Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - Enhanced Edition - A Dance of Masks epilogue DLC coming June 13th

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sure Skald seems to be very niche class for very specific party builds
No, what I am trying to say is that Bard is very niche class who gives often useless competence bonus in a quite minor quantities and who is only good for low bab ray-casters and some rare spell-like abilities users.

Everyone else better off with Skald.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, what I am trying to say is that Bard is very niche class who gives often useless competence bonus in a quite minor quantities and who is only good for low bab ray-casters and some rare spell-like abilities users.

Wtf, rage is only melee bonus, how many melee do you need?! I never need more than two. Others are casters or some kind of Archer. And then you add a Skald that just wastes a spot giving a minor additional bonus to those 2 melee dudes while giving nothing useful to other 3 (and itself). Bard gives bonus to everyone and they can all use it.

Daidre

Arcane
Wtf, rage is only melee bonus, how many melee do you need?
Come on, I have explained this already Reckless Stance is UNIVERSAL ab bonus, it works on archers.
For example my freshly recruited lvl 8 Skald can give + 5 AC to everyone:
yoMgd8d.png
Or +6 Attack to my sniper rowdy, and everyone else, at the price of -4 AC
X5z5zEo.png
He also gives 2 additional attacks to my doggy with any song, extra bite too when Skald hits lvl 9:
dMmbCzV.png
And all of this will scale higher and higher, iirc to +12 both AC and AB.

His song is just a constructor, with excessive use of Extra Rage Power feat he could gather shitton of Barb goodies, from Stances to fear Immune and AoE DR 6/-.

PS With so many pics I feel like fucking desi-desi.

Last edited:

Stoned Ape

Savant
I plan to start a Mystic Theurge+loremaster walkthrough: Legend Path, wizard/oracle.
Now I am ready to use gestalt leveling if needed (and remove caster level restriction, because fuck this shit with level 20 restriction for classes, I wanted to play wizard 40), but I cannot decide between Seeker and Philosopher subclasses for Oracle. I decided for Wizard to go Spell Master, although I can be wrong.
Now important question is race (thinking about aasimar or human) and how exactly ability scores should be distributed at the start of the game, because character will be MAD (fucking insane, if you ask me).
Any suggestions?
Perhaps it sounds crazy and convoluted, but I just want to play Legend as proper caster.
You want to combine two classes that use same casting stat.
There little problem with this - there no divine caster who uses Int as stat for casting (No occultist class or that one Inquisitor sub-class, Holic hasn't made a mod for WOTR). And why I want Int and not Char or Wis? Skills and also there plenty Char casters. And I decided against Wis caster because I have no inspiration to play one as right now. Damn this class level limit, otherwise I would be playing a single class caster.
Unless you are playing solo there is zero reason to make you main your skill monkey.
Gives you flexibility in party make-up and depending on your MC and its abilities (like Bardic Knowledge) it may be your best at certain skills. Legend getting 40 ranks also enters into the equation.

You can also play an INT-based Arcane Class for beating saves with a WIS-based Divine Class (even Ranger counts for this) for support. BFT20/Freebooter10/MT10 seems like it could be pretty good? I don’t have any experience with doing Legend casters tho so take with grain of salt.

You unlock Legend pretty late so need to have a plan for the other 7/8ths of the game.
Thanks for answers and suggestions.
Even without modifying the game, you can reach caster level 28 with a Legend by taking 8 prestige class levels with spell advancement before level 20, so you could theoretically go for a leveling pattern something like Oracle 4/Wizard 6/MT 10/Wizard 12/Oracle 8 which would eventually get you to Wizard caster level 28 and Oracle caster level 22. If you choose lich as your mythic path before going Legend you'd also qualify for 10th level wizard spells that way, and with a merged book you'd still be a good arcane caster when you hit Mythic Rank 4.

If you swapped the wizard and oracle levels over, you'd instead qualify for 10th level oracle spells if you chose the angel path before swapping to Legend.

Honestly, I'd consider going for an Oracle/Sorcerer/MT or a Cleric/Empyreal Sorcerer/MT instead, though. If you choose human as race and set INT to 14 you'll get plenty of skill points anyway. On top of that you still get skill points up until 40th level as a legend and you don't really need many skills with more than 20 ranks in them.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Come on, I have explained this already Reckless Stance is UNIVERSAL ab bonus, it works on archers.
yoMgd8d.png
X5z5zEo.png
He also gives 2 additional attacks to my doggy with any song, extra bite too when Skald hits lvl 9:
dMmbCzV.png

His song is just a constructor, with excessive use of Extra Rage Power feat he could gather shitton of Barb goodies, from Stances to fear Immune and AoE DR 6/-.

Let the force flow through you, Luke.

The bottom line is that Bard gets somewhat (but not entirely, Dirge Bard still does some interesting things) outscaled in Wrath. I’m with ArchAngel tho in that at least w/ RTwP Skald is clunky enough that I don’t bring either one unless I have to since no companions set up well for them.

You can scrounge up Competence elsewhere and don’t necessarily need the absurd bonuses outside Unfair/DLC.

Desiderius

Patron

Wtf, rage is only melee bonus, how many melee do you need?! I never need more than two. Others are casters or some kind of Archer. And then you add a Skald that just wastes a spot giving a minor additional bonus to those 2 melee dudes while giving nothing useful to other 3 (and itself). Bard gives bonus to everyone and they can all use it.
Skald can fight in melee and with Azata (there are no Skald companions) can also beat saves. The bonus isn’t minor.

But yeah I had a lot of melee (and Summons) with Skald MC to maintain control of the Battlefield because on Unfair you have to.

Seelah, Wolj/Reg, Cam+Leopard early, Sos Enlarged/Reach, plus MC for most of game. Nenio only other main caster. Sos was a pain trying to turn Rage on and off but his Domain stuff is melee so just didn’t cast much with him.

It’s an uphill battle to beat saves without a Mythic Path helping you so the idea is you just buff everybody else up and let them fight.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I plan to start a Mystic Theurge+loremaster walkthrough: Legend Path, wizard/oracle.
Now I am ready to use gestalt leveling if needed (and remove caster level restriction, because fuck this shit with level 20 restriction for classes, I wanted to play wizard 40), but I cannot decide between Seeker and Philosopher subclasses for Oracle. I decided for Wizard to go Spell Master, although I can be wrong.
Now important question is race (thinking about aasimar or human) and how exactly ability scores should be distributed at the start of the game, because character will be MAD (fucking insane, if you ask me).
Any suggestions?
Perhaps it sounds crazy and convoluted, but I just want to play Legend as proper caster.
You want to combine two classes that use same casting stat.
There little problem with this - there no divine caster who uses Int as stat for casting (No occultist class or that one Inquisitor sub-class, Holic hasn't made a mod for WOTR). And why I want Int and not Char or Wis? Skills and also there plenty Char casters. And I decided against Wis caster because I have no inspiration to play one as right now. Damn this class level limit, otherwise I would be playing a single class caster.
Unless you are playing solo there is zero reason to make you main your skill monkey.
Gives you flexibility in party make-up and depending on your MC and its abilities (like Bardic Knowledge) it may be your best at certain skills. Legend getting 40 ranks also enters into the equation.

You can also play an INT-based Arcane Class for beating saves with a WIS-based Divine Class (even Ranger counts for this) for support. BFT20/Freebooter10/MT10 seems like it could be pretty good? I don’t have any experience with doing Legend casters tho so take with grain of salt.

You unlock Legend pretty late so need to have a plan for the other 7/8ths of the game.
Thanks for answers and suggestions.
Even without modifying the game, you can reach caster level 28 with a Legend by taking 8 prestige class levels with spell advancement before level 20, so you could theoretically go for a leveling pattern something like Oracle 4/Wizard 6/MT 10/Wizard 12/Oracle 8 which would eventually get you to Wizard caster level 28 and Oracle caster level 22. If you choose lich as your mythic path before going Legend you'd also qualify for 10th level wizard spells that way, and with a merged book you'd still be a good arcane caster when you hit Mythic Rank 4.

If you swapped the wizard and oracle levels over, you'd instead qualify for 10th level oracle spells if you chose the angel path before swapping to Legend.

Honestly, I'd consider going for an Oracle/Sorcerer/MT or a Cleric/Empyreal Sorcerer/MT instead, though. If you choose human as race and set INT to 14 you'll get plenty of skill points anyway. On top of that you still get skill points up until 40th level as a legend and you don't really need many skills with more than 20 ranks in them.
Or just play an INT-based w/Prestige then tack on the MT once you unlock Legend. You don’t have to beat saves on both halves of MT so don’t need an insane caster stat for the second half. MT lets you unload buffs and situational stuff to one half so the other gets more offensive casts.

ArchAngel

Arcane
yoMgd8d.png
X5z5zEo.png
dMmbCzV.png

I never take that as I don't want AC penalty so I don't see that as a useful bonus. And this is again not a damage bonus. Bard gives me bonus attack and damage with no AC penalty. And works on everyone.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Skald can fight in melee and with Azata (there are no Skald companions) can also beat saves. The bonus isn’t minor.

But yeah I had a lot of melee (and Summons) with Skald MC to maintain control of the Battlefield because on Unfair you have to.

Seelah, Wolj/Reg, Cam+Leopard early, Sos Enlarged/Reach, plus MC for most of game. Nenio only other main caster. Sos was a pain trying to turn Rage on and off but his Domain stuff is melee so just didn’t cast much with him.

It’s an uphill battle to beat saves without a Mythic Path helping you so the idea is you just buff everybody else up and let them fight.
Maybe Skald is useful for Unfair where you want to find any additional +1 to attack so you are willing to sacrifice in other ways but for Core I don't see how it is more useful than Bard unless you got a really heavy melee party with no medium bab caster melee characters that will lose access to all their spells they need to be useful.

Desiderius

Patron
It forces a certain playstyle/party makeup which is the only downside (and the upside is a lot bigger than you make it out to be) so it’s kind of a no-brainer if that’s already your playstyle or it fits the circumstances (some tailwinds and you already need mercs for DLC).

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is this game even playable now? I booted it after a looong break and in many fights in TB every other enemy seems to freeze for like 20-30 seconds with "???" status icon over their heads after they do what they do, forcing me to T+T all the time and making TB mode p. much a no go. I also get shitload of visual glitches (enemy corpses t-posing, cloaks of killed characters waving) that I never had before. Latest patch and no mods. Screw this shit, seriously.

Daidre

Arcane
Maybe Skald is useful for Unfair where you want to find any additional +1 to attack so you are willing to sacrifice in other ways but for Core I don't see how it is more useful than Bard unless you got a really heavy melee party with no medium bab caster melee characters that will lose access to all their spells they need to be useful.
There is whole category of what I call "crutch" characters in my head - Skald, Brownfur Transmuter, Sensei, Paladin with Mark of Justice, domain focused cleric/inquisitor etc. Any of those are powerful enough supports for me to elevate even most mediocre party (filled with medium bab martials usually) to be comfortable on Hard. It feels weird to shove more than one of those into group, but I like to have curve-breaking options at hand when shit hits the fan - and in rogue like it happens often enough with... let call them artefacts of random generation.

Because Owlcat had made a lot of weird fuck ups when they filled their enemy tiers with particular units. So you can end up with lvl 7-8 half-naked party against an army of elder elementals, or meet Woundwyrms at lvl 9 (Devarra clones with less buffs), or some Vampier Fencer ladies around level 10 with AC in late 50ies (seriously wtf?!).

ArchAngel

Arcane
It forces a certain playstyle/party makeup which is the only downside (and the upside is a lot bigger than you make it out to be) so it’s kind of a no-brainer if that’s already your playstyle or it fits the circumstances (some tailwinds and you already need mercs for DLC).
I agree with that, and I said that multiple times but people keep claiming it is just superior to Bard overall.

ArchAngel

Arcane
There is whole category of what I call "crutch" characters in my head - Skald, Brownfur Transmuter, Sensei, Paladin with Mark of Justice, domain focused cleric/inquisitor etc. Any of those are powerful enough supports for me to elevate even most mediocre party (filled with medium bab martials usually) to be comfortable on Hard. It feels weird to shove more than one of those into group, but I like to have curve-breaking options at hand when shit hits the fan - and in rogue like it happens often enough with... let call them artefacts of random generation.

Because Owlcat had made a lot of weird fuck ups when they filled their enemy tiers with particular units. So you can end up with lvl 7-8 half-naked party against an army of elder elementals, or meet Woundwyrms at lvl 9 (Devarra clones with less buffs), or some Vampier Fencer ladies around level 10 with AC in late 50ies (seriously wtf?!).
I saw the Vampire Fencers, at least on Core their AC was nothing special, they mostly die in surprise round like about 80% of enemies.

As for Skald, you guys convinced me to make a melee heavy party supported by Skald. What version of skald is best at supporting a melee heavy party? Can I make a Skald that gives reckless with his rage song and barbarian that goes other rage powers and those two stack on that barbarian?

Last edited:

Daidre

Arcane
I saw the Vampire Lancers, at least on Core their AC was nothing spells, they mostly die in surprise round like about 80% of enemies.
Core > Hard is the biggest difficulty jump between the standard levels, imho. I've played Last Azlanti Core recently and was surprised how much faceroll it was.
Nocticula for example does not have her strongest ability on Core - Banshee Wail with 40+ DC that hits for 300+ dmg
As for Scald, you guys convinced me to make a melee heavy party supported by Skald. What versions of skald is best at supporting a melee heavy party? Can I make a Skald that gives reckless with his rage song and barbarian that goes other rage powers and those two stack on that barbarian?
Yes they stack. I had Barb with AB bonuses from two stances once, when I've rolled tailwind that buffed skalds and barbarians. And the best Skald archetype is arguably vanilla Skald.

Daidre

Arcane
I would only take Reckless on a party of ranged characters tbh
Second tier of animal totem gives stackable +AC bonus. My Skald has 3 modes:
1) +2-12 AC Focused with Guarded Stance + T2 Animal Totem.
2) -1 almost AC Neutral, +2-6 AB with Reckless Stance + T2 Animal Totem.
3) -2-5 AC penalty, +2-12 AB with Reckless Stance + Inspire Ferocity + T2 Animal Totem.

Desiderius

Patron
I agree with that, and I said that multiple times but people keep claiming it is just superior to Bard overall.
It is because the Rage Powers scale themselves. Its like picking up a new scaling Song every three lvls and they all stack. Bard isn’t necessarily the best parallel even with the same spellbook because its so much easier to duplicate what you got from Good Hope in P:K.

I don’t think base Bard or most of the variants are good enough to make the cut. Skald is when your playstyle (especially forced playstyle as in DLC) already fits it.

Desiderius

Patron
I would only take Reckless on a party of ranged characters tbh
You’re better off with a balance of Ranged and Melee and with Reckless that lets whole party benefit from Skald instead of just melee. You can manage the AC malus with tactics/reach etc.

I’m inclined to only play Skald w/melee heavy Tailwind on high difficulties (for the Guarded AC) but that’s just due to my playstyle (including how much AB I already stack). Reckless/Ferocity can certainly work for mixed party or on a Barb.

Not a big fan of multiple Stances. There are a lot of good ancillary Rage Powers you can pick up late after you finish Stance and Totem, especially with Guarded.

Yosharian

Arcane
Oh I see you switch between stances. That's ... a good idea, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm too lazy though, I dunno if I can be bothered

Desiderius

Patron
That’s very late game that it’s even possible and you waste most of the benefit from Guarded to do it. I guess you could skip Totems altogether and do that? Skald gets Rage Powers slower than Barb.

There is whole category of what I call "crutch" characters in my head - Skald, Brownfur Transmuter, Sensei, Paladin with Mark of Justice, domain focused cleric/inquisitor etc.
Freebooter/Demonslayer Bond, Alch Infusions, etc…

I mean game (certainly high difficulties) is designed with these effects in mind. It’s only a crutch if you’re cramming the same ones into each playthrough with mercs or messing up companions, but DLC is all merc in the first place so it’s natural to use at least some of them unless Tailwind dictates something else.

I just get annoyed when people claim their six soloer design is objectively better than using them. There’s nothing wrong with playing Core (or Hard if you’re *really* good) without any but don’t tell me it’s objectively better.

Daidre

Arcane
That’s very late game that it’s even possible and you waste most of the benefit from Guarded to do it. I guess you could skip Totems altogether and do that? Skald gets Rage Powers slower than Barb.
Skald gets Extra Rage Power feat. He can have, well, not everything, but most of what you desire.
aSAKQ0Y.png
Reckless Stance
Inspire Ferocity
Guarded Stance
Beast Totem, Small
Beast Totem, Medium
Animal Fury
Rolling Dodge

And he has extra combat feats, so he can be passable archer/melee too.

Desiderius

Patron
Skald gets Extra Rage Power feat. He can have, well, not everything, but most of what you desire.
aSAKQ0Y.png
Reckless Stance
Inspire Ferocity
Guarded Stance
Beast Totem, Small
Beast Totem, Medium
Animal Fury
Rolling Dodge

And he has extra combat feats, so he can be passable archer/melee too.
Lol except my Skald is my main caster because he can cast with Rage up and gets Favorable + Ode from Azata (and another melee to use buffs in Aivu). Plus I was on Battle Scion so was taking Shake it Off and Outflank (and Back to Back maybe?) as well. Good way to tide team over until Azata TW Superpower.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I saw the Vampire Lancers, at least on Core their AC was nothing spells, they mostly die in surprise round like about 80% of enemies.
Core > Hard is the biggest difficulty jump between the standard levels, imho. I've played Last Azlanti Core recently and was surprised how much faceroll it was.
Nocticula for example does not have her strongest ability on Core - Banshee Wail with 40+ DC that hits for 300+ dmg
As for Scald, you guys convinced me to make a melee heavy party supported by Skald. What versions of skald is best at supporting a melee heavy party? Can I make a Skald that gives reckless with his rage song and barbarian that goes other rage powers and those two stack on that barbarian?
Yes they stack. I had Barb with AB bonuses from two stances once, when I've rolled tailwind that buffed skalds and barbarians. And the best Skald archetype is arguably vanilla Skald.
I play on Core+, Core but I turn on that option that lets enemies get some special AI or something. I never fought Noticula so I don't know if she could use this ability or not.

Desiderius

Patron
Core is decent for me until I know what I’m doing/have a good general plan and even there I like to kick up difficulty as game progresses instead of starting out on Hard/Unfair since difficulty curve is not steady.

Still did Unfair-only run in both games so I’ll know what people who are doing that are talking about but that takes a specific design, especially in Wrath.

Adjusting difficulty as you go lets you put together a wider variety of parties, though I avoid anything that wouldn’t be able to kick it up to at least Hard by level 10 or so. Hard/Hard+ seems about the sweet spot for later stuff, or Core+ if I haven’t been playing much. Skill degrades pretty quickly.

As Daidre said DLC throws enough random shit at you I have no interest at all in Unfair and I may leave the Hard to him as well, though I’d probably kick this merged Angel up there if I didn’t need to make sure I don’t wipe to unlock content.

I’ll probably wuss out and go multiple saves so I can refight the toughest fights on Unfair to see how my parties stack up tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom