Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline R.I.P. — List of MT-32-compatible computer games page has been deleted from Wikipedia

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
lmao the deletion article

why isn't it notable?
it's not
why?
It's not my job to teach you the rules

same exact guy maintains this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_soundtracks_on_music_streaming_platforms

apparently this is notable...?
They have this maybe well-intentioned, but ultimately severely outdated concept and ideal of a 19th century classic encyclopedia. We know that doesn't work anymore, and I mentioned that in my comments, but they chose to conveniently ignore it...

So this means that you need to cite articles written by some random dudes to "prove" the notability of whatever you want to include.

But where this gets retarded is that apparently the box art, the manual, or sites like Mobygames don't count (why?), and the even weirder thing, check out the references section of the list Rusty posted above — it's full of Twitter posts. Fuck me if that counts as a valid reference according to their standards.

Last edited:

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hello. I am an anonymous Wikipedia user called FreeMediaKid! (formerly Gamingforfun365).

I am currently working as an intern to earning one or multiple tertiary degrees. When I do complete education, one will be able to refer to me as a tool-maker, an "artist in the broadest sense", a programmer, and an entrepreneur. That is because I see art as the most pleasing form of media, I am interested in finding ways to boost productivity, and I like the idea of making jobs. With the tools that I am interested in developing, I would like to show off some of my work, specifically in the fields of gaming, music, filming, and books/comics. I am the type of person willing to master what it takes to do those.

When I am not working, I like to engage in hobbies that satisfy my curiosity or distract me from stress overload. I like to study science (especially how things work), political philosophy, and languages.
what the fuck
I prefer to refer to him as a dickhead and a moron, even before he gets his degrees.

Last edited:

Viata

Arcane
Wikipedia is trash, among the worse sites out there. The king is still Archive.org. The day they delete Archive will be the day the internet lost any reason to exist.
Thanks to Archive I can read old gaming magazines, computer magazines and whatnot from all over the world back when gaming journos knew how to play games.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Wikipedia is trash, among the worse sites out there. The king is still Archive.org. The day they delete Archive will be the day the internet lost any reason to exist.
Thanks to Archive I can read old gaming magazines, computer magazines and whatnot from all over the world back when gaming journos knew how to play games.
Fully agree, I'm personally starting to upload and archive important stuff on archive.org (e.g. certain YouTube videos that contain some useful content, e.g. recordings of real hardware in action, etc, before they get taken down for some stupid reason).

I very much encourage people to donate money to archive.org instead of Wikipedia (if you feel like donating a small amount).

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, just for that Wikipedia won't be getting that $3.00 donation that I almost gave them over the last 5 years or so when they started doing that "Please Give!" nag screen. You blew it, Wiki. I was right on the precipice of giving one of these years and you do this!

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, just for that Wikipedia won't be getting that $3.00 donation that I almost gave them over the last 5 years or so when they started doing that "Please Give!" nag screen. You blew it, Wiki. I was right on the precipice of giving one of these years and you do this!
Give it to archive.org instead it's literally the most valuable site on the internet, and it's much less mainstream-known.

Victor1234

Educated
I generally like archive.org, but what I don't like is when they take old books (that would be free on Project Gutenberg because the copyright expired) and charge for reading them. If they are sorted into certain collections on archive, they require an account to be 'borrowed' for 7/14 days, like it was a library or something (even though it's a digital copy...) and you can only read them online through the site, not download. A hassle, but ok, at least it's still free.

Certain other collections though, you can't even do the borrowing system, you just get redirected to buy the book from somewhere. There were some really cool American Revolutionary War memoirs (where the copyright holder is obviously long dead) that I didn't end up reading because archive.org decided to have a system entry only that redirects to some publisher's website.

Viata

Arcane
Archive was forced to introduce it because a lot of publishers and authors wanted to sue them for letting people download those books freely. There are methods to still download those books, however.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Archive was forced to introduce it because a lot of publishers and authors wanted to sue them for letting people download those books freely. There are methods to still download those books, however.

Internet Archive isn't a neutral platform even ignoring the publishers thing.

They started adding fact checks to old newspaper articles that are archived, and have even actively deleted many newspapers articles that were archived, especially in regards to political topics like Covid etc. I'm not talking about fringe articles either, but retarded articles by major newspapers.

Same thing happened with some 9/11 articles too for some reason. The glowies are playing the long game here.

Archive.org is better than wikipedia for sure, but at the end of the day its still information actively controlled, deleted, or "fact checked" for political purposes.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Archive.org is better than wikipedia for sure, but at the end of the day its still information actively controlled, deleted, or "fact checked" for political purposes.
Good that I don't care about political shit then :) It's a fine place for archiving retro-gaming related material, that's all I care about.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good that I don't care about political shit then :) It's a fine place for archiving retro-gaming related material, that's all I care about.

Video games are modern political fodder rincewind.

Just because you aren't interesting in the "war" doesn't mean it won't come for things you like.

Dave the Druid

Educated
I disagree. Wikipedia's list of Bisexual anime characters is fucking hilarious
Kuyac3A.png

KDigWxm.png

UEN7I9h.png

8gpxPzU.png

OtL9Zsw.png

05xP2v0.png

r3esM9b.png

ANdaLnN.png

3g4rsZZ.png

3O8ZZDO.png

HWgY5Yv.png

bsw5Fg6.png

t6zuoMU.png

Oh, and this one isn't particularly funny but the title's just too fucking good:
XB4mXXN.png

The whole list portion is almost 5,500 words long.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I remember when Wikipedia screwed around with their list of emulators article so it was no longer a list of emulators as much as a list of noteworthy emulators. Really annoyed me at the time because it was the best place to find emulators. Wikipedia is really a terrible place if you need accurate, its just there if you need something quick and easy, the fast food of knowledge. Just be thankful that other places keep a list of games that use it, not every deletion is going to have that.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
lmao the deletion article

why isn't it notable?
it's not
why?
It's not my job to teach you the rules

same exact guy maintains this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_soundtracks_on_music_streaming_platforms

apparently this is notable...?
They have this maybe well-intentioned, but ultimately severely outdated concept and ideal of a 19th century classic encyclopedia. We know that doesn't work anymore, and I mentioned that in my comments, but they chose to conveniently ignore it...

So this means that you need to cite articles written by some random dudes to "prove" the notability of whatever you want to include.

But where this gets retarded is that apparently the box art, the manual, or sites like Mobygames don't count (why?), and the even weirder thing, check out the references section of the list Rusty posted above — it's full of Twitter posts. Fuck me if that counts as a valid reference according to their standards.
BRO THIS IS PEAK INTERNET

A FEW TWTTER POSTS BY A FEW ALTS AND YOU ARE THE ONE WRITING HXSTORY

LOLLOLOL

gaussgunner

Arcane

I guess this makes yet another case as to why there should be more than one of these kinds of sites. This kind of thing has happened with videos, etc, so it shouldn't surprise me it would hit the "online encyclopedia" too.
Archive.org is a good place to store things without being afraid of censorship and stuff. Then so are more specific wikis and websites, such as the Vogons wiki I linked.
No it isn't! They're the same group of censorious commie kike faggots.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just read the deletion page arguments. Pure bureaucratic nonsense.

Wikipedia editors just enjoy the pathetic power trip.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik

I guess this makes yet another case as to why there should be more than one of these kinds of sites. This kind of thing has happened with videos, etc, so it shouldn't surprise me it would hit the "online encyclopedia" too.
Archive.org is a good place to store things without being afraid of censorship and stuff. Then so are more specific wikis and websites, such as the Vogons wiki I linked.
No it isn't! They're the same group of censorious commie kike faggots.
The owner of Archive.org* is related to Taylor Lorenz (some press whore) and deleted a ton of old information, including her tweets, at her request when she fucked up on the internet..

“It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."

(wiki mods do it for free, but the spirit is still there)

You could try adding the list under a subsection of the Roland MT-32 page, it already has two subsections devoted to games so the problem isn't the game-related content, but that it's a list and DA RULES say that lists by themselves don't have notability. I noticed it already includes a link to the vogonswiki page at the end, so the sperg will probably still delete it but might work.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
so the sperg will probably still delete it but might work.

He will have made it his life mission to relentlessly ensure it doesn't end up back on the wiki.

Really for no other reason than because enforcing the arbitrary rules makes him feel good.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
so the sperg will probably still delete it but might work.

He will have made it his life mission to relentlessly ensure it doesn't end up back on the wiki.

Really for no other reason than because enforcing the arbitrary rules makes him feel good.
Rules and laws were invented to serve people, not the other way around. Some people just don't get it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom