Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Legendary Proportions could reliably make the Raptor Large. However, I'm not certain if there are enough dino bones to even keep one unit buffed the whole game.

The alternative is never buff Reg with a size increasing spell but bleh, -4 STR early game and then -10 STR once FA is unlocked, that's a hefty price to pay
Or just go Dex, like his initial build. Dex is good for riders. Helps with Initiative, Mobility, Stealth. Even moreso now, when Lunge feat is supposedly available also in vanilla, eliminating the Achilles' heel of Dex characters - attack reach.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sure, sure. Ok, that's a good pet for damage.
Yes, also for Leading Strikes triggering.
Hmm, what is the interaction for TB though?
When both rider and mount attack, raptor attacks 1st and then you mix attacks from rider and mount. This mostly works when stationary, or better yet - when Pounce charging (also enables the armor bonus).
Hmm, ok. That's.. pretty dope. What about the dino bones, though. You can buy some now, apparently? But is it enough.
I think you can easily buy at least 30+.
Which should be mostly enough... if you're mostly buffing one character. Whole party... That's another story.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Sure, sure. Ok, that's a good pet for damage.
Yes, also for Leading Strikes triggering.
Hmm, what is the interaction for TB though?
When both rider and mount attack, raptor attacks 1st and then you mix attacks from rider and mount. This mostly works when stationary, or better yet - when Pounce charging (also enables the armor bonus).
Hmm, ok. That's.. pretty dope. What about the dino bones, though. You can buy some now, apparently? But is it enough.
I think you can easily buy at least 30+.
Which should be mostly enough... if you're mostly buffing one character. Whole party... That's another story.
Grotto vendor did have unlimited supply I think. Can also use scrolls which don't require reagents. Or just use TTT to fix Animal Growth.

Yosharian

Arcane
30+? Nah that ain't enough.

So I'm testing animal focus right now, it doesn't scale with character level. It scales with Hunter level.

However, I noticed that the pet's Animal Focus buff didn't scale to +4 when his master hit level 8 in Hunter.

So, on a hunch, I tested levelling up the pet to level 15. Just from pet levels gotten from a variety of sources, not purely from Hunter.

Sure enough, the pet gets Animal Focus buffs based on its own level, and not the Hunter class level of its master.

This means you can dip Hunter 1, obtain Animal Focus STR, and slap on 14 levels of anything that boosts your pet, and your pet will get Inherent +6 to the chosen stat, regardless of how many Hunter levels the master has.

This opens up some opportunities because Hunter 1 was always a valuable dip due to obtaining a non-horse pet, but it was always a bit too costly for me personally due to giving nothing else. But if it also gives a free permanent +6 to STR/DEX to the pet, then that makes it quite a bit more valuable.

Celestial at Divine Hunter 3 is still a bit too pricey for me though

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Melazmera fight was quite fun, required a different approach. It could only be dispelled on a 20 roll and has heroism, greater so I couldn't kill it with weird. The fact that it deals -12 str breath attack meant it was dangerous to my whole party with sub 20 str even buffed. So I did MMO tactic of facing it away with the pet with lots of strength, then used overwhelming grief to strip it off its AC and ability to breath after first two ones. I like it.
Ice Body can prevent ability drain. There are Goggles in Drezen that can give you a 20 Dispel roll but they've been clunky for me. Grief is an underrated spell. Nice on Shadow Enchantment to up the DC for Illusionists but not sure that's in vanilla.
It's best to activate goggles before combat. Once activated, you'll keep the buff until you cast dispel.

I got one dispel, but it was consistently dispelling the resist energy and haste, not greater heroism.

Desiderius

Patron
It really is. If you want a non-Horse mount play a class that comes with it instead of the whole game underleveled. Duplicate multiclassing is no bueno.

Massive self-own.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
It really is. If you want a non-Horse mount play a class that comes with it instead of the whole game underleveled. Duplicate multiclassing is no bueno.

Massive self-own.
Eh, unless you wanted a non-horse pet and then 19 levels of a horse pet class/combination of classes. Then you'll get an (arguably) better pet + not miss any levels.

Desiderius

Patron

Massive self-own.
Eh, unless you wanted a non-horse pet and then 19 levels of a horse pet class/combination of classes. Then you'll get an (arguably) better pet + not miss any levels.
Lol, no.

This is what you guys are missing. You literally play the whole game without your best ability if you do that. Some levels that's "just" an iterative (Hunter is a 3/4 class), which is half your attacks at lvl 6. 1/5 of the time that's an Order ability (for Cav), 1/10th of the time a Domain ability, 1/2 the time all your highest level spells (if you're a fast progression class), 1/5 of the time a Bloodline Power. It all adds up in addition to the scaling you lose.

d20 even goes out of its way to discourage duplicate multi-classing. It's that bad. And somehow you guys come up with "not missing any levels". As if!

mediocrepoet

Patron
More seriously (though I don't really care), I'd say the logical reply to your capstone concerns Desiderius is that 1) some classes don't have one and/or some of them suck, and 2) oh no, I'll have to suffer through playing the entire game with the options I want only to miss out on a level 20 ability I'll see 5 minutes before the credits roll! What will I dooooo!?

Desiderius

Patron
More seriously (though I don't really care), I'd say the logical reply to your capstone concerns Desiderius is that 1) some classes don't have one and/or some of them suck, and 2) oh no, I'll have to suffer through playing the entire game with the options I want only to miss out on a level 20 ability I'll see 5 minutes before the credits roll! What will I dooooo!?
You're missing the point. It's not the capstone. That's the fallacy.

You're under-leveled *every level of the game*. Do the side by side comparison at each level and you'll see it. It's why people aren't doing the Monk and Vivi splashes anymore. The ruleset is literally designed around single-classing *especially* for redundant classes.

Sometimes it can be worth it. Haplo splashes Gendarme to get to Shatter and Vulpine Pounce on time on a feat-starved 3/4 class. That's a qualitative difference. I threw in a TSS level at lvl 6 on Seelah to pick up the equivalent of two extra Feats looking ahead to unlocking Armor Training on Tower Shield at Pal13/TSS3 because that marginal AC I pick up there lets her tank some of the hardest targets and Pal could use the bonus feats. Throwing a zero BAB/zero Feat lvl onto a Mounted class at lvl 1 is a *major* price that you don't need to pay if you just play the class that gets the Mount you want in the first place. They're good. So are the Horse classes. What isn't nearly as good is nerfing yourself for every level of the game.

Last edited:

IllusiveBrian

Novice
Dog companion with Sohei seems like it could be good since you both get free trips. Plus make your character a girl and fulfill every white girl's dream to ride her dog naked.

mediocrepoet

Patron
You're missing the point. It's not the capstone. That's the fallacy.

You're under-leveled *every level of the game*. Do the side by side comparison at each level and you'll see it. It's why people aren't doing the Monk and Vivi splashes anymore. The ruleset is literally designed around single-classing *especially* for redundant classes.
Yes, when everyone else is level 6, I'll be... level 6. Hm.
Caster level? N/A.
BAB: Same progression as long as you don't do something dumb like take a bunch of level 1 less than full BAB dips or something.
Saves: Similar or better progression.
AC levels: Same progression due to taking other AC classes...

:philosoraptor:

You've convinced me. Very compelling argument, my basement dwelling friend!

Desiderius

Patron
Fuck off. The very example you're citing here misses your iterative at six if you start with the retard zero BAB Hunter splash.

Twice as many attacks without the splash.

mediocrepoet

Patron
Fuck off. The very example you're citing here misses your iterative at six if you start with the retard zero BAB Hunter splash.

Holy smoax. Unless... you're comparing to a single classed non-high BAB class. In which case... something else bad happens, amirite? d20 never rolls higher than a 2 for the rest of the game? (Actually with how Owlcats have made their RNG, this wouldn't terribly surprise me.)

Desiderius

Patron
Spamming ratings is admitting you're afraid to even think. Welcome to ranks of the ankle-biters.

Notice who doesn't lose their shit - the best player here (far better than me).

Desiderius

Patron

Holy smoax. Unless... you're comparing to a single classed non-high BAB class. In which case... something else bad happens, amirite? d20 never rolls higher than a 2 for the rest of the game? (Actually with how Owlcats have made their RNG, this wouldn't terribly surprise me.)
But we're not. The discussion is about getting a non-Horse mount on a Horse class. What's the BAB progression on those, genius?

mediocrepoet

Patron

But we're not. The discussion is about getting a non-Horse mount on a Horse class. What's the BAB progression on those, genius?

How the hell should I know? I don't use any AC classes. :lol:
I wasn't kidding when I said I didn't care about any of this. I was just giving you the most Codexian of Christmas gifts... butthurt. And lulz to everyone else, so everyone on the page got a Merry Christmas! rating.

Thanks for the laughs. They were predictable, but enjoyable. Worth the... third, I think, trip to your iggybin or whatever. :lol:

mediocrepoet

Patron
Spamming ratings is admitting you're afraid to even think. Welcome to ranks of the ankle-biters.

Just because I'm curious, does wishing you a Merry Christmas enrage you in real life too? Is good cheer a sign of someone losing their shit? If so, you may be autistic and unable to recognize normal social cues. Please consult your nearest mental health care practitioner.

:love:

Desiderius

Patron

Just because I'm curious, does wishing you a Merry Christmas enrage you in real life too? Is good cheer a sign of someone losing their shit? If so, you may be autistic and unable to recognize normal social cues. Please consult your nearest mental health care practitioner.

Wishing me a Merry Xmas every comment in a thread is not wishing me a Merry Xmas. People that don't care don't spam threads. Not all autists are suckers. To the extent I even am an autist I spent way too many years wasting my superpowers in figuring out how to be normal. This is bad - don't do this. Maybe now I overreact the other way since I love my son and his autistic indefatigable good cheer.

I hope you have a Merry one as well, and my special gift to you is giving you something to ponder once you cool down from the shock of having one of your assumptions challenged.

mediocrepoet

Patron

Wishing me a Merry Xmas every comment in a thread is not wishing me a Merry Xmas. People that don't care don't spam threads. Not all autists are suckers. To the extent I even am an autist I spent way too many years wasting my superpowers in figuring out how to be normal. This is bad - don't do this. Maybe now I overreact the other way since I love my son and his autistic indefatigable good cheer.

I hope you have a Merry one as well, and my special gift to you is giving you something to ponder once you cool down from the shock of having one of your assumptions challenged.
I have no idea what you're talking about, but I did everyone on the page because I felt like it. You're not that special. Well, except you're the only one to fly off the handle when anyone disagrees with anything you say about one of these games, which is mildly hilarious or annoying, depending on the context. Often it's more funny than not.

Re: autism, eh it's used very casually around these parts as you've no doubt noticed. Don't read too deeply into it, you can leave that to your inclination to consider the Pathfinder ruleset to be the second Word of the God Almighty and Haplo to be His Messiah.

Anyway, the only thing better than dipping Hunter to get a raptor is doing that then dipping Sohei to get another AC level up + wis AC. Maybe if you'd bother reading someone who knows what's up like InEffect, you'd be able to find a clue.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

God bless you, Desiderius. This subforum would not be the same without you.

Lol, no.

This is what you guys are missing. You literally play the whole game without your best ability if you do that. Some levels that's "just" an iterative (Hunter is a 3/4 class), which is half your attacks at lvl 6. 1/5 of the time that's an Order ability (for Cav), 1/10th of the time a Domain ability, 1/2 the time all your highest level spells (if you're a fast progression class), 1/5 of the time a Bloodline Power. It all adds up in addition to the scaling you lose.

d20 even goes out of its way to discourage duplicate multi-classing. It's that bad. And somehow you guys come up with "not missing any levels". As if!

You're acting like a better pet isn't one of the best abilities in the game.

Oh yeah, level 6. Lets see how many more attacks you get with a velociraptor vs a horse. That's a better comparison.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom