Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quick Civilisation/Strategy Game Question

I remember a game like Civilisation where once you gain the ability to build a rocket you get a new vertical level to build on in space. You could also build advertising blimps, that's all I remember unfortunately.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
It was a Civ clone. Had most of what Civ 2 (3?) had at the time. Added "space" as a flat level on top of shit. "Park Bomb" was fun (turned a city into terrain, like a hippie bomb - so meant re-colonisation of other continents was a blast without having to disband cities because of shitty AI placement). Grouping units and moving them as a group (an army I think - or is that a Civ4 thing now?) was fun. Actually what really pisses me off about Civ now is not being able to group units and move them as one block.

Fun if Civ isn't doing it for you but it's not all that different from Civ.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
It was shitty due to the ridiculous lack of challenge. Even playing on ''impossible'' was like yeah, whatever, i won again.
Redeeming point was the fact that there was a ''fascist'' unit.

DarkUnderlord said:
It was a Civ clone. Had most of what Civ 2 (3?) had at the time. Added "space" as a flat level on top of shit. "Park Bomb" was fun (turned a city into terrain, like a hippie bomb - so meant re-colonisation of other continents was a blast without having to disband cities because of shitty AI placement). Grouping units and moving them as a group (an army I think - or is that a Civ4 thing now?) was fun. Actually what really pisses me off about Civ now is not being able to group units and move them as one block.
Of course you can move units as blocks...

Korgan

Arbiter
I liked how it was about a conflict between whole civilizations and ways of life, with units like abolitionists and televangelists undermining the foundations of other societies, not just the usual spies/agents stuff. That looked p. paranoid, though.

mondblut

Arcane
Somewhere there was also a fantasy map with 3 planes - surface, underwater and sky.

Or was it Test of Time? No, ToT was probably just a scenario pack to Civ2, there was a fantasy themed one, but just a reskin of the original.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Test of Time had the fantasy scenario with multiple planes, as well as a sci-fi scenario. It was also a stand-alone product, the scenario pack to Civ2 was called Fantastic Worlds.

Anyway, CtP was just too unbalanced with very powerful units, like the slaver or lawyer, that can easily cripple another civ.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
You could easily rule the world since after the appropriate techs you could colonize seas and space. Eventually you ended up with 200 cities around the world - if that does not allow you to win easily, you are playing the wrong game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom