Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Popamole Shooting with RPG-elements a la Hellgate?

Yeesh

Magister
Hello, my name is Yeesh. In addition to my taste for various degradations frowned upon by upstanding society as a whole, I also harbor some gaming tastes which are pointedly odious to the glorious hivemind. This is why, if one looks closely, one can see the furtive glimmer of shame in my avatar's eyes. You may have to all but kiss your monitor to check, but trust me it's there.

With that in mind, I wept tears of utter despair the day I learned Hellgate: London went offline (for non-asians). Always cautious and lazy by nature, I'd been waiting for it to get straightened out before I dove right in. Tragically, that straightening out was never to happen.

Most people here know for a fact that games like Hellgate and Borderlands are inherently crap, shit-tastic ass-sucking vomitous rank sludge that no one but a deeply, deeply incorrect person could be fooled into think he was enjoying. Officially speaking, I spit on them, I piss on them, I would stab straight my heart with the dullest of cookware just to inconvenience their devs for a mere second, so great is their opprobrium in my righteous sight.

But does anyone know more games like those two?

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Nothing really. You can either have lootwhoring or FPS, but not both.

Oh yeah there's Too Human, but iirc it wasn't received particularly well and never came out for the master race platform, so I never tried it.

Multi-headed Cow

I was gonna suggest Borderlands but apparently you already played it, so.... Fallout New Vegas I guess. Borderlands is better if you want shooting and loot whoring though, a whole hell of a lot better.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Stalker to a lesser extent although there aren't any stats so it's basically just gear progression. I've been meaning to check out Hellgate London for awhile and apparently it's only $5 now from Amazon -- is the single player campaign/content decent?

Dele

Liturgist
I was actually looking for a similar game also, but the only one i know of is Borderlands which gets boring fast.

I enjoyed hellgate for quite a while before it was canceled.

I will try too human on xbawx.

Multi-headed Cow

No, NO, FOR GOD'S SAKE AVOID HELLGATE. It had faint flickers of a decent game occasionally, but it was such a hot mess I wouldn't recommend it to anyway. ESPECIALLY since you can't play it with bros or transfer loot among characters. Borderlands absolutely destroys Hellgate.

Yeesh

Magister
I had fun with Hellgate for a while last year, but not a very long while. The crashes were very annoying, and ultimately there wasn't going to be much to do. But so great was my jones I knew I needed to give it a shot.

I'll look into STALKER. I'm very butthurt that more devs haven't hit upon the winning combination of Diablo + shooting.

(And I'm also butthurt that no one's released a Borderlands GOTY edition on torrent. WTH?)

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If you get Stalker be sure to download this mod -- totally revamps the graphics for Shadow of Chernobyl and tons of other changes.

Oh, totally forgot about Firefall -- upcoming free-to-play multiplayer with microtransactions.

Eyeball

Arcane
Restricted Area. Essentially, it's cyberpunk Diablo with a surprisingly awesome equipment system, an interesting hacking mechanism and tons of grind. I love it, personally.

desocupado

Magister
I would like to play a decent Action RPG too. Not necessarily a FPS one, just one that needs skill.

It seems that ARPGs are all a click fest. I wanted to play one where not only levels matter, but skill too.

I have yet to find an ARPG with a combat system that makes me happy.

Yeesh

Magister
Metro said:
If you get Stalker be sure to download this mod -- totally revamps the graphics for Shadow of Chernobyl and tons of other changes.

Oh, totally forgot about Firefall -- upcoming free-to-play multiplayer with microtransactions.
Firefall now has me enthused. I thank you.

3108t said:
What percentage of your output is pure : x these days?

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
desocupado said:
I would like to play a decent Action RPG too. Not necessarily a FPS one, just one that needs skill.

It seems that ARPGs are all a click fest. I wanted to play one where not only levels matter, but skill too.

It may be an obvious answer but still: did you try the gothic series (especially gothic 2 + NotR) and Risen?

Thrombone

Educated
Eyeball said:
Restricted Area. Essentially, it's cyberpunk Diablo with a surprisingly awesome equipment system, an interesting hacking mechanism and tons of grind. I love it, personally.

Tell me more.

desocupado

Magister
Ogg said:
desocupado said:

It may be an obvious answer but still: did you try the gothic series (especially gothic 2 + NotR) and Risen?

I liked Risen quite a bit, but it gave me headaches when I played, so... :(

Gothic 2, I remember trying it once, and found the combat too cluncky, but I didn't really give it a chance. Maybe it's time I give it a second try.

Yeesh

Magister
Thrombone said:
Eyeball said:

Tell me more.
I was eagerly watching Restricted area as it came out, but it did get pretty bad reviews. But I like this Gamespot quote:
It's Diablo with shotguns and mutants. But it's not quite as great as that makes it sound.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom