Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

4X Open Realms of Stars

Gostak

Educated
As mentioned here before but now I actually played it for once.

It's :incline:

To me it is better than MOO1/ Remnants of the Precursors.
I know some of you might think "sacrilegious" but it's got more and better.

And it allows for more movement/ exploring than MOO1 with its (mostly?) limiting radius-around-your-colonies ship travel range limits.

Also I saw no limit on ship designs, whee!
What's more you can have fighter bays which actually can hold other designs of yours from medium or small hull size.
Then the carrier gets good FTL drives while the fighters get exceptional combat movement.
Carry two or so around and the carrier can still pack a punch, too.

The elder race option is kickass as well (such races simply get some turns headstart, brilliant).

However, you might not want to go for "Normal" bots, these seemed to neglect growing their population in my first game.
Hence they were no real competition for me.

Short game did not help it either and I might have gotten a good/ lucky starting position and took a strong species/ government type combo which also helped.

Warning upgrading a ship on which you have a commander might kill that commander, I think.

The end game history reveal is cool as well, and ship design highscore for the session. :D

Banger!

Gostak

Educated
Okay, chill-time is over.

"Prepare to be nuked!"
Is all these nasty giant insect-alikes have to say to me upon first making contact hailing me.

Let's hope I will be able to hold these four-armed exoskeleton radioactivity enjoying freaks
off with my puny orbitals long enough to pump out some actual military ships.

Got a big scientific advantage, so I should be okay.

I wonder where they are, let me just quickly reply the only way I can:
"Prepare [to] feel the wrath of us!"

I'm spread over six planets and may soon be able to build my own artificial one(s).

This is gonna be messy!

Gostak

Educated
Hmm, with the last post and this continuation this may well get moved to the playground.

Year 2580
180 years since my species started exploring the systems in what feels like some endless space still with
ten other species out there, too.

Every 20 years the GBCN (Galactic Broadcasting News Company) gives a report (with unreliably military power statistics because
you can pay them to lie about it within certain bounds).
This report we finally rose above all in an overall points assessment.

Still at war with the nukie-buggos but they proved to be toothless dogs, we're about to snazz their homeworld which we just cleared and
the newly built colony ship will soon depart to bring some culture to that planet.
Fun fact by now they regularly ask if I want peace but when I decline and offer it for some price that'd suit me they also decline.
I guess their people are as war weary as mine, but I have more so I can afford to have some slack off as artists. :p

Already grabbed another homeworld planet (of some ancient robot dudes that had a 40 year headstart on us) because they did not
like us defending our turf when they flew through our space during peace with some military ship that I decided to attack instead of ask
to remove (if you do not want war, ask to remove instead, I learned that this way).
Have two espionage ships in their space and can see the whereabouts of all their ships currently.

Was fun getting that planet, they were just about to host a galactic olympics there which some turns later I got to host there instead.
Thanks to this event I now also have an idea about where each of the other species hangs out (star/star system).

Technological superiority and spy missions helped a great deal.

Still have not begun to build an artificial planet but recently finished building the sixth "United Galaxy Tower" which makes other spacefaring species respect me more
and with a sixth one (one per planet; nobody else has one of 'em but me yet - meanwhile on one of my by now ten planets a seventh one will get finished in 14 years at the latest) I can start calling for galactic votes.
My first one is "Shall radioactive bombs get banned", everyone is getting 50 years to vote. I already put my vote of "yes" in, but I do not really care.
Then I think I will have to ask for another non-game deciding vote but after that there shall be the one that might make us ruler.

Only the other ancient race, a borg like species and some metal eating slug like dudes are holding 8 planets each (next in line only 4).
These rival me in population but are a little bit behind.
The borg also hold two other homeworlds next to their own, as I shall soon, too.
The borgs also lead in military mass but currently I have no reason to fear them, they'd first have to show up near me and they are at war with three others among them the slugs.

For quite some while I know about three other uncolonized planets but they are small and badly radiated so not worth it up till now.

I bought two artifacts from pirates that got close to me, quite funny that.
One's already researched now and yielded some faster research in the hulls category which I have nearly researched to the max like all the other categories.

I expect more smooth sailing.
Woe onto the species that will not promise to vote for us as galactic rulers.
But I think by that time I will have won some other way.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom