Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Question regarding Ultima 7 - The Black Gate

Thorndyke

Novice
How does the game deal with stealing?
There doesn't seem to be anything in the game to prevent me from just walking into every single house and emptying it. Is there some kind of hidden karma value which decreases with every theft or will Iolo eventually get mad at me if I keep doing this? I'm asking because right now it seems a little too easy to become rich in this game.

Sorry if this is a rather dull question to you, but I've never played any of the Ultimas before because the idea of beeing forced to play as the Avatar disgusted me, so I really don't know how things like that are handled.

Visbhume

Prophet
Ahhhh... the memories.

In the original version of the game, if you steal for long enough, your companions will get angry at you and eventually leave the party. And if you steal something valuable in front of his owner, he will attack you most of the time.

If you are palying through Exult, things may be different, I don't know. They have tweaked the game quite a bit.

Why, after all the years since Ultima VII, almost no other RPG has implemented that? It adds a lot to the immersion in the gameworld.

Limorkil

Liturgist
Ultima VII is still the best RPG I've played (note: I never played Fallout or Arcanum, before you ask; I would like to if I could find them).

U7 had very few flaws except for a few bugs and those annoying pop-up containers. If that Exult project has yielded a complete version that can be played all the way through then I am going to have to give it a shot.

All I remember about stealing is being attacked if I picked up stuff that belonged to someone by mistake.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
The last version of Exult I played (about a year ago) didn't have stealing implemented - you could take anything you wanted. I don't know if they fixed that.

Thorndyke

Novice
Thanks everyone. I'll stay on the safe side and won't steal from the villagers.
If that Exult project has yielded a complete version that can be played all the way through then I am going to have to give it a shot.
Their website says the current version can be finished without cheating.

Mendoza

Liturgist
Thorndyke said:
Thanks everyone. I'll stay on the safe side and won't steal from the villagers.
If that Exult project has yielded a complete version that can be played all the way through then I am going to have to give it a shot.
Their website says the current version can be finished without cheating.

It's been completable without cheating for ages, I played it over a year ago with no problems. I didn't realise stealing wasn't implemented properly, but having party members abandon you the first time I ever played it put me off stealing pretty quick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom