Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Project Caesar - Paradox Tinto's New Game

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Start date will be the least of the games inevitable issues.

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I don't care what they say, I'm not buying it (in both senses of the word). I will pirate it though, and if it's not complete trash buy it for 5$ in a year or two while continuing to pirate every dlc as I'm doing with hoi 4 and eu 4.

GoblinMerchant

Literate
EUIV has become bloated. The mission trees drive gameplay too much. There's a bunch of random crap like age bonuses, and hegemonies. Mana sucks as a mechanic. Despite all this, I do love the game, and seeing that they have improved aspects like estates gives me some hope (especially if I ignore the fuck ups).

Pops, potential removal of mana, and revamping mission trees could make for a damn good game. Only concern is content on launch, more so because it's apparently now a 500 year campaign.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I also dislike that they are now including this market goods system of trade and production into every game. It hogs the processor, and doesn't make for fun gameplay, it's like the old games' balancing sliders but without the sliders (a la Vic 3).

How prescient this post was in light of the last DD:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/tinto-talks-9-24th-of-april-2024.1670510/
Welcome to another Tinto Talks, this is the 9th of its kind, where we talk about our very secret game using the codename Project Caesar. And today we continue with the 3rd of the 4 talks we have now about the economy systems of the game. So lets start..

Constructions
In the previous development diary, we mentioned constructions and how you needed lumber for expanding the mines. In this game, almost all constructions require different materials to progress, and if that material is not available in the local market, then that construction is stalled until the material is available. This includes things like road building, shipbuilding, recruiting regiments, building buildings, or expanding R.G.O’s.

nlnBA02bZrw0bZsQH2GVQ0NpqxwwqiqgAoGW8JE_z9_MPDb8uJqXKLR14woyynDUPeon8s17kdwhKN6yq8-GRi6XL_lOdSAmcPRHzWI7Qv9MeyWuCtCwWDEasEuPdXrRAxv6m6DljsMhYyDNtxpuGy4

Not sure why you want another monastery?

For example, building a light ship in the Age of Renaissance requires Naval Supplies, Lumber, Weaponry, Copper, Tin, and Metalworks, while moving your capital requires Paper, Books, Stone, Lumber, Marble, and gold.

Buildings
Buildings are rather important in Project Caesar. There are hundreds of different types of buildings, some can only be built in rural locations, and some require a town or city. Some can only be built in ports, and some can only be built in other countries. Some you can only build when there is no owner of a location. Lots of buildings are unique to cultures, regions, religions, or even to specific tags.

Some buildings can only have 1 level, some have a fixed cap, and some have a cap that scales with the population or development, and so on.

Buildings can also be categorized into three different categories: buildings that can produce goods, buildings that only give effects, and buildings that can only be built by the estates. Those pure estates usually have a drawback to them as well, and it's not easy to remove them

hcdHZO0m2kTU61RRPUWubpP98X7Mo0HI_XzTVd7mvmsaX9ntlTsCF_rFfmIErrOEjhfzQDEo1CedZ-iJCDHEA5tPnh01pr0NT0t5RPss-BWKJKDJW_i-doFBMmwDQseSu1uzF2CeDQ2SIWIvBtdNtz4

Definitely not something we are all that keen on having in here.. it does increase demands for some goods though..

So what about producing buildings then? This is where the truly fun parts of the economy start. Project Caesar has a large amount of different goods. We currently have about 70 different ones that have different needs, some are needed for the military, some are needed solely by pops, some are needed for buildings, and so on.

Producing Buildings in towns and cities go from guilds and workshops to manufactories and mills at the of the game. These include everything from Paper Makers Guilds to Foundries. A producing building outputs one or more types of goods.

Finally, we have buildings that are purely giving an effect. These include Granaries that increase how much food you can store, libraries that increase literacy, different types of forts, buildings that train manpower, port buildings to help with shipbuilding, and much more.

AQk7XaO7abty_VVuMxlVqH48WY7zk666GbEW-VD7PvyV9C3CSPJuaOyMm46XojJU1OOW-kLgVbzcg7dx_5WpNX-d0nujGC_PuifwF0hp3fc27nPzkLl_6xKOpBT9ABoFl5XREaDDVLOm053eUX8QpXw

Some claim you can build Stockades of wood, but we trust only stone!

Almost all buildings though, have a production method, which impacts how they work.

Production methods
All buildings have at least one production method slot with one production method, but many have different methods in each slot, and there are plenty of buildings with multiple production method slots.

What is a production method then?
A production method is a list of goods that are required for a building to function. There are two categories of production methods, those that produce something and those that do not.
As an example, a Castle does not produce any goods, but it still requires Stone, Metalworks, Weaponry, and Tar to function, and if it does not get those goods, then the Castle will not function properly. The effectiveness of a building is based on the lowest available percentage of goods present, and it will only purchase and use required materials in that percentage required. If the market cannot supply enough resources, then it will not work.

The output of the producing building is also scaled by the percentage mentioned above.

h_Uu_FZ1_xAAsG_36S0nz-4DEdR_gFQ7Jzd5wKCIMFcUW5YfQvEhN58LNAedWFUIXUb8OBl3_5U-tJD8w01KS4lHWkVdV1lQXn83jFDnEw-Cjc8nx16PRkhro6XrR79VqshTn8rvqc7zdcOc26VwRws

There are a few options here, but only wood pulp would be profitable here, probably because of the great supply of lumber in this market..

And of course, you can automate the production method selection, which will adapt it on a monthly basis based on what resources are available and what would be profitable. The UI also allows for macro decisions regarding production methods

Other important aspects
Every building requires employed pops to function as well, and those that require “upper class” pops like burghers, clergy, and nobles, also increase the potential for them in the location, making pops slowly promoted. This can be slightly awkward as powerful nobles or clergy construct more buildings that make them more numerous and powerful.

Producing buildings that are not profitable will be closed, and pops will work in other buildings, however, you can always subsidize a building if you require the goods or other benefits it gives.

Speaking of profit. The profit of a building is added to the Tax Base of a location, split among the power of the population in the location.

You can always close and open a building, if you want to manipulate prices, or if you want your pops to work with other things, and you don’t want to destroy a building permanently.

We mentioned last week about different ways to get raw materials, and one way to get it, besides trade, is through a set of rural buildings. These include Lumber Mills that you can build in any wood or forest location to produce lumber, sheep farms, stone quarries, and many more.

7IdmnyGvDXdUqUelM-C2IsaoWecdW31FC7Q1GQgsLgn_esuLEfu8DIgmnntSusTIYkK9BGB8-CQdguA5q_oWzJWvE-85kqNC-yWSym1tC3haBqiZkg_lXMTXUJM9NcKqNVKSETizdqfmKW2bj4-auIo

Yeah, this requires some input.. Might be worth it..

There are stockpiles of goods, but those are in the market. There are buildings you can build that increase the amount they can store, as if you do not have the goods required for a building, unit, or construction, those will not function.

Speaking of markets, that is something we will talk about more next week when we delve deep into the trade system.

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He says buildings go up to manufacturies. This obviously means the game ends before or just at the start of Vic 3's timeline. So 1337-1836. Five centuries.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
I'm not sure there's a better way to do buildings and resources at the level of abstraction of EU5. I've done materials systems for several game genres and I think it is fine given the limitations of being a gsg map painter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom