Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder and Forgotten Realms

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I'm looking to set up a campaign in FR using the Pathfinder rules. Just wondering if any of you have done this before, and if the 3rd edition FR book can be used p. much as it is, or if I need to convert an assload of stats, in which case I figure I could just do the same with 2nd edition since I like that iteration of the Realms a lot more.

any useful advice is welcome, like is there some specific adventure or module I should get my hands on?

Telengard

Arcane
Depends on how much of a purist you are. Pathfinder is essentially the same core game with a huge number of tweaks. Everything can be used almost as is, but it wouldn't be "right", if that's important. Such as the race stat bonuses/negatives have been altered. That such and such an NPC doesn't have the right +/- isn't likely to have much effect on how things turn out, but it is a fact.

Pathfinder has a free Game Conversion Guide PDF, if you want all the gory details.

The main changes that you run into converting a sourcebook are Skills, since some of 3.5's were cut/combined (but a little logic fixes that without even the need for sitting down and converting), people of certain classes won't have enough hit points (meh), and the fact that people should have more feats than they will have (since Pathfinder hands them out every other level). Then also all of the "wrestling" moves have been combined into the CMB system - not really an issue when converting.

Other than that, everything pretty much functionally works as is.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I've done it numerous times, without issues. I haven't really changed anything.

As for adventures, I can *heartily* recommend Kingmaker - it is the fucking shizzle. Add your own intrigues to the main plot, make exploration a bit more attractive, and you've got one kickass adventure.

If oldschool dungeoncrawling is your thing, Citadel of Pain with the Megadungeon Tileset is sweet as fuck too.

Can be a bit more specific about what you are looking for?

Also, about setting, I prefer using 3rd edition Forgotten Realms with a lot of the good stuff from 2nd shoe-horned in.

JrK

Prophet
Some races might need revision (I doubt it), the deities need to be redone for domains (redistribute, my wife and I already did something like that for PF), pretty much everything else in the FR core is fluff. Unless you need to stat an NPC in which case I'd say just rebuild it in PF rules.

Oh, keep an eye on the spells to check that they do not need changes.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Thanks for the help guys, everything has been of great use so far. Do you know how much inconsistencies there are between fluffbased classes and prestige classes from FR and the templates in PF? Can the FR stuff be used if I just put in the extra feats and change the skills you think?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Players are going to be stronger (larger hit dice, more feats, more skillpoints, merged skills). But if you boost the monsters a bit you should be able to run PF into FR with no problems. The only new stats are CMB/CMD for simpler combat maneuvers, and those are derived entirely from attributes already present in the game. Make sure your players use the PF spells where applicable, as several of the staple OP spells (summon monster, glitterdust etc) have been given nerfs. Same with druids. Make sure players are aware of wild shapes new restrictions. Also, try to discourage going overboard with multi/prestige classes. The core classes in PF generally function better if you go straight core class levels. Most of the things you'd usually just take a dip in get a lot of new goodies that reward you for sticking with the class.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Thanks for the help guys, everything has been of great use so far. Do you know how much inconsistencies there are between fluffbased classes and prestige classes from FR and the templates in PF? Can the FR stuff be used if I just put in the extra feats and change the skills you think?

All D&D stuff can be used with your approval, without trouble. So FR-stuff like spells, feats and so on can be taken if you allow it.

JrK

Prophet
AFAIK the FR fluff classes are mostly utter shit, and PF has slightly buffed PCs normal classes, so be prepared to aid complaining players with buffs to their class.

Telengard

Arcane
For Templates overall, the only major changes I've noticed are frequently 2 less skill points (fitting with the fewer skills in Pathfinder). Pathfinder has fewer official ones, but a number of those have been unofficially adapted on the wiki.

For classes, the substance of the classes rarely is changed (what powers and abilities a class has), but the bonuses within those abilities are changed. There are often additional abilities too. However, since the core doesn't change, all it takes is using the new ruleset to automatically adapt them all.

Prestige classes - the skills do have to be changed over, due to there being less skills in Pathfinder, and you might want to lower the skill point gain by 2 in some cases to fit with the Pathfinder structure (unnecessary change, but it can aid balance), and raise the hp gain of some classes (unnecessary change, but it can aid balance, since some of the core classes that they are based on now have more hp). But feats and special abilities can easily be left just as they are.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Be sure to point your players to http://d20pfsrd.com for chargen. Races generally use +2 to 2 stats, -2 to another instead of the +2 to one, -2 to one of 3.5. Most of the races you'd find in FR are already statted on the wiki, so it's no big issue. But some players may be upset that their paticular cheesy elf subrace isn't in core.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
There are Tieflings for that now.

Be aware of the new channel energy mechanic. It drastically changes low level difficulty if you have a cleric or life oracle in the group, the amount of healing is enormous. So if you want to run a 3.5 or older adventure from level 1, beef up those encounters. As for a recommendation, Red Hand of Doom is a pretty good adventure and there are tons of resources available.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Oh yeah. Almost forgot. I'd houserule out fiendish heritage. Or simply say "Look BROs, FH was a feat from the Council of Thieves adventure path. It's not core". I know it costs them a feat (but feats a plentiful in PF) and it allows for some really broken cheese. I've run 2 characters with it. One was a rakshasa-spawn sorcerer who ended up with +4 CHA (effectively +6 CHA from Fiendish Sorcery), the other a Div-spawn 2h tanky paladin of Abadar who ended up getting DR 2/cold iron. How often do you see monsters with cold iron weapons?

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Prehensile Tail is also great for Wizards, retrieving scrolls and rods as swift action is pro.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Prehensile tail is awesome in general and mandatory if you're not a sorcerer. It's like a free quick draw feat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom