Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

PbtA Games - thoughts?

Dustin DePenning

Literate
Wasn't intending to talk Synthicide. I'd rather not. I'm trying to feel this place out and talk about other RPGs.

But Yeah the failed KS was rough. And the rules are very basic and simplistic. That's just more my style these days.

L'ennui

Magister
In conclusion, another great thing about DW is that the people playing it are generally not people like mutonizer and The Game Analists. You positively couldn't ask for more!

Also as a denizen of this forum, I would suggest you go ahead and completely disregard their demands of what a new poster is or is not allowed to post. This is a public forum, not a masonic lodge initiation.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Wasn't intending to talk Synthicide. I'd rather not.
Fair enough.

This is a public forum, not a masonic lodge initiation.
Never asked for anything regarding this forum, only regarding RPGs in general about ideological propaganda but apparently he moved past that project already.

In conclusion, another great thing about DW is that the people playing it are generally not people like mutonizer and The Game Analists. You positively couldn't ask for more!
I don't see that as a positive at all. Communities further and further apart, completely unable to even talk to each other because of ideological bullshit and proud to be wearing blindfold, is not a good thing. Communautarism is bullshit and dangerous.

L'ennui

Magister
Which is a sign of utmost excellence, and makes me happy for you and for the hobby.

But none of that is apparent from your posts here.

To be truthful, I am trolling this thread hard and have no qualms with D&D or you guys. I just knew you would fly into a fit of righteous anger. Please accept my sincere apologies, but also please consider the tone of your posts when welcoming a newcomer to this forum.

Silva

Arcane
PbtA games are awesome. Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts and Sagas of the Icelanders are among my favorite games ever. Dungeon World is shitty though.

And why all this animosity, bros ? D&D is cool too. No need to get pissed. We can have chocolate and strawberry ice creams and both are good.

Silva

Arcane
Because PtbA games are all about crazy moves doing crazy unpredictable shit, while Dungeon World is all about.. conventional shit that every game already does since ever ?

Silva

Arcane
Very fair assertion
Don't know if you're being ironic. So here goes the serious, long version:

I think part of the appeal of PbtA games is the way the Moves address it's themes in generally explosive ways that shake the "gamestate" into unexpected directions and outcomes. Add to that the underlying intra-party tension and conflicting interests that's promoted by default and you get a game session that can get wildly crazy and unpredictable. And that's fucking cool because when you sit to play you never know what's gonna happen, and neither the GM, because the moves are built in a way to function as "anti-railroading" mechanisms, so chances are he will get as surprised at the end as the players.

Now see Dungeon World. It's themes are... conventional. It's moves are .. conventional. It's intra-party dynamics are.. conventional. They got a framework for wildly unpredictable crazy gaming and turn it into a conventional "goody-goody superfriends enter dungeon and bash goblins in the head" premise. Wtf ? Just play your favorite flavor of D&D or Warhammer or Runequest instead and you're good.

IMHO and all that.

Last edited:

Dustin DePenning

Literate
Very fair assertion
Don't know if you're being ironic. So here goes the serious, long version:

Now see Dungeon World. It's themes are... conventional. It's moves are .. conventional.

I wasn't being ironic. I really like DW because it's a new way to play old stuff, but I 100% can see how that's a turn off and seems lame. I was agreeing with your analysis of its conventionality even if I still like the game.

Sorry my tone didn't come across. Didn't mean to be confusing!

orcinator

Liturgist
I'm kinda interested in it but any attempt to find a game resulted in, to quote one of the US Presidents, the "most faggy god dammed thing you could ever imagine".

I resigned myself to just find a podcast about it but I'm having a hard time finding someone that plays this system and is also attracted to adults of the opposite gender.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I'm kinda interested in it but any attempt to find a game resulted in, to quote one of the US Presidents, the "most faggy god dammed thing you could ever imagine".

I resigned myself to just find a podcast about it but I'm having a hard time finding someone that plays this system and is also attracted to adults of the opposite gender.
If you want macho PbtA, you can't go wrong with the original Apocalypse World.

What other game has a class called "Gunlugger" with an ability called NOT TO BE FUCKED WITH and whose name suggestions are all Rutger Hauer movie protagonists?

88.png

Last edited:

orcinator

Liturgist
If you want macho PbtA, you can't go wrong with the original Apocalypse World.

I mean I could just make Moonman PBTA if I wanted something extra based and redpilled by taking some of the existing concepts and rewriting things so there's racial slurs all over the place (which seems to be how the other books are written)
My issue was with the people playing this.

Silva

Arcane
I mean I could just make Moonman PBTA if I wanted something extra based and redpilled by taking some of the existing concepts and rewriting things so there's racial slurs all over the place (which seems to be how the other books are written)
My issue was with the people playing this.
What do you mean, you only find faggots playing it in your area? :lol:

Well, PbtA IS kinda woke-friendly, with all those genre descriptions and gay-only hacks. I find it refreshing, personally, and more interesting than ye olde "yo soy muy macho" dungeon crawlers (at least on average, I loike the mindfuck OSR games we're seeing lately). But if you can't find people to play comfortably, gay or otherwise, well that's a bummer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom