Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

Stoned Ape

Savant
The only situations I can think of where it's worth dismounting are if you are running a non-combat focused caster, an archer/X-bow user, or you're soloing and want a second activation in the initiative queue.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I haven't been able to get along with mounted stuff in the game, it's just too clunky - both to look at and to use. The animal animations are execrable (diagonal movement is jerky and reminiscent of what you used to get with pixel characters, there's no refinement), and there are still visual glitches (e.g. squashed-down mounted character).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I haven't been able to get along with mounted stuff in the game, it's just too clunky - both to look at and to use. The animal animations are execrable (diagonal movement is jerky and reminiscent of what you used to get with pixel characters, there's no refinement), and there are still visual glitches (e.g. squashed-down mounted character).
A small price to pay to have mounts in a turn-based crpg. With awesome functionality and building synergies to boot!

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
A small price to pay to have mounts in a turn-based crpg. With awesome functionality and building synergies to boot!

I'm a bit like the princess and the pea when it comes to graphics. If everything is of a certain standard, and something sticks out and falls below that standard, it irritates me no end.

Scyrito

Novice
Appreciate the feedback, lads!

Reckon I'll go with a 2hander, focus on Dex this time. Guess Elven Curved Blade is the ticket. Azata perma-haste with boots from Storyteller, Chainmail of Comradery with Outflank and Mad Dog flanking. Pre-buffs up the ass, fire up the ol' Bane Weapon and it's off to the races. 18 Sanctified Slayer/2 Mad Dog.

RunningWolf

Learned
Shit tank?
Yeah Regill shit tank on Hard and Unfair when you get him. Which i already discussed at length. Even with half decent AC he still a shit tank. If you don't agree then you clearly playing on Normal/Core, which i have no problem with.
Sohei doesn't get Leopard
You can pick any other class that gets it.
Morale *AC* is very rare
Helmet of Comradery. Lizard Tail. Ring of Nahyndrian Courage(against ranged). Some other sources i cant remember now.
You don't have Domain Zealot Cleric for all your Cleric needs because there are already so many good Domains
Don't tell me how i play.
Damage isn't the problem on higher difficulties, it's making sure you can hit and not be hit as well as stopping/surviving high level casts. HK Reg is great at all that.
It is at lower leves. And everything you wrote - Gendarme Regill does better than HK and does it EARLIER. HK Regill is shit at all that before later acts when you can buff him so much that the shit class stops mattering much.
How about sucking less instead of talking out of your ass.

Damage, damage, damage - you retards are all the same.
Cant even argue without insulting your way out losing argument. Nobody told you how to play, you're the only one who bitching at people for "building wrong". All your builds end up being "do what owlcat wants you to", which is worthless waste of forum space. But due to being a low IQ faggot, you apparently cant figure it out.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron

Reckon I'll go with a 2hander, focus on Dex this time. Guess Elven Curved Blade is the ticket. Azata perma-haste with boots from Storyteller, Chainmail of Comradery with Outflank and Mad Dog flanking. Pre-buffs up the ass, fire up the ol' Bane Weapon and it's off to the races. 18 Sanctified Slayer/2 Mad Dog.
Azata? Okay, not much synergy there. It mainly has good stuff for casters. But I guess a strong Mythic Path is not needed to finish the game.

Scyrito

Novice

Azata? Okay, not much synergy there. It mainly has good stuff for casters. But I guess a strong Mythic Path is not needed to finish the game.

Basically just want to check out what you can get out of Aivu. Gonna just make a manual save just before the first Mythic choice in Drezen. Which I should have done in the first playthrough, so I could skip Act I & II, but fuck if I knew that. If it's total dogshit I'll just go with more conventional Aeon/Angel.

Scyrito

Novice
We'll see how it goes.

There's a strong possibility that after returning from the Abyss it's gonna be "Fuck these guys, I'll rather take 20 extra levels" again.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Well, Demon and Lich also have their perks. But Azata on martial? Bleh.
I'm doing an Azata Ranger and it sucks donkey dick for the most part. I sacked off Aivu for GD because she was only being used as an annoying, low quality meat shield with dragon breath.

Yes, I'm bad at the game, but it isn't that difficult even with a bad build (I'm sure on the harder settings I'd have been punished more). Only one fight I can think of caused me any problems so far:

The blood bath in the fleshmarket, which I ended up 'cheesing' by simply killing the vendors one by one.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Desiderius Haplo

I think I'm edging towards multiclassing Seelah into 2-handed fighter or regular fighter after 11 levels of paladin.

As I've gone for divine weapon bond instead of steed, I think the extra feats and weapon training (+gloves) will probably outweigh the loss of better spellcasting and 17th-level aura (paladin capstone isn't all that useful in my opinion, and 4 (+1 from ring, + half mythic rank) smites/rest will probably be enough, as will 2 divine weapon bonds/day at +3 (for flaming + holy)).

I think regular fighter would be tactically useful for the movement boost from armor training (on mithral full plate at FTR level 3) and probably more valuable than the extra damage from 2-handed chop, but I'm not entirely sure. Will be going for Vital Strike with her whichever of the two I choose, as it helps to make up for the lack of pounce.

Opinions?
I went Pal11/Disciple of the Pike 9 on my main playthrough for the weapon training and Order of the Lion stuff (+CHR bonus AB AoE once per fight) and mostly regretted it.

More and more I just dont think this is a multiclassing game. I also dont take her two-handed (especially unmounted) since she starts with Shield Focus and there are some absurd bashing Shields (or Towers if you don’t want to burn Feats on two-weapon - but bashing doubles up Smite bonuses).

Pal gets so many good spells and with Abundant you can really free up some slots for rest of team on stuff like Magic, Weapon Greater. You get Greater Angelic (which is REALLY good) earlier than a Cleric (lvl13) and Divine Weapon Bond just keeps getting better.

You can make Balanced Defender Holy, Keen, Axiomatic +5 (with MW, G) and still get the +3 (on Sword *and* Shield) from fighting Sword and Board.

But only if you stick with it. Immunity from Compulsions etc. Might tack on something else at the very end but I’d also be happy with more casts and duration on great rnd/lvl spells, especially at 4th level and of course more Mark activations.

You’ve got Boots for some Speed but by lvl 11 shld usually have Haste up. Can always take Lann Drovier for the Speed Aura.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Shit tank?
Yeah Regill shit tank on Hard and Unfair when you get him. Which i already discussed at length. Even with half decent AC he still a shit tank. If you don't agree then you clearly playing on Normal/Core, which i have no problem with.
Sohei doesn't get Leopard
You can pick any other class that gets it.
Morale *AC* is very rare
Helmet of Comradery. Lizard Tail. Ring of Nahyndrian Courage(against ranged). Some other sources i cant remember now.
You don't have Domain Zealot Cleric for all your Cleric needs because there are already so many good Domains
Don't tell me how i play.
Damage isn't the problem on higher difficulties, it's making sure you can hit and not be hit as well as stopping/surviving high level casts. HK Reg is great at all that.
It is at lower leves. And everything you wrote - Gendarme Regill does better than HK and does it EARLIER. HK Regill is shit at all that before later acts when you can buff him so much that the shit class stops mattering much.
How about sucking less instead of talking out of your ass.

Damage, damage, damage - you retards are all the same.
Cant even argue without insulting your way out losing argument. Nobody told you how to play, you're the only one who bitching at people for "building wrong". All your builds end up being "do what owlcat wants you to", which is worthless waste of forum space. But due to being a low IQ faggot, you apparently cant figure it out.
Lol scoreboard loser.

This is exactly backwards. I’m saying there are any number of ways to play. You’re the one nerfing yourself by shoehorning everything into the one weird trick you found that does in fact work great on classes built around it but not so much on characters with six levels doing the opposite thing.

Owned with Reg on Hard/Unfair as anyone who can (and will) just read the abilities that come with each class and progress them can do as long as you trust your own judgement and aren’t following the godawful meme-builds you find online. Evidently they don’t even know that Order of the Godclaw exists, or how Domains work. The Morale AC is AoE dumbass, that’s the point.

I think you really are InEffective’s alt with the “you must be playing easy” horseshit. No I’m playing the hardest difficulties and running circles around you and you can’t deal.

Git gud.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Haplo needs all that ridiculous damage because he’s mostly soloing with a character or two looking on in support.

If you’re playing Reg in the first place that isn’t what you’re doing. Full party play benefits more from group synergies and tactics and that’s something HK Reg offers in spades on both offense and defense.

The online “builds” seem sadly oblivious to that entire dynamic.

Desiderius

Patron
How to play HK Reg:

Play Wolj in that slot until he leaves. Playing with a set six sells yourself short. Different companions are better suited to different environments/tasks and mixing and matching them is part of the skill of the game. That said you really want Honorable Judgment on Reg. Reg leaves at same time as Wolj but you get him back and his weapon on way up the mountain at Lost Chapel. I still wait to add him until after Nulk to get Mythic Feat for Mythic TWF/DEX-to-damage or Mythic Dazzling depending if you want him to be your assassin/interupter or Intimidator with Fearsomeness.

Last time I played I didn't even bother with DEX to Dam because his Weapon had extra damage packets. I did use Power Attack on most fights (+2 STR Belt + Reduce + Cat’s Grace). Sets you up for Dreadful Carnage.

There’s a cheap Reduce wand (and another with Enlarge) with 50 activations but its a high rest environment with Abundant Casting (and BubbleBuff mod) so I usually don’t need it. STR/based characters want Bull’s STR so STR belt is free.

High rest means plenty of scrolls from Nenio too and Reg likes a Shield scroll.

Of course he’s Feat light at first. I chose Battle Scion Azata MC so nobody on my team needed to take Teamwork Feats. You could get the same effect from taking a Merc/MC Cavalier that’s not Gendarme since most of the others have Tactician but hey it’s objectively the best amirite?

Not. Gendarme is EK on a Horse.

Lvl 10 his Aura goes up to +2, 11 he picks up second iterative so with Haste he has four Main Hand attacks. I leave the off-hand stuff for the Armiger back-end when he catches up on ancillary Feats. But with two full BAB on main hand (Hasted) and one off-hand you’ll be doing plenty already on Full Attacks. People like to design for a ton of attacks but they seldom show up in my Combat Logs on non-ranged characters.

If you don’t like Nobility Domain for some reason you’ve got Law Domain at (char) lvl 7 that lets you take 11 on any roll (skill check, atk, save) with multiple activations. Better than Touch of Good for most of the game. But the memebuilders don’t care about skills and they think CMs suck. They’re idiots. Then at 13 Law lets you make anyone’s weapon Axiomatic. Sadly only HK lvls count as Domain lvls (should be Order lvls) so not as good as Tristian’s Holy Lance.

The other ones are Glory(?) for the CHR trick, War(?) for the (needed) Feat and the clunky but eventually substantial damage boost and I’ll need to check on the other since inline resources are garbage.

But I’m here for Nobility since its usually only available with Abadar or Impossible Domain (burning a Mythic). +2 AC/AB/dam Insight AoE. Hard to beat that even with the (limited) bugginess.

I did more of the Intimidation in Alpha/Beta with the interrupter/assassin in the Unfair run with help from Scion MC giving Pounce. Did (more than) enough damage to interrupt spells lvls 10-13 and had the tools to take down Playful by level 15.

You've got enough AC to move through crowded combat unmolested then can add some Illusion to tank (some) bosses depending on True Seeing and your ability to Dispel it.

Last edited:

Scyrito

Novice
Finished my first playthrough, went with Bloodrager - Reformed Fiend to start with (seemed thematically appropriate), picked Trickster for moar criticals and auto-shaken on fucking everything with Persuasion trick. Played on Core with additional enemy abilities enabled (so more like Hard I guess? Had respecs enabled so game decided on calling it Custom).

Worked well enough, but wasn't totally satisfied so chose Legend for the final path. After "careful consideration" just decided to fuck it and grab Mutation Warrior on top of Bloodrager. Full martial all the way to the bank, baby. Motherless bite + Demon horns + Gore from the helmet + Mutagen secondary attacks to go along with 40 BAB worth of primary attacks (Falchion, Imp crit, Mythic Power attack) by the end was kinda hilarious. Basically just solo'd everything in the end, 1-rounding Deskari etc.

Starting 2nd playthrough now, was thinking Inquisitor - Sanctified Slayer with Animal Domain to grab a pet. Sanctified just seems stacked to the gills; Sneak Die, Solo Tactics, some Slayer talents etc.

Is there any reason to go for Sacred Huntmaster since you get a pet from the domain anyway? Favored enemy is kinda nice, I guess?

Worth it to dip 2 levels of Mad Dog for the Flanking at lvl 2, like does it stack with Outflank and/or the Chainmail of Comradery?
Reformed Fiend abilities are backloaded if you take Abyssal Bloodline (and it's the good one I think), and so are Mutation Warrior (doesn't get Greater Mutation until lvl 12).

I seriously don't understand why people continue to destroy their class progression. The weirdest thing is that they think they're doing something broken. Read your abilities. Look forward to the good ones. Get there and enjoy.

Was a Legend build, bro. Didn't destroy progression, was Reformed Fiend 17 on unlocking Legend; instant boost to 33-34 or something.

Capped Reformed Fiend, took rest in Mutation Warrior. Might be kinda redundant to take 2 full BAB martial classes, but just wanted to make a Big Smash Lad.

I agree on excessive splashing personally, didn't much like the "meta" in Kangmaker where motherfuckers splashed a level of monk on fucking EVERYTHING.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Just finished the game. 101h and I deliberately ignored a good chunk of the content, especially in the later acts... I think that says it all. I'm going to bed.

I will sperg out on this thread tomorrow because there's a hell of a lot to say about this game, much of it bad. Owlcat must have been smoking some of the finest stuff around when they made some of their design decisions.. not to mention the writing and companions.

Desiderius

Patron
Lulz, just checked and Reg can get Haplo's Travel Domain Dimensional Hop to set up the Pounces via Pentamic Faith.

Case closed.

Can also get Silence or Slow attached to his Smites, which is great action econ on a Swift with some set-up (after Shaken, Sicken, and Archon's w/ optional Hex to debuff Saves).

Desiderius

Patron
Was a Legend build, bro. Didn't destroy progression, was Reformed Fiend 17 on unlocking Legend; instant boost to 33-34 or something.

Capped Reformed Fiend, took rest in Mutation Warrior. Might be kinda redundant to take 2 full BAB martial classes, but just wanted to make a Big Smash Lad.

I agree on excessive splashing personally, didn't much like the "meta" in Kangmaker where motherfuckers splashed a level of monk on fucking EVERYTHING.
(deleted)

Stoned Ape

Savant
Lulz, just checked and Reg can get Haplo's Travel Domain Dimensional Hop to set up the Pounces via Pentamic Faith.

Case closed.

Can also get Silence or Slow attached to his Smites, which is great action econ on a Swift with some set-up (after Shaken, Sicken, and Archon's w/ optional Hex to debuff Saves).
Cool, have they patched it so that he finally gets activations for teleport now? Hellknight levels weren't counting for some reason last time I tried it (the icon showed up but always had 0 charges).

Can he also take Domain Zealot again? He wasn't able to last time I tried, either... I was thinking of taking levels of Deliverer after Hellknight to let him pick DZ for swift teleport into 5' step melee range rather than bothering to try to work out a way to get him pounce.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
The late Armiger levels are underrated since IIRC he gets a lot of Feats there and his Advanced Weapon Training which he can use on Fighter's (Solo) Tactics. Also some more Armor training.

I'll have to take another look. I've heard different things about how his Domain stuff is/isn't working. There was some fix where abilities were checking the Faith instead of the Order or something? I'm just waiting for the Enhanced or whatever edition. Seems like they've finally got some people who at least know how to play working on things even if they're still ignoring the playerbase so maybe one of them likes playing Regill.

I am intrigued by the Angelfire Apostle archetype. I like all of its features alot but it seems like a trap. Being reduced one spell per level is if no consequence in WotR and is offset by the Versatile Channel ability since you no longer have to memorize standard cleric spells just in case. I really like what Pathfinder did with paladin mercies, and this is similar.

Cleansing Flames seems really cool since it works for all spells and is based off of spell tier. All the better with a merged Angel spellbook that pushes you 2 tiers higher. Ultimately the damage seems a bit light, but enter Elemental Barrage. Since half of the damage is fire, if you have an elemental oriented domain, the damage could be very good.

The biggest caveat seems to be the amount of channels. If you're using them for spell damage, you lose the utility of Versatile Channel and visa versa. The PC will only have about a dozen channels a day anyhow, so maybe its not even worth it. Hence the trap. Cleansing Flames has to be within 20' to work, so you have to be in the thick of it, but the arxherype is only lightly armored. Reach weapon seems obligatory. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Haplo since you toyed around with this so much - what's the best mount for mounted combat in your opinion? In terms of damage, AC, and not getting stuck because of being fat-ass

Desiderius

Patron
I am intrigued by the Angelfire Apostle archetype. I like all of its features alot but it seems like a trap. Being reduced one spell per level is if no consequence in WotR and is offset by the Versatile Channel ability since you no longer have to memorize standard cleric spells just in case. I really like what Pathfinder did with paladin mercies, and this is similar.

Cleansing Flames seems really cool since it works for all spells and is based off of spell tier. All the better with a merged Angel spellbook that pushes you 2 tiers higher. Ultimately the damage seems a bit light, but enter Elemental Barrage. Since half of the damage is fire, if you have an elemental oriented domain, the damage could be very good.

The biggest caveat seems to be the amount of channels. If you're using them for spell damage, you lose the utility of Versatile Channel and visa versa. The PC will only have about a dozen channels a day anyhow, so maybe its not even worth it. Hence the trap. Cleansing Flames has to be within 20' to work, so you have to be in the thick of it, but the arxherype is only lightly armored. Reach weapon seems obligatory. What do you guys think?
If you've got the Swifts free then bonus damage is never bad and I'm sure there's some way to regularly trigger Barrage with it. AoE is the thing that makes Barrage really good (as with Cleaving shot on Eldritch Archer).

You want to be in the range where this would work already to use Archon's Aura. I've looked at it too and seems like something fun to take a spin with.

The other interesting Channeler is the Purifier Oracle and there's a Cloak in AreeSu's Lab made for that one.

Last edited:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Haplo since you toyed around with this so much - what's the best mount for mounted combat in your opinion? In terms of damage, AC, and not getting stuck because of being fat-ass
Well, I'm very fond of leopards lately. Courtesy of Desiderius' recommendation.

Best early AC, no need for barding feats with its high Dex, grows sooner then all others (level 4 rather then 7), Pounce, even trip (though not as good as on dog/wolf). And medium size! It can fit in really narrow spaces. Much smaller then a wolf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom