Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elder Scrolls Orpheus, a Gothic total conversion mod for Skyrim (lel)

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean, Gothic combat is pretty derpy, yeah, but at least it can be somewhat challenging until you become OP. Skyrim can be played blindfolded.

No it can't.
Just because you utterly suck at casual games doesn't mean they are challenging. I get the impression you would be challenged by building a house from Duplo blocks.

Yeah, you can block, evade, sneak, etc. in Skyrim. And all of it is entirely unnecessary as all you need to do is move around a bit and clickclickclickclick (and maybe charge, but only because it interrupts the boredom).
At best, you can do other things for LARPing - and that is their only use.

You don't need to pay attention to anything in combat in Skyrim. The only reason to level up at all is to improve damage output because otherwise some enemies just take too long to kill.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just because you utterly suck at casual games doesn't mean they are challenging. I get the impression you would be challenged by building a house from Duplo blocks.

Yeah, you can block, evade, sneak, etc. in Skyrim. And all of it is entirely unnecessary as all you need to do is move around a bit and clickclickclickclick (and maybe charge, but only because it interrupts the boredom).
At best, you can do other things for LARPing - and that is their only use.

You don't need to pay attention to anything in combat in Skyrim.

Even though I routinely sodomize you assholes you still think you can one-up me. :lol:

You are a lying cocksucker. some enemies in skyrim can one hit you from out of sight if you're underleveled. It's not a hard game by any means and I never said it was, but the claim that you don't have to pay attention to combat at all is a blatant lie.

The only reason to level up at all is to improve damage output because otherwise some enemies just take too long to kill.

If you don't level up in skyrim some enemies will kill you, period. Like Gothic. The challenge in gothic comes from the fact that there's barely anything you CAN do except play their poorly designed, extremely option free combat dance (well, you can play an even more boring archer/mage but why play at all?).

Iznaliu

Arbiter
as far as I can tell it's an action rpg made for people who don't like actual action rpgs (IE: diablo).

Just because two things are called "action RPGs" doesn't mean one has to be an ideal for the other to live up to.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
as far as I can tell it's an action rpg made for people who don't like actual action rpgs (IE: diablo).

Just because two things are called "action RPGs" doesn't mean one has to be an ideal for the other to live up to.

well the term "action rpg" was originally coined to describe diablo clones. And the problem isn't merely that it discards the diablo formula, but that the new formula doesn't blend well. for example, the anemic stat system is better suited for a game where you control a party and having shallow warriors/archers isn't a big deal because you have 5 more characters to manage.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Gothic barely qualifies as an RPG to begin with.
GTFO. There is C&C. Story and faction choices. Character progression and improvement. etc.

And Gothic's combat responsiveness is supposed to be clunky when you start the game, the animations are limited, because your character utterly sucks at combat. Learn some moves, and it will be smoother.

Modding Skyrim is impossible. You would have to replace everything. Combat, writing, graphics, exploration, world design. Why not make a new game then?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
GTFO. There is C&C. Story and faction choices.

CYOA shit.

Character progression and improvement. etc.

Of the simplistic and boring variety. like ad&d warriors, except you only have one character. I'm willing to put up with Morrowind's bland, shitty melee because every other aspect of the game is top notch. I can't say the same for gothic 1/2.

And Gothic's combat responsiveness is supposed to be clunky when you start the game, the animations are limited, because your character utterly sucks at combat. Learn some moves, and it will be smoother.

There's a difference between the character being awkward to control and buttons outright not working, like they often do. I used to play nearly every 3rd person rpg i could get my hands on and i could never stomach gothic 2. It's not just the actual attacking that is unresponsive, it's movement in general. The controls are shit, and IIRC even the control scheme is retarded, but I'm not gonna reinstall that POS just to remind myself why I hated it.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Modding Skyrim is impossible. You would have to replace everything. Combat, writing, graphics, exploration, world design. Why not make a new game then?
Modding Skyrim is very much possible. The possibility of modding in that engine has been possible since Morrowind.

The author isn't making a Gothic remake, so I'm guessing he's leaving in combat, as well as graphics assets and the like. I haven't modded since Morrowind, but the creation of a whole new world outside of default Skyrim isn't too difficult, especially if you use prefab objects. I'd imagine judging by the description, it will play out a lot like Enderal and Nehrim, the German total conversions that were also "inspired" by Gothic.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Gothic barely qualifies as an RPG to begin with.
bethestard.png

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It's not clunky at all if you spend two hours and get used to it. There are other games you can play for years and still feel the controls suck balls (eg. DF). Gothic is not one of those games.

Buuuut.... it is. I played it like what 5 or 6 hours three years ago. Uninstalled and never looked back. It such a regret that Gothic 1 and 2 might be some of Codex preferred classics that I probably will never play not because actual game design related reason but because as an action RPG it is clunky like an ass.

Sjukob

Arcane
Can anybody explain to me what is clunky about gothic controls ? There is no delay to hero's movement, all animations are fast ( fuck you Elex ), the jump occurs right when you press the button and there is no lag in menus. Also there are barely any buttons you have to press.

The only thing I can think of is that rotating with mouse is low by default and LMB+W in GI is pretty dumb but there is patch to transfer GII controls. So what is the problem then ?

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Men the mod has terrible as fuck translation right now. Fair warning.

What is your justification for even giving it a go in the first place? I hardly think this will recreate the Gothic 1/2 experience.

Cael

Arcane
This takes raping good RPG's to a whole new level I didn't think possible.

It's like someone taking a glass of your favourite vintage whiskey, and trying to make it better by adding Rola Cola.
Wrong!

It was cherry cola in the whiskey.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Wanted that bitchin' paladin armour in Skyrim.

Skyrim and Fallout 4 make everything worse. This is a scientifically proven fact.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom