Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PC Gamer reviews Deus EX: HR

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Destroid said:
9sL2L.png

Well, you made me go to ign to verify that there was no review there as expected. Successfull troll is somewhat successful I guess.

Shame, really. It would've been funny if eidos had forgotten to bribe IGN and they were butthurt about this.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Gord said:
Ah, well, I'd wait with judging the game until it's really out and some reliable (i.e. from people who played the full game that are not gaming journalists) info is out.

Anyway, as I like to mention at every opportunity, it has in-game ads which I consider serious :decline: , so I'm anyway not going to buy it until it's on sale.

Can't wait for all the anachronisms they bring.

Verizon Wireless 4G!
Obama tells single mothers to go back to school!
2012 Ford Fiesta!
Netflix DVD Rentals!
Panasonic 1080p HD LCD!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Morgoth said:
Is it true DX:HR uses present day advertisement? Does that mean you need to be constantly connected to the internet?
The game uses Steam, so you have to connect intermittently at the very least.

Roderick

Savant
but supposedly they are going to filter the ingame ads so that they are fitting according to a review

J1M

Arcane
Ulminati said:
Destroid said:

Well, you made me go to ign to verify that there was no review there as expected. Successfull troll is somewhat successful I guess.

Shame, really. It would've been funny if eidos had forgotten to bribe IGN and they were butthurt about this.
Aside from the derpy numbers the comments sound like what you'd want to see. And the press build took me over 10 hours to fully explore, so I would expect the full game to be over 30 easily.

ArcturusXIV

Cipher
I didn't expect DXHR to reinvent the steel.

And for fuck's sake, form your own opinions...

This herd mentality has got to stop.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Who's not forming their own opinions? Pretty much everyone on the KKKodex who've admitted to preordering DXHR have said they did so after playing the leak for themselves. If playing part of the game isn't forming your own opinion I guess everyone's a sheep.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Ulminati said:
Who's not forming their own opinions? Pretty much everyone on the KKKodex who've admitted to preordering DXHR have said they did so after playing the leak for themselves. If playing part of the game isn't forming your own opinion I guess everyone's a sheep.
i am a herd sheep. preordered because you fuckers all liked it so much and i had no good internet to download the leak back then and just hoped that such a tremendous fuckup as the codex liking da:o was a one time thing..
playing the leak after i got back made me swtich the preorder to ce.

A user named cat

I came into this topic thinking the game was finally released and wanting something new to play from my local Pirate Bay. Then I do a search and just find the leaked beta from months ago. Needless to say, fuck. I should keep up with release dates.

Captain Shrek

MetalCraze said:
Influenced by Thief

Thief had you shoot the fuck out of enemies while sitting behind cover in linear levels while enemies didn't know the difference between shadows and louder or silenced sounds?

Or do they mean their own upcoming Thiaf?

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Six ways to resolve a hostage situation

"Kill him" "Kill him" "Kill him" LOL![/quote]

Or tap him in a cutscene and leave him for unconscious.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Phantasmal said:
I came into this topic thinking the game was finally released and wanting something new to play from my local Pirate Bay. Then I do a search and just find the leaked beta from months ago. Needless to say, fuck. I should keep up with release dates.

The game is out around the 26th or so, AFAIK. Check a few days after or before that date. I wouldn't trust release date torrents though. There may be problems with the crack. (or there may be no crack at all!)

Drakron

Arcane
Its Steam so crack will either be the same day or much later, depends on the Steam protection really.

MapMan

Arcane
Drakron said:
Its Steam so crack will either be the same day or much later, depends on the Steam protection really.

Well no shit I thought it depends on whats the weather like.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not sure if this has already been posted, but there are some interesting tidbits in Eidos Montreal's Frank Lapikas' fan Q&A:

Q: Did you incorporate any ideas at least in part inspired by Invisible War? Or was it entirely ignored?

...the truth about Invisible War is that I personally did not get as much enjoyment out of it as I did the original Deus Ex.

Looking at Invisible War was a cautionary tale. The game showed us how some apparently simple design decisions such as universal ammo could alter the essence of what Deus Ex is. When you look at IW, all the staples are there: the future, augs, weapons, a conspiracy, dialogs, stealth, side quests, etc. Yet it doesn’t feel quite right. It made us realize that it would be very easy for us to screw up Human Revolution. We had a fine line to thread after all.

So in essence we used IW and compared it to DX1 in order to operate a “course correction”; which means we reverted most decisions in IW in favor of what DX1 had done. From my knowledge (and sometimes defective memory), there is nothing in Human Revolution that comes from invisible War alone.

Q: What idea for HR looked amazing on paper, but simply did not work in the game? and what was it that didn't work?

But there are so many!

Some dialogs were supposed to feature objects hidden in the background that you could find and analyze in order to unlock blackmail attacks that you could use to convince people to give you stuff. Unfortunately, you had to do this while the character was talking to you, so you had to concentrate on 2 things at once, which meant nobody was listening to what characters had to say.

The hacking was also supposed to be much more complicated than it is right now. Before accessing a device, you had to scan it for active ports. Some ports were slower but less protected, so you had to choose the best one for what you were attempting (whether you wanted to control or download something). Then you had to assign CPU cycles to various attack and defense programs while the system was trying to trace you. Anyway, we had it working in Excel and did three revisions before it was canned for the current node-centric system. People just didn’t get it.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Crooked Bee said:
Not sure if this has already been posted, but there are some interesting tidbits in Eidos Montreal's Frank Lapikas' fan Q&A:

Q: Did you incorporate any ideas at least in part inspired by Invisible War? Or was it entirely ignored?

...the truth about Invisible War is that I personally did not get as much enjoyment out of it as I did the original Deus Ex.

Looking at Invisible War was a cautionary tale. The game showed us how some apparently simple design decisions such as universal ammo could alter the essence of what Deus Ex is. When you look at IW, all the staples are there: the future, augs, weapons, a conspiracy, dialogs, stealth, side quests, etc. Yet it doesn’t feel quite right. It made us realize that it would be very easy for us to screw up Human Revolution. We had a fine line to thread after all.

So in essence we used IW and compared it to DX1 in order to operate a “course correction”; which means we reverted most decisions in IW in favor of what DX1 had done. From my knowledge (and sometimes defective memory), there is nothing in Human Revolution that comes from invisible War alone.

Q: What idea for HR looked amazing on paper, but simply did not work in the game? and what was it that didn't work?

But there are so many!

Some dialogs were supposed to feature objects hidden in the background that you could find and analyze in order to unlock blackmail attacks that you could use to convince people to give you stuff. Unfortunately, you had to do this while the character was talking to you, so you had to concentrate on 2 things at once, which meant nobody was listening to what characters had to say.

The hacking was also supposed to be much more complicated than it is right now. Before accessing a device, you had to scan it for active ports. Some ports were slower but less protected, so you had to choose the best one for what you were attempting (whether you wanted to control or download something). Then you had to assign CPU cycles to various attack and defense programs while the system was trying to trace you. Anyway, we had it working in Excel and did three revisions before it was canned for the current node-centric system. People just didn’t get it.

Fuck that hacking system sounds really cool too, goddamn idiot playtesters/focus groups.

Destroid

Arcane
Meh, I prefer the DX1 system to the hacking minigames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom