Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

Stoned Ape

Savant
This looks pretty amusing if true:

https://forum.owlcat.games/t/sacred-huntsmaster-animal-companion-stacks-with-nature-domain/53489

"I think I just stumbled upon something huge. That being that if you pick Sacred Huntsmaster with Impossible Domain: Animal, the Animal Companion Levels stack with each other up to the character’s total level.

So you get (Sacred Huntsmaster level) + (Sacred Huntsmaster level - 3 from Nature Domain) + (Boon Companion = 4) for a total of ((Sacred Huntsmaster level) x 2) + 1. You need minimum Sacred Huntsmaster 10 to get a fully leveled Animal Companion this way."

Doesn't apply for my current run, but might be worth thinking about for the future if people want a fully-leveled pet for Regill

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
If you don't want to fight reduced or with a small PC, best mounts are probably Smilodon or Horse.

Horse is the only pet I know that enlarges correctly so you can ride it with an enlarged PC.

Smilo is probably the best all round pet after leopard. Only problem is that if you enlarge a Smilo, the model size doesn't change (although its attributes increase) so you can't ride while also enlarged.

Yosharian

Arcane
If you don't want to fight reduced or with a small PC, best mounts are probably Smilodon or Horse.

Horse is the only pet I know that enlarges correctly so you can ride it with an enlarged PC.

Smilo is probably the best all round pet after leopard. Only problem is that if you enlarge a Smilo, the model size doesn't change (although its attributes increase) so you can't ride while also enlarged.
What do you mean it enlarges correctly

Stoned Ape

Savant

What do you mean it enlarges correctly
It didn't increase in size last time I used one (with the 5th level spell that increases animal size*); they must have patched that in between then and now. It increases at level 7, you just couldn't increase it to a bigger size than that.

*Animal Growth, I think? You need it to ride a companion with an enlarged character

Stoned Ape

Savant
The horse doesn't have any unique behaviour with respect to size and enlarging AFAIK, it merely grows earlier
Animal growth spell works on the model to make it bigger, last time I tried it, that didn't work on Smilo (or Wolf).
Nvm it appears you are correct
I'm not certain, but I think it's a bug due to the other animal companions getting a level-based model size increase, while the horse only gets an attribute upgrade and the model stays the same. Something about the code for animal growth seems to clash with the fact the other animal companions' models have already been made bigger when the spell is cast. It's like the code for the level based size increase has a priority over the spell size increase, or the spell is trying to enlarge the original model size rather than the bigger one.

I think it's a similar problem that the Gold Dragon Mythic transformation had when I last played it (when they reached Rank 9, the player model increased to large, but the weapons didn't get a size upgrade to damage dice. You could then cast Frightful Aspect or Legendary Proportions or whatever, but the model didn't grow although the character dids get attribute upgrades from the spell).

Last edited:

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Dog/Wolf Trips triggering AoOs on rider are pretty good too.

Lann15CombatReflexes.jpg

This is from Alpha Core. If you look in the middle of the Combat Log you can see Lann's Dog Mount triggering an AoO for him.* Urban Hunter is nice because it lets the Mount get Trip (or other CM) Feats IIRC.

All the pets have something going for them (Centipede gets more Skill Pts and has Vermin Immunity + Poison that scales with level). It's a very well designed system.

* - Lann starts with Combat Reflexes. I've finally realized that the intention is probably just to give him the prereq for Seize the Moment, which works with ranged. Outflank isn't supposed to (I've heard it does?) since even with Snap Shot (which ZA gets) you don't get Flanking bonuses. To get AoOs to trigger for him it usually take Improved Snap Shot, which requires dead Feat Rapid Shot (doesn't stack with Flurry) so kind of a pain. I guess just Snap + Enlarge might work?

This looks pretty amusing if true:

https://forum.owlcat.games/t/sacred-huntsmaster-animal-companion-stacks-with-nature-domain/53489

"I think I just stumbled upon something huge. That being that if you pick Sacred Huntsmaster with Impossible Domain: Animal, the Animal Companion Levels stack with each other up to the character’s total level.

So you get (Sacred Huntsmaster level) + (Sacred Huntsmaster level - 3 from Nature Domain) + (Boon Companion = 4) for a total of ((Sacred Huntsmaster level) x 2) + 1. You need minimum Sacred Huntsmaster 10 to get a fully leveled Animal Companion this way."

Doesn't apply for my current run, but might be worth thinking about for the future if people want a fully-leveled pet for Regill
Curious. I found a version of that bug by doing a Sacred Huntsmaster + Cleric multiclass with animal domain in Kingmaker but it didn't work in WotR. Didn't think to try other means of getting animal domain.

Chaoneu

Novice
I dont like cavaliers, u need good tanky character around or other party members should be in perma invis, cos animal, in this scenario, is low priority target and enemys will likely focus some1 else

Desiderius

Patron
Owlcat: here’s at least six Donains with game-changing abilities you can’t get anywhere else. Main reason to play classes with Domains. In case you’re stuck on the Animal Domain meme we’ll give you a free pet you can ride to get you out of that rut.

Players: nah, we like it so much we’re going to burn our most scarce and powerful resource (Mythic abilities) getting it on a class *that already has a full pet*.

Gotta hand it to you guys, that’s impressive dedication to the one-weird-trick lifestyle. Nobody can nerf themselves like memechasers.

Desiderius

Patron
I dont like cavaliers, u need good tanky character around or other party members should be in perma invis, cos animal, in this scenario, is low priority target and enemys will likely focus some1 else
Good idea to keep all melee characters reasonably tanky, but Seelah’s Horse gets its share of attax, especially early when its kind of fragile. Class is designed to open with a Charge so you don’t need Invis to get their attention on Horse if ranged characters are in good formation.

BanEvader

Absolutely shit game, and yet, somehow, its thread has reached page 728. Are you people retarded?
You should play a good CRPG, like Baldur's Gate 3 for example.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Absolutely shit game, and yet, somehow, its thread has reached page 728. Are you people retarded?
You should play a good CRPG, like Baldur's Gate 3 for example.
Nice bait.
Though your alias kinda gives you away.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Fuck that my MC is a STR chad
You can still be one on a leopard.
That's what I respected my Str Charging Cleric Angel MC to.
You can cast Frightful Aspect / Legendary Proportions, then Reduce Person and they'll stack. You'll keep the stat, AC, aura effects. Your model will be small, your weapon dice too and you'll have 2 Str less then otherwise from Reduce penalty (but +2/+3 AB due to Size advantage).

Though that is likely an exploit / bug.

Owlcat: here’s at least six Donains with game-changing abilities you can’t get anywhere else. Main reason to play classes with Domains. In case you’re stuck on the Animal Domain meme we’ll give you a free pet you can ride to get you out of that rut.

Players: nah, we like it so much we’re going to burn our most scarce and powerful resource (Mythic abilities) getting it on a class *that already has a full pet*.

Gotta hand it to you guys, that’s impressive dedication to the one-weird-trick lifestyle. Nobody can nerf themselves like memechasers.

Do it to get a massively overpowered boost in early levels, respec at higher levels (or swap to a different NPC/merc). Not too hard to figure out how people would use it. Alternatively use it to multiclass into something that doesn't get pet levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom