Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Act 3 isn't too bad, but the pacing feels really off. It takes a while for the Companion quests to fire and if you rush the demon forts you risk losing morale for performing too well.
Which is pretty silly.
I should have figured that I had to play it like Kingmaker and do all of the important story quests first so I have time to crusade, but I was worried about the point of no return.

volklore

Arcane
Act 3 isn't too bad, but the pacing feels really off. It takes a while for the Companion quests to fire and if you rush the demon forts you risk losing morale for performing too well.
Which is pretty silly.
I should have figured that I had to play it like Kingmaker and do all of the important story quests first so I have time to crusade, but I was worried about the point of no return
You're not risking anything. You get more than enough time added to the banner of victory (it's cumulative) to clear the whole map + companion quest even when resting a lot.
You don't have to play like kingmaker at all. I generally spend a few weeks in early act 3 just doing crusade stuff and forging the relics I want, waiting for my mythic quest to pop.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Yeah, but you have to wait a month after telling the Inheritor about the barrier. So if you did all of the forts you might end up taking a hit to your banner because of the wait.
The army banners don't really matter because the enemy routinely sends invading armies against you, so that's fine.

The hardest part of this game is Act 2.

Hmm, not sure I agree.

If we're looking purely at required fights then I think the Hosila in the tutorial is the hardest Unfair fight. She IS going to win initiative, she IS going to chunk something almost immediately, your characters ARE going to have to save vs. fear from her weapon and most likely run away if you don't spend turns trying to to suppress it, and spending turns trying to keep your party fighting rather than beating the boss immediately is always the worst unfair strategy.

Act 1 is pretty easy if you aren't hellbent on fighting every optional fight. Even if you are then its mostly a matter of coming back at level 6, only succgirl is what I'd consider significantly difficult.

Act 2 swarms are probably the 2nd hardest part of the game. Though I think you can rest there even though narratively doing so is suicidal, and with a full rest you should be able to beat a swarm. So its never going to hard block you.

Act 3 and later you can just always do lots of other content to level up. Fights that are difficult at level 10 tend to be less so when you come back at level 15 with lots of crusade artifacts.

Which is pretty silly.
I should have figured that I had to play it like Kingmaker and do all of the important story quests first so I have time to crusade, but I was worried about the point of no return.

Each fort taken adds to the time the banner is green, meaning if you do all the forts you should have something like a year of time. Given you can comfortably finish the game while waiting for all crusade projects in ~4 months or so you shouldn't need to worry about banners.

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Oh it adds, not refreshes? Well that certainly changes matter.
Is it normal for Sosiel to keep flirting with me? I eventually told him to knock it off when he wanted to paint my portrait and I got a war to fight. I know you can accidentally start Daeran's Romance in Act 1, but I don't know what I did to get Sosiel interested in me.
What's funny is that my character is an outright hellknight and he bloody hates hellknights. Maybe its like that "oh you hate spiders? You must want to fuck them" thing.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
succgirl is what I'd consider significantly difficult.
Considering that for this particular succubus, Protection from Evil grants full immunity from her charm, I would not say so.
What's funny is that my character is an outright hellknight and he bloody hates hellknights. Maybe its like that "oh you hate spiders? You must want to fuck them" thing.
Sosiel has quite a peculiar romance with the Demon Knight Commander. I haven't tried it, though, as I am too old to role-play a gay man.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
So about the Demon Mythic quest "Insistent Summons."
Will_check.jpg
Here is the will save to beat. It works like a saving throw despite being the book event.

Will_check_succeeded.jpg
Here is the success and EXP reward. Note that it is called "a Will check", not "save".

save_and_EXP.jpg
Here is the log of this event.
Notice that, first, it is called "check", but because of Nat 20, the check sum of 34 is considered successful despite the fact that 34 is less than 70. Second, it's Seelah who beats it; a pure Paladin has higher saves than anyone in the party. Third, the EXP reward is granted, which does not happen for saving throws.
In conclusion, I save-scummed Will check against DC 70 and got 12288 EXP. To have 20 with a probability of 90% requires 38 rolls of a fair d20 die. It took me more than 10 reloads but less than 30.

Last edited:
A3 you want to clear the entire map immediately, no reason not to when the bonuses are +daily income.

There's no reason not to but at the same time not too much to gain. The Queen is gonna fuck up the crusade either way, all that can help you is A. Getting all good crusade relics finished (which takes so long you'll be rich anyway), and B. having Drezen filled out with 6-8 halls of strategy.

Parabalus

Arcane
So about the Demon Mythic quest "Insistent Summons."
View attachment 36676Here is the will save to beat. It works like a saving throw despite being the book event.

View attachment 36677Here is the success and EXP reward. Note that it is called "a Will check", not "save".

View attachment 36678Here is the log of this event.
Notice that, first, it is called "check", but because of Nat 20, the check sum of 34 is considered successful despite the fact that 34 is less than 70. Second, it's Seelah who beats it; a pure Paladin has higher saves than anyone in the party. Third, the EXP reward is granted, which does not happen for saving throws.
In conclusion, I save-scummed Will check against DC 70 and got 12288 EXP. To have 20 with a probability of 90% requires 38 rolls of a fair d20 die. It took me more than 10 reloads but less than 30.
That's the one with 90 Intimidate?

The easier 54 Intimidate check got me around 40k XP, with only active users gets XP.

After you ported though you can clear the dungeon, with only active party members get XP you can get more than a levels worth of XP there.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey, are there any big DLCs still on the horizon for this one? I'm waiting to play this until its complete with all the side content.

Hard to say, there's a description of what the upcoming DLCs are. One is a continuation of the Through the Ashes side story, another is some kind of diversionary festival. First will probably be completely irrelevant to the main campaign, second there's no telling.

What weapon type would you use for a charge-based character? Using Arcane Rider obviously with mythic charge and stacking every charge bonus item I can find. Spell Combat only works with one handed/finesse weapons, which would leave me stuck with short spears (for their x2 damage on charge), unless there's another one-handed/finesse weapon with big enough bonuses to outweigh that (doubt it).

But, Quicken rods are a thing and you eventually get Dimensional Ride as a quickened action at level 14. That basically leaves a gap of all of Act 3 where I'd need to quicken with rods. So, Longspears might be better since twohanding is king and they tend to have better bonuses anyway. Or, would a higher crit rate on other two handers still be better?

Alternatively, would spell combat still be useful enough that I should stick with shortspear? It is basically an automatic free action usage of any spell as long as the other action you want to do is an attack, and if I'm understanding the mechanics right you can even quicken a spell, do the spell combat spell, then still pull off a full round attack (which due to being on a pet has a range of like 100'). Might be interesting to build as an off-nuker or something. Even though Magus is conventionally focused on touch spells there's nothing that says you can't throw out two fireballs a turn.

Obviously will be using a skald to deliver pounce. Not sure which charge bonuses apply to only the first attack or which apply to all attacks in the charge round, but I think most of them apply to everything.

Last edited:

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Hey, are there any big DLCs still on the horizon for this one? I'm waiting to play this until its complete with all the side content.
Then wait until Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is release.
So, you imply that they'll cease development of WotR when RT hits? Good to know, I had an impression that WotR is quite successful and they may consider making new content for it for some time.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Then wait until Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader is release.
So, you imply that they'll cease development of WotR when RT hits? Good to know, I had an impression that WotR is quite successful and they may consider making new content for it for some time.
"A full release is expected sometime later this year." Why not? Close the second Season Pass for WotR and concentrate on Rogue Trader.

NEED dimension door for positioning, otherwise obstacles get in the way and you have to spend a turn backing off to charge again. Nothing else compares, I'm not going to pick a melee character that becomes randomly useless for 1/3rd of the fights in the game and struggles to use their charge for more than one enemy on the other 2/3rds. Gendarme would get a x3 charge bonus at level 20 but that's 19 levels of suffering. Unless there's some other way to get a lot of swift action dimension doors on an excellent melee class, if so then tell me.

Parabalus

Arcane
Some thoughts from playing Demon mythic with a mounted charger:

• Charge is very finnicky and annoying. Sometimes it is advantageous to charge in RtwP and sometimes in TB, but often in the former the bonuses bug out and don't trigger at all or partially
  • Clean charge (guaranteed from out of combat with TB enabled) does obscene damage, you reach 200 single hits in A1, easily oneshotting blightmaw etc. Afterwards you can add pounce (for yourself and your pet) and...yeah.
  • Mythic charge adds damage to everything for the entire round, so all extra procs (like Living Ram), natural weapons etc.
  • Demonic charge brings your pet with it, and then it gets to full attack. Use the mod which unnerfs makes Demonic Charge point target, it's very fun for moving around (little combat benefit)
  • Your pet can demonic charge (it gets the ability!) or normal charge for you, with the latter being very useful if fatigued due to rage. This is hard to use in RTwP, easy in TB
  • Charge easily gets blocked, and it doesn't position you optimally for cleaving adjacent enemies. Especially once you start enlarging everything
I tried a few options like pure Genderme, hunter dip, Mad Dog, Blood Rider, Sohei etc. they all similarly well, since you can buff the pet to decent AC and nobody touches you.
Some of them exploit Aspect of Kalkavus better than others.

Demon mythic in A3 can give you obscene XP if you can make the skill checks, or clear the dungeon you get ported too.

If you play TB the entire time charges are great, else they're too annoying and it's faster to just let the pet move you and full attack constantly.

scytheavatar

Scholar
Hmm, not sure I agree.

If we're looking purely at required fights then I think the Hosila in the tutorial is the hardest Unfair fight. She IS going to win initiative, she IS going to chunk something almost immediately, your characters ARE going to have to save vs. fear from her weapon and most likely run away if you don't spend turns trying to to suppress it, and spending turns trying to keep your party fighting rather than beating the boss immediately is always the worst unfair strategy.

Act 1 is pretty easy if you aren't hellbent on fighting every optional fight. Even if you are then its mostly a matter of coming back at level 6, only succgirl is what I'd consider significantly difficult.

Act 1 is easy if you get a leopard. And Protective Luck. It's as simple as that. There are ways like getting a Vital Strike character which will make Act 1 even easier but you don't even need that.

Since you need to choose between Wenduag or Lann you can just make the one you are not using a Hunter and have him/her carry you through the Maze with the leopard.

Last edited:

None

Scholar
Uh, applying Fortune to every melee every turn isn't practical. I did find the shot that confirms that you're correct in how it works and I was mistaken.

Can abuse Chant/Cackle to stack the hex timer faster than it expires. Theoretically infinite, all you have to do is keep spamming it for 1 month IRL time to have 1 month of in game time for your hexes.
I did this for a few fights. Helped a lot fighting Mephistopheles. By the time it is applied to everyone they've got a few rounds before it expires, add protective luck and cackle for like a minute and you'll easily be set for an entire fight.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Hmm, not sure I agree.

Act 1 is easy if you get a leopard. And Protective Luck. It's as simple as that. There are ways like getting a Vital Strike character which will make Act 1 even easier but you don't even need that.

Since you need to choose between Wenduag or Lann you can just make the one you are not using a Hunter and have him/her carry you through the Maze with the leopard.
Leopard does help but Protective Luck eats the entire action econ of one character. You’ve still got to be able to kill the thing attacking it or you’re in for a real slog.

Do not get the Vital Strike obsession. Splashing Rowdy or whatever sets your main class development back the whole game. And for what? A little marginal damage on Standard Action attacks for a few levels? Doesn’t really combo very well with Haste.

Lann starts with two attacks. Focus on making those count.

Rhobar121

Scholar
How hard Act 1 is depends on what class you play.
Playing caster vs martial is a huge difference especially if you're trying to do everything possible in time limit.
Recently, playing as a paladin, I had to check several times if I was really playing on unfair.

I wonder how effective a 10 wizard / 10 eldrich knight will be as a ray caster.
I've been wanting to try a similar build for a long time. It should have some pretty good synergies with the demon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom