Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Psychonauts is super, super fun.

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
I've been playing it for free on Gametap and it's probably the most fun I've had playing a game in a long time. It reminds me of what Disney World would be like if Tim Burton and Roald Dahl designed it. I've actually been playing it with my seven year old daughter and it's a blast. If you haven't played it, I highly recommend this little gem. Get it while you can for free!

Edit: Oh, be warned, it's an adventure game, but it's also a platformer. However, I tend to not like platformers due to their obtuse and irritating jumping puzzles and stuff, but this one really integrates the two genres well. I find the jumping puzzles to be far less annoying than other platformers, so even if you hate these kind of games, this one is still worth a try.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i hate platformers but really really loved psychonauts for the exploration, setting, and awesome humor. loved it enough to actually finish it, even though i had to spend 2 hours at the stupid circus climb at the end, like a lot of other people....

also don't get it for free, buy it on steam for 20 bucks. it's totally worth it (unlike hinterland).
hell, the milkman level alone is worth paying 20 bucks for.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Something about Psychonauts gives me motion sickness :(
I never have this problem with any other games, so it's quite weird, and also quite sad. If only a single game in the world makes me sick, couldn't it have been Fallout 3 or some other crap I don't want to play anyway?

Pastel

Scholar
I didn't find the gameplay fun at all. Jumping puzzles plus zapping censors were boring. I only got to that level where you finally get to kill that monster when I quit. Is it more worthwhile later on?
Shame, really, because I loved the idea and all that. But if exploring the mysteries of the mind only comes down to killing stuff and jumping on stuff, it's not really that deep or interesting.

Ion Flux

Savant
SuicideBunny said:
also don't get it for free, buy it on steam for 20 bucks. it's totally worth it (unlike hinterland).
hell, the milkman level alone is worth paying 20 bucks for.

Yeah, I'm actually planning to buy it when I'm finished. It's a classic worth owning. I hate Steam though. Whatever happened to actual disks anyway? I like having something physical in my inventory, you know?

Ion Flux

Savant
Pastel said:
I didn't find the gameplay fun at all. Jumping puzzles plus zapping censors were boring. I only got to that level where you finally get to kill that monster when I quit. Is it more worthwhile later on?
Shame, really, because I loved the idea and all that. But if exploring the mysteries of the mind only comes down to killing stuff and jumping on stuff, it's not really that deep or interesting.

To be honest I haven't actually finished it yet, so it may get worse as I continue to play, but it's been so fun and charming thus far that I'm skeptical about it going truly bad later on. It's certainly possible though.

Anyway, I wouldn't really call the game "deep", but it is a lot of fun, mainly because of the writing, art design, characters, and setting. The gameplay is fun enough for me not to detract from the other, more engaging aspects.

Ion Flux

Savant
Spectacle said:
Something about Psychonauts gives me motion sickness :(
I never have this problem with any other games, so it's quite weird, and also quite sad. If only a single game in the world makes me sick, couldn't it have been Fallout 3 or some other crap I don't want to play anyway?

Take some Dramamine and drink a bunch of Mountain Dew. It's worth it.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Whatever you do stay away from the PS2 version. Major framerate issues.

The thing I love about Psychonauts is that while other games are content to introduce a single basic paradigm, and then just continue to crank up the difficulty level on that, Psychonauts introduces a new mechanic on almost every level, and does it well. Tim Schafer is one of my gaming heroes.

Radisshu

Prophet
Psychonauts is great. The beginning is half-assed, though and the very last level SUCKS. It really really sucks. Everything in the middle is wonderful, though.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ion Flux said:
I hate Steam though.
understandable. i prefer gamer's gate and gog myself, they are much better.
Whatever happened to actual disks anyway? I like having something physical in my inventory, you know?
might not be available everywhere and as far as i'm aware steam's the only place you can get it for sure.

Ion Flux said:
To be honest I haven't actually finished it yet, so it may get worse as I continue to play, but it's been so fun and charming thus far that I'm skeptical about it going truly bad later on. It's certainly possible though.
the last level isn't all bad, but theres a REALLY SHITTY AND ANNOYING climbing sequence, and the ending is pretty meh, but milkman conspiracy, goggalor, and the napoleon level more than make up for that.

Seboss

Liturgist
The Gogglor sequence and the Milkman level are among my life-time favourite gaming memories.

Radisshu

Prophet
Seboss said:
The Gogglor sequence and the Milkman level are among my life-time favourite gaming memories.

Hell yeah. I thought the entire Asylum was really awesome, and the part just before it.

Kiree

Scholar
Andyman Messiah said:
I'm afraid to ask but I will anyway: what was wrong with most of Psychonaut's gameplay?
I wouldn't say there's anything wrong with it, apart from controls/camera, which were a pain at times (don't remember the details). Due to auto-aiming and lack of tactical depth, combat rarely felt satisfying, but I guess it was OK for the intended audience. Collecting figments was an unpleasant chore, fortunately it was optional.

I liked the puzzle part of the gameplay, and that's pretty much it.

ushdugery

Scholar
After the title this thread became redundant, maybe you could have added a poll that had 2 options; yes and I agree.

Herbert West

Arbiter
Aye, I've never been a fan of platformers, except for Oddworld which I played a bit. I liked the surprisingly dark setting and the overal style. Psychonauts I played and finished not for the gameplay but for the style and for humour. This game is very good and will make you laugh many a time. It's a shame that it was a commercial flop though, since it deserved to sell great and be remembered as a classic.

Pastel

Scholar
Pastel said:
No, fuck you. I've just finished the game, and it was amazingly fun all throughout. Also the last level was pretty good and not all that hard. Shame for the ridiculously easy final boss fight and the lame ending ("no, son, I actually wanted you to be a psychonaut all along"). But everything before that was simply great.
[/flipflopping]

hiver

I mostly didnt like the toreador level.

Monster in the lake and guard were really good.
I love how they did that running and jumping in a big balloon of air.

PennyAnte

Liturgist
Pastel said:
comes down to killing stuff and jumping on stuff, it's not really that deep or interesting.
That was my reaction, as early as the first time you enter the drill sergeant's mind. I've always hated platformers, no matter how cute or otherwise good.

hal900x

Augur
I really loved this gem, and I don't even enjoy 3D platformers, typically. Right up until the difficulty curve took a ridiculous turn straight up into the stratosphere towards the end. Too bad I was never willing to finish it, due to this. i really had a fantastic time with the first two thirds or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom