Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Postapocalyptic adventure games and those that transport protagonist to another world. Any ideas?

Zariusz

Arbiter
Im searching for some titles that either would be set in a postapocalyptic world or alternative world/ another planet or even very far in the future. Kinda like Another World or Axiom Verge but point & click, any recommendations?

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
A New Beginning fits the bill well, too bad it's not a very good game
The Dig is a classic, alien planet scenario
The Longest Journey is about hopping between two alternative worlds, which happen to be complementary

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Voyage: Journey to the Moon. You're a 19th century French scientist who lands on the moon and finds it to be quite inhabited.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Sierra's Lighthouse: The Dark being. You're transferred to a world still crawling its way out from an ancient conflict between technology and nature, to help an abducted scientist and his daughter.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
Beneath a Steel Sky

Not my cup of tea, but there's also Dustbowl, an indie post-apocalyptic adventure game.

Last edited:

Zariusz

Arbiter
Thanks for all suggestions, for now i started playing GOG version of The Dig, it seems like it could be interesting though i wonder if there will be moments where i could screw my playthrough by accident, kinda wonder if there is a patch for higher resolution.

Neuromancer

Augur
It's not Point&Click, but I still like to recommend another game:

If you also like Action Adventures that includes combat beside puzzles, story and exploration, I can highly recommend Outcast.
Some scientists opened a wormhole to another place, which they can't close anymore by themselves. You are send in with a few other scientists to fix the problem from the other side.
You awake alone in another world with alien creatures around you with their own society and ecosystem. You have to find some probes that were send from earth and also have to track down and find out what happened to your fellow scientists.

There was kind of a remake released a few years ago which supposedly better graphics. The original was kind of unique though, since it implemented voxel landscapes instead of polygons.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Thanks for all suggestions, for now i started playing GOG version of The Dig, it seems like it could be interesting though i wonder if there will be moments where i could screw my playthrough by accident

Nah, LucasArts games never had dead-ends.

Darkozric

Arbiter
Edgy
It's not Point&Click, but I still like to recommend another game:

If you also like Action Adventures that includes combat beside puzzles, story and exploration, I can highly recommend Outcast.
Some scientists opened a wormhole to another place, which they can't close anymore by themselves. You are send in with a few other scientists to fix the problem from the other side.
You awake alone in another world with alien creatures around you with their own society and ecosystem. You have to find some probes that were send from earth and also have to track down and find out what happened to your fellow scientists.

There was kind of a remake released a few years ago which supposedly better graphics. The original was kind of unique though, since it implemented voxel landscapes instead of polygons.

Since you made the start I would also like to recommend Dark Earth, an ambitious 1997 post-apocalyptic action-adventure game by Kalisto Entertainment.

Part true adventure game, part action/thriller, with strong influences from Alone in the Dark.

Neuromancer

Augur
Thanks for all suggestions, for now i started playing GOG version of The Dig, it seems like it could be interesting though i wonder if there will be moments where i could screw my playthrough by accident

Nah, LucasArts games never had dead-ends.
Maniac Mansion had too many.
Zak McKracken as well.

Lucas Arts (or better Lucasfilm Games at that time) only started this deathless philosophy technically with Indy 3.
But even with this game, if you got unlucky and/or managed your resources badly and got into too much combat with other soldiers, it could become rather difficult to impossible to reach the end of the annoying escape sequence late in the game.

The Dig of course, doesn't have this problem. You can't screw anything up.
There is only one alternative scene at the end depending on one choice of yours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom