Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime [PC] Monster Hunter 3rd Online - Get your coop Dark Souls fix here

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Do you know Monster Hunter? it's one of the best PvE games out there, predating Demon's Souls by several years. In MH you part in 5-50 minutes quests to hunt badass bosses (a.k.a. monsters) in a small set of static levels. You get to pick several weapons, traps, explosives and any consumables you need and you part to adventure.

Example:

Beginner's Guide, most stuff you'll need for the first hundred hours, explained in 23 minutes (skip the last one):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLO7ChEvlE6fd-IXgergMpFIpudooNepeP

Monster Hunter 3rd HD is the version released on PS3, an HD remake of 3rd for PSP. This version is playable through PPSSPP emulator on PC, allowing upscaled resolution and textures while maintaining 60fps. It looks beautifuru and doesn't require the best of machines.

Another nice addition is multiplayer through unofficial servers. The process is almost frictionless.

If any of you beautiful trolls would be so inclined as to engage in some jolly cooperation one of these days, I can provide everything required for it.

Ivan

Arcane
but is it a mindless hack n slash? I have a wii u and was thinking about getting MH Ultimate 3

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
but is it a mindless hack n slash? I have a wii u and was thinking about getting MH Ultimate 3
It's not Devil May Cry or Skyrim. It is mindful, your attacks have weight and you have to commit to them because they take a lot of frames to finish. There's no lock-on feature either. As you grow confident you get better movement and attacks, but the bottom skill level involves a lot of rolling, blocking, running and panicking.

The game is grindy and the grind is the game. When you start you get a small set of monsters to hunt and as you progress they get more difficult. Your weapons movesets are the same through the game. Your weapons and armors do improve over time, but more towards specialization and a bit more damage rather than just changing your play style. Same as DaS and DeS you can go with low level gear against high level enemies and kill then with a thousand cuts.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

It's one of the least mindless HnS games ever. I mean it's not even a HnS. It's just a straight up Action game. It's a game where you really need to learn attack patterns and tells, otherwise you'll get your shit slapped hard. Mastering the enemy and move and their weaknesses are the keys to becoming a Hunter.

Also, Portable 3rd is probably the easiest MonHun game ever. There's no G-Rank and that's major fucking :decline: and the monsters have nerfed stats (Tigrex becomes tired after raging once or twice lol). I'd still not mind playing it with Codexian bros, though. Feel free to hit me up if you wanna do 4U or 3U online as well. I don't care which iteration you pick, I just love Monster Hunter!

Martius

Liturgist
Maybe I would try it if not that I have already 3 Ultimate. I have one advice, try as many weapons as you can before doing any major upgrades. First I thought sword and shield would fit me since its fast weapon but I felt like its doing close to none damage. After switching to long sword I was doing much better. Grind can get boring but at least Ultimate have farm to negate that a bit. Getting specific parts of monster can be annoying (fuck drop rate of rathian plate).

Last edited:

Machocruz

Arcane
Yah, It pays to spend the early missions trying out each weapon type, or doing the training missions (don't know if P3rd has them). I wound up liking hammer more than the weapon I planned on maining.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Also, Portable 3rd is probably the easiest MonHun game ever. There's no G-Rank and that's major fucking :decline: and the monsters have nerfed stats (Tigrex becomes tired after raging once or twice lol). I'd still not mind playing it with Codexian bros, though. Feel free to hit me up if you wanna do 4U or 3U online as well. I don't care which iteration you pick, I just love Monster Hunter!
I didn't know that but it makes so much sense. I've been able to plow through the ranks at a pace that felt unreal compared to when I played Tri or FU. I thought I may be because of the hours invested and having finished the Dark Souls, but apparently it's just the nerf -.-

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I downloaded the emulator and iso and it works well. If you are new to MH then this is a good place to start. As I said, monsters are very easy. Especially with the mechanic where you can upgrade weapon damage with armor spheres and nerfed monster stats you can truly destroy monsters within minutes (I just killed a Great Jaggi with a Rugged Great Sword in 1~2 minutes lol). The new Japanese themed field map they added is very nice as well. I also liked the Farm mechanics, although it is a bit tedious at first since you can't choose which specific Mushrooms and Insects you want to farm. You can also mine and fish in the farm and you need resource points only to upgrade it but not to gather shit so it evens out, I guess. I hated killing Monsters in the Deserted Island for resources. You only got the carves (or nothing if you capped them) and that was kinda gay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom