Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

R.U.S.E

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
So I'm playing this during the Free Weekend offered on Steam. Despite a few stability issues and slightly unintuitive controls, I think this is a decent RTS that has the potential to be better than the competition and specifically Starcraft 2.

Warning: image files are PNG compressed 1680x1050, but otherwise they are untouched.

When you start a new game, you get this:

RUSE game field overview.

This allows me to view the entire battlefield and manage my guys in real time. I wish Starcraft 2 had this as well.

The game then lets you seamlessly zoom in to see your base and lets you start building your shit:

RUSE base view.

But what I like most about this game is that it models unit movement more realistically. What I mean is that roads and map sections are now formalized in the game and units actually make use of roads in their pathfinding. I like this feature very much.

You start the game by issuing an order to a builder truck to build a supply depot. This provides money (the only resource in the game) by establishing a supply line between the depot and your HQ building. In the image you can see how the builder truck (which doesn't actually exist as a command-able entity in the game, but is actually spawned by the HQ when you issue a build order) will move and the supply route that will be established:

RUSE building.

Here's what it looks like in the heat of battle:

RUSE battle

More later!

AdmiralHugbunny

Educated
Having played it for a few hours, I can see how it could get boring after a while. I loved the ability to zoom out and see the entire battlefield. I liked the hidden unit mechanics where you can't be sure exactly what your enemy has fielded. That said, I feel the gameplay lacks depth and the units all look, feel and play the same, more or less.

I'd say this game has great potential but may be suffering from too much Ubisoft next-gen dumb-down involvement. My ideal RTS would have mechanisms in place to reduce the amount of micromanagement I have to do so that I could focus on the bigger strategic picture. I hope that smarter units aren't too much to ask for...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom