Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Our Top 10 Adventure Games [Results]

Bubb

Barely Literate
Jaesun said:
Bubb said:
I love cock! Yummy yummy cock!.

and by the way:

Users posting from this IP address
larpingdude17 [ 25 Posts ] Search
Schattenjager [ 22 Posts ] Search
Bubb [ 18 Posts ] Search
BonziBUDDY [ 12 Posts ] Search
Guest [ 2 Posts ]

Just keep your shit in GD fucking faggot.

Yes, the list of people who use "www.hidemyass.com". They must be all the same person.

Your list is fail, dude. I didn't really mean to troll, just to show my contempt in the style used here. Maybe people here do have an "average" taste in adventure games, but seriously, a better vote counting would do the games in the list more justice.

Is it really that hard to understand that someone's favorite game and the game that got in the list from lack of memory should not have the same weight on the list?

Antagonist

Liturgist
An overall good top ten list although my ordering would be a bit different if I were disallowed from removing or adding games. What I can't fathom is why Monkey Island 3 is up there. Monkey Island 3 was a huge decline compared to its predecessors in almost every regard that mattered: Horrible artwork, forced humor and last but not least terrible continuation of MI2 (and an uninteresting story in itself). Gilbert casually also hinted that he would have done MI3 differently and I hope that once he kicks the bucket he'll release the original plot outline as part of his heritage.

Antagonist

Liturgist
Marquess Cornwallis said:
...Full Throttle...it was shorter and easier than the earlier games, split into bite-sized chunks and had enough cutscenes to feel dangerously close at times to watching a cartoon (rather than playing a game). Grim Fandango was very similar in this respect

Objection. Grim Fandango had some mind-bending puzzles compared to Full Throttle which I finished on one weekend in my teen years. A lot of puzzles required quite creative solutions but never seemed unfair once solved and left you with a warm feeling of satisfaction instead of frustration.

Grim Fandongo is probably my favorite game from LucasArts and its a testimony to Tim Schafer's and his team's creativity that they managed to end LucasArts' adventure line on a high note despite internal resistances and a slowly fading market.

Antagonist

Liturgist
asper said:
The artwork of MI3 is excellent.

noose.jpg

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Antagonist said:
asper said:

noose.jpg

monkey-island-3.gif

So, what is wrong with it? It has style, character. I don't agree with the other criticisms as well; sure, the story is silly, but the same holds for 1 and 2. Would you really call the story of MI 1 or 2 "interesting"...? Curse has great voice acting and music, the puzzles are good. It's a great game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Antagonist said:
An overall good top ten list although my ordering would be a bit different if I were disallowed from removing or adding games. What I can't fathom is why Monkey Island 3 is up there.

I have not counted the actual number of votes for the people who did explictly state which MI game they liked. But off hand I could guess the total number of votes for MI3 was around 5% total.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
asper said:
Antagonist said:
asper said:

noose.jpg

monkey-island-3.gif

So, what is wrong with it? It has style, character. I don't agree with the other criticisms as well; sure, the story is silly, but the same holds for 1 and 2. Would you really call the story of MI 1 or 2 "interesting"...? Curse has great voice acting and music, the puzzles are good. It's a great game.

Aspers right. It's a great game. Fuck the haters. Forced humor? No more than any other MI game and plenty of genuinely funny moments. Guybrush singing to piss off the dandy pirate always cracked me up.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
commie said:
Aspers right. It's a great game. Fuck the haters. Forced humor? No more than any other MI game and plenty of genuinely funny moments. Guybrush singing to piss off the dandy pirate always cracked me up.
Eh, it was OK. I do like the background art, though the people themselves were fugly. Voice acting was great. Humor was a step down from previous games but overall it's quite good, even if Murray is one of the most overly long unfunny gags in adventure games. The last act is just plain horrible. In MI1 we had the hilarious (though not terribly interactive) last act, MI2 had the awesome final puzzle in the extremely bizarre and atmospheric underground (followed by the biggest WTF ending Lucasarts ever made), so MI3 threw in that incredibly contrived truckful of retcons to try and justify its own existence after MI2's ending, followed by one of the most inane "puzzles" to ever grace adventure games, followed by one of the most inane endings to ever grace any game. Some of the earlier bits were quite fun though, including most of act 2 and the "rhymes with orange" singing bit at the beginning of act 3. Puzzles were good, though some were just plain silly and not nearly as well balanced as MI2 or other Lucasarts games. Still, it was better than MI4.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
MI3 was great; inane, yes, but inanity was always inherent to the series. I didn't find the humour a step down, nor the people fugly. To me MI3 is no less of a classic than the first two games, so

commie said:
Fuck the haters.

:yeah:

Tolknaz

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Bubb said:
Fahreinheit and Dreamfall.
[PERCEPTION] Dreamfall is not in the list, mate. Fahrenheit had 9 votes, which is unquestionably too much, but it's still not anywhere near top 10.

Bubb

Barely Literate
MI3 was great, fuck the haters indeed. It was certainly not nearly as great as the first two, but it was good.

Also, I never quite understood the move to cartoony disney style graphics. If the first two games were anything to go by, monkey island should have a more realistic comic book style.

8b170a0db2-the-secret-of-monkey-island-special-edition-xbox360-14698.jpg

If the artistic direction had remained the same... sequels would be greatly inclined. Also, the special editions really screwed up by retroactively adapting the games to disney standards... Why not keep the original style?

Bubb

Barely Literate
Tolknaz said:
Bubb said:
Fahreinheit and Dreamfall.
[PERCEPTION] Dreamfall is not in the list, mate. Fahrenheit had 9 votes, which is unquestionably too much, but it's still not anywhere near top 10.

That was not the point, the point is that it received more votes than GREAT games. And the point also was that a more decently planned poll wouldn't cote votes the way it did.

Antagonist said:
Marquess Cornwallis said:
...Full Throttle...it was shorter and easier than the earlier games, split into bite-sized chunks and had enough cutscenes to feel dangerously close at times to watching a cartoon (rather than playing a game). Grim Fandango was very similar in this respect

Objection. Grim Fandango had some mind-bending puzzles compared to Full Throttle which I finished on one weekend in my teen years. A lot of puzzles required quite creative solutions but never seemed unfair once solved and left you with a warm feeling of satisfaction instead of frustration.

Grim Fandongo is probably my favorite game from LucasArts and its a testimony to Tim Schafer's and his team's creativity that they managed to end LucasArts' adventure line on a high note despite internal resistances and a slowly fading market.
Grim Fandango was certainly more difficult than Full Throttle, but still closer to it I think than to Day of the Tentacle (which happens to be my favourite Schafer game). DotT was equally funny and well-written, but it gave you access to practically all locations simultaneously and had a (hilariously twisted) logic behind its puzzles. In GF, you could explore only a handful of locations at once (and consequently, there was a more or less clear progression from problem A to B to C, etc.). The puzzles themselves did not feel exactly unfair, but perhaps rather random at times (Petrified Forest). All in all, GF stressed tighter storytelling over a more gameplay-based approach, which is the trend I had in mind when I compared it to Full Throttle.

Bonnie

Educated
Re-vote

"I have no mouth and I must scream" and "beneath the steel sky" deserve higher places.

I demand a re-vote.

(and get rid of number 5 please, unless it was only voted highly because noone has actually finished the whole game, only the first act, because it turns into the biggest pile of boringness I have ever seen).

Here's to start off the re-vote:

Beneath the Steel Sky
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
Loom
Gabriel Knight
Space Quest
Penumbra
Syberia
Maniac Mansion
Full Throttle
The Legend of Kyrandia

Phelot

Arcane
Nice job Jaesun.

To the 4 other voters for Maniac Mansion, I :salute: you!

zeitgeist

Magister
Bubb said:
If the artistic direction had remained the same... sequels would be greatly inclined. Also, the special editions really screwed up by retroactively adapting the games to disney standards... Why not keep the original style?
All in the name of glorious progress, obviously.

progressa.jpg

Redlands

Arcane
I'm not the biggest fan of Monkey Island, but dear lord that new "cover art" is horrible.

Either that or in the intervening years Guybrush joined a boy band as the "douchey one".

"Special" Edition indeed.

Bubb

Barely Literate
Bro, there is a re-vote going on, organized by yours truly. Just check the "codex top 10 adventures - REDUX" thread in these very same forums.

You are welcome to participate.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom