*missing content* in the retcon system seem relatively good, and the lawnmowing dungeon crawls don't seem that bad for the general state of the genre.

Drakron

Arcane
Veracity said:
Star Wars isn't intellectual, pseudo or otherwise. Not personally sure I see how KOTOR2 was, either - melodramatic, uneven, unfinished, and doubtless un-various other things, sure, but I don't recall grating intellectual posturing as one of its problems.

Its a language thing, KotOR2 dialogue was more akin to PS:T with use of "heavy words" that removed a more natural flow of speech.

One of KotOR2 biggest flaw was trying to address the exact nature of the Force and the concept of "destiny" but it falls on the face because it presents it on absolute, Kreia concept is never called upon by ANY character in the game so as far the game universe is Kreia IS right and that pretty much fucks up any possible argument that makes any atempt to disprove it simply impossible, not say they dont even bother to present much of a case to start with.

Perhaps you dont feel that way but I certainly do ...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I liked KOTOR2 more than 1 cuz it was much more JRPG-ish and had better characters lolz

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And who do you think would be more fit for the job? There was nobody beside Obsidian!"

Never said the game was bad, moron. they did fine. once again, let's be clear, I give the slight edge to KOTOR1; but that's slight. How does that end up being'KOTOR2 sucked, and it should have beena nother dveloepr! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!?'

Voss

Erudite
Veracity said:
Damn your spoilerific eyes. I'm fairly sure that wasn't supposed to be any kind of twist, any more than the player character's reluctance to make small talk about having overseen genocide was meant to indicate amnesia.

Yeah, but the handling was just lacking. I didn't even know my character had a backstory for a significant portion of the game, then suddenly people are asking about atrocities the character apparently committed. Huh? What? And the dialogue options certainly don't reflect any sort of self-knowledge.

IRC, Obsidian talked up the 'big twist'.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom