Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Progress Of trenchcoats, vampire and auto-aim: Let's play Nocturne

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
face-stranger.jpg
No! I must kill the demons!

face-killian.jpg
No, Stranger. You are the demons.

And then Stranger was zombie

lightbane

Arcane
Poor Skyway...I mean Stranger can't catch a break. No wonder he's always angry.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Darth Roxor said:
And then Stranger was zombie

Sorry to disappoint you bro but Stranger was just incapacitated, not killed. He's too tough mofo to get rid of so easily.

Commissar Draco said:
Shame they insisted on using 3D; game unlike handdrawed adventure games from the same period looks like shit now

Nocturne is not really an adventure. It's closer to AitD/RE and this kind of games was at least partly 3D since its very inception. Nocturne was initially conceived as first person shooter, but Terminal Reality went with fixed camera for more cinematic presentation (R00fles!!!) and performance reasons.

Twinkle

Liturgist
PART 2 - ENEMY OF MY ENEMY

Stranger wakes up in a dark, damp cell with walls and floor covered with dried blood. He's not the only living thing there - an angry, hungry werewolf with glowing eyes is confined there too, tied to a leash. There seems to be no visible escape.

no15-01.jpg

A circle-shaped amulet attracts Stranger's attention.

no15-02.jpg

no15-03.jpg

Moloch was one of the Spookhouse's best operatives. Being a demon expelled from Hell he was an invaluable asset in fighting, well, extraplanar monsters.

Nevertheless, there is no time to waste. Poking around walls of the cell Stranger discovers a false panel.

no15-04.jpg

Seems that werewolf was there to tease and scare unfortunate captives rather than kill them. Stranger runs past zombies that drop from ceiling for now he has no means to defend himself even against such weak opponents.

no15-05.jpg

Soon Stranger finds a statue holding two melee weapons. There is a circle-shaped cavity on its chest, which looks like a perfect fit from Moloch's amulet.

no15-06.jpg

no15-07.jpg

Stranger grabs crescent-shaped spear. No he can fight back anything. He tries to explore two nearby rooms.

no15-08.jpg

One contains two automatic (!) turrets that eviscerate anything that moves. Better just avoid them.

no15-09.jpg

The other room with checkered floor is rigged with mines. Here you can all that remains from a stupid zombie who stepped on one of them.

no15-10.jpg

It's meant to be a trial-and-error puzzle but with careful observation one thing becomes noticeable: just don't step on tile covered with copyous amounts of blood.

A few zig-zag motions.

no15-11.jpg

no15-12.jpg

no15-13.jpg

Now it gets risky. One careful jump and one more step and death trap is left behind.

no15-14.jpg

no15-15.jpg

Stranger opens a door, but the doorway is walled up. It's a common theme across the estate. I guess it shows that the owner went full nuts long ago.

no15-16.jpg

Zombies at varying states of decomposition roam the corridors. Former servants?

no15-17.jpg

Stranger turns on lights.

no15-18.jpg

no15-19.jpg

no15-20.jpg

no15-21.jpg

Stranger finds an elevator and opens doors. Except there is no actual elevator there. It is suggested to make a leap of faith on the other side but I will delay this moment as long as I can. Back to main corridor.

no15-22.jpg

no15-23.jpg

These insectoid creatures from that mine in Texas are here too.

no15-24.jpg

Killian practiced extreme methods of torture as well. But on the positive side there is a secret passage behind blood-stained spikes.

no15-25.jpg

no15-25.jpg

no15-27.jpg

The same thing with walled up doorways.

no15-28.jpg

Giant bat-creatures from castle Gaustadt are there too. It's safe to say that the estate contains all monsters Stranger fought in previous acts, but the only and extremely welcome exception of frankenmobs with tommyguns.

no15-29.jpg

Touching a painting depicting some daemonette reveals another passageway.

no15-30.jpg

A breath of fresh air. And a treacherous fall if one missteps.

no15-31.jpg

no15-32.jpg

First victory: I reached Killian's library. He addresses Stranger over the intercom.

no15-33.jpg

face-batman.jpg
It's gonna take a superman to sweep me off my feet.

face-killian.jpg
What do you think of me now, Stranger? Am I crazy? No, I'm not crazy! I'm not the one who works alongside monsters. Did it anger you to find your fellow operative's emaciated corpse? Were you enraged, monster-lover, to find nothing left but a corpse? I made this place to kill and torture monsters because they deserve no less.

face-stranger.jpg
Monster lover?

face-killian.jpg
And you are here because you are no better. You are here to die, Stranger. Know whom I admire, Stranger? Harry Houdini. An unparalleled master of escape. Would that I could put him through my maze... If you hope to ever escape alive, I suggest you look him up.

Just as he finishes talking one bookshelf falls and a werewolf leaps to grab Stranger. Taking him with melee weapon is tricky but doable.

no15-34.jpg

no15-35.jpg

Stranger checks other bookshelves.

no15-36.jpg

Solution must be elsewhere. Moving on.

no15-37.jpg

no15-38.jpg

A-ha. A poster on the wall with Houdini's face on it. After moving it further progress is possible.

no15-39.jpg

Stranger reaches the backstage of this monster show. He can scout rooms by looking through peepholes.

no15-40.jpg

no15-41.jpg

no15-42.jpg

no15-43.jpg

This is interesting. Damsel in a distress waiting for a hero to rescue her. No way to reach her now, though.

no15-44.jpg

Another leap of faith jump made harder by fucked up perspective.

no15-45.jpg

no15-46.jpg

Phew.

no15-47.jpg

face-killian.jpg
I'm keeping tabs on our little game. I have sensors attached to every doorway in this mansion. I know when you enter and when you leave. You know, you're much closer to me than you probably imagine. I'm directly below you in the ballroom. Come and get me now, If you like, though I wouldn't recommend it. In the meantime, I'll be down here watching as you pick that book.

Stranger shatters gargoyles and turns on ancient record player. The music is godawful: it's like slowed down wolf howling played backwards. Pretty creepy stuff if you ask me. Nevertheless I leave it on to ease navigation.

no15-48.jpg

Stranger picks the book Killian mentioned. Amazingly, it wasn't another death trap.

no15-49.jpg

no15-50.jpg

Stranger backtracks to the library...

no15-51.jpg

...and puts the book on the bookshelf.

no15-52.jpg

Bingo! Now inner library is open for exploration. Killian was nice enough to place Stranger's guns inside.

no15-53.jpg

And a monster to try them on.

no15-54.jpg

Stranger descends using the staircase.

no15-55.jpg

Nice shortcut.

no15-56.jpg

He grabs a book and a key from a separate bookshelf.

no15-57.jpg

no15-58.jpg

Time to wage destruction on the first floor.

no15-59.jpg

Killian hosted a harem of vampire brides as well. What a perv.

no15-60.jpg

no15-61.jpg

The entrance hall. Of course the front door is shut tight.

no15-62.jpg

Stranger finishes off remaining brides and grabs some silver bullets.

no15-63.jpg

no15-64.jpg

no15-65.jpg

There is no such thing as too many health packs.

no15-66.jpg

no15-67.jpg

Stranger uses a key to open the door near Houdini poster.

no15-68.jpg

A dumbwaiter. Now Stranger can descend into the dungeon.

no15-69.jpg

no15-70.jpg

Poll with green liquid and fat grubs. Good thing is they they are shut behind the grating. Now need to lower, Stranger lacks explosives to deal with them quickly and too low on conventional ammo.

no15-71.jpg

Moving on. A pack of werewolves. I guess that's what silver bullets were placed for.

no15-72.jpg

Another key near a pile of bodies.

no15-73.jpg

no15-74.jpg

Stranger reaches baddie's lab but I must finish for now. The post is too big as is. Stay tuned for more.

no15-75.jpg

Twinkle

Liturgist
PART 3 - ENEMY OF MY ENEMY (continued)

OK, let's grab this key.

no16-01.jpg

Meh, this guy is one hell of a sadist.

no16-02.jpg

Locked, ugh.

no16-03.jpg

So the bedroom key will unlock the room with that chained beauty. Let's go.

no16-04.jpg

no16-05.jpg

Blargh. Using 10 polygons for sex appeal provokes entirely opposite result.

no16-06.jpg

If you look at the mirror you'll notice how this thing looks like in reality.

no16-07.jpg

Instead of helping her Stranger just turns off the lights.

no16-08.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
That's the point. I don't have time for your distractions, succubus.

Stranger grabs elevator control panel from the dresser and just walks away. Even if you don't turn off the lights Stranger's behavior won't be any different. And if for some stupid reason you set her free Stranger will raise guns and fight her like any other monster. Succubus's charms don't work on Stranger, at all. :salute:

no16-09.jpg

Now it's time to put this control panel to use.

no16-10.jpg

Fuck me, jumping across elevator shafts again.

no16-11.jpg

And a round of congratulations from the man himself.

no16-12.jpg

face-killian.jpg
In case you don't make it through all my traps, I wanted to take this opportunity to say what a pleasure it has been putting you through my maze.

Come at me!

no16-13.jpg

Nice! More weapons to add to Stranger's arsenal : a shotgun and a crossbow.

no16-14.jpg

no16-15.jpg

This shelf can be pushed around... and lookie here - another elevator?

no16-16.jpg

Whoa bro, ease off! I don't need no hugging!

no16-17.jpg

no16-18.jpg

Stranger descends to the first floor.

no16-19.jpg

no16-20.jpg

no16-21.jpg

Trapped rugs are for undead plebes, real men using tables for their walking needs.

no16-22.jpg

And Stranger reached the ballroom. Killian's claims about being there were, of course, lies for there was nothing in the room but packs of hungry monsters.

no16-23.jpg

no16-24.jpg

no16-25.jpg

Clock room? I need to backtrack to the very beginning.

no16-26.jpg

And naturally way back isn't safe.

no16-27.jpg

I save my ammunition and just kite monsters into narrow doorways where their numerical advantage gets useless.

no16-28.jpg

Grrrr.... Geronimo!

no16-29.jpg

After dispatching of undead welcoming committee Stranger enters the clock room.

no16-30.jpg

no16-31.jpg

no16-32.jpg

no16-33.jpg

no16-34.jpg

The puzzle itself is pretty cool in my opinion. You have:

-one rotating mirror

-two light beams that can change position and color

The task is to open a door at 12 o'clock, under purple gem. To achieve this you need to have both red and blue light beams pointed at it.
I am too far from it, though. The more immediate concern is that

no16-35.jpg

by reflecting a light beam to a gem under any door you force it to move to adjacent doorway when possible and it swaps the current "active" light gem.
We need doors at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock open in order to reach our goal.

no16-36.jpg

no16-37.jpg

no16-38.jpg

Opening a door at 1 o'clock raised a small mirror. I'm on the right track.

no16-39.jpg

no16-40.jpg

no16-41.jpg

Almost there. Now to alight beams with pixel-perfect precision.

no16-42.jpg

Bingo!

no16-43.jpg

no16-44.jpg

face-killian.jpg
You've done well so far. But there's a trap that will require both body and mind to solve. Enjoy!

Well this one is dogshit. It's all about running around hitting spacebar near levers and hoping that it will work. Good and shit content going hand to hand: that's Nocturne for you.

no16-45.jpg

If Stranger pulls a lever successfully a segment of will extrude allowing Stranger to climb on it. Need to repeat this will all levers to evade being squashed.

no16-46.jpg

no16-47.jpg

no16-48.jpg

no16-49.jpg

no16-50.jpg

Done and dusted.

no16-51.jpg

The new obstacle is a grid with burst of flames appearing at regular intervals. Easily beaten with a few well-planned jumps.

no16-52.jpg

no16-53.jpg

no16-54.jpg

If Stranger tries to grab this key it falls all the way down to the Ball Room on the first floor. There is a way to avoid this if you position Stranger porperly before grabbing attempt but no matter what you'll still have to climb down so whatever.

no16-55.jpg

no16-56.jpg

Another key, yay. As you may notice the "rug" is not what it seems and conceals the ladder that leads downstairs.

no16-57.jpg

no16-58.jpg

There Stranger puts down the remnants of vampire brides.

no16-59.jpg

no16-60.jpg

no16-61.jpg

So, ballroom. If you can spot a key on this screenshot - my congratulations at your expert pixel hunting skills.

no16-62.jpg

no16-63.jpg

Demon door? Need to backtrack, again...

no16-64.jpg

no16-65.jpg

Inside there is a summoning circle and a box of matches.

no16-66.jpg

no16-67.jpg

no16-68.jpg

Down to the dungeon.

no16-69.jpg

And Killian's "lab"

no16-70.jpg

Use the matches and let this one burn.

no16-71.jpg

So Stranger enters some sort of prison.

no16-72.jpg

Stranger pulls all available levers.

no16-73.jpg

no16-74.jpg

Nice. Maybe Stranger finally found an exit? He pushes loose bricks with his shoulder.

no16-75.jpg

Uh, surprise.

no16-76.jpg

face-moloch.jpg
Stranger?

face-stranger.jpg
Moloch?

face-moloch.jpg
I thought I would rot here for decades before seeing another Spookhouse agent.

face-stranger.jpg
There was a corpse in the cell upstairs. It looked like you.

face-moloch.jpg
It was my doppelganger. Killian intercepted me on my way to Strasbourg and threw me into this little rat-maze of his. I concocted a double of myself to use as a decoy. I nearly escaped, but he caught me and dropped me into this icy pit.

face-stranger.jpg
Why hasn't he killed you?

face-moloch.jpg
Ha! That is beyond his power. How can he kill someone who has been expelled from both Heaven and Hell? He took full advantage of my immortality. He gets perverse joy from putting me through this rat-maze. I'm his first test subject that can't be completely killed by his traps. I've been through this maze seventeen times. Twice I've almost escaped. Once I was within reach of the villain himself, and had I more strength, I would have eviscerated him on the spot. Stranger, you must free me. With my help, you can escape this place, and I can exact my revenge on that villain. Break the circle that contains me.

face-stranger.jpg
Accept my help, not as a personal favor, but as an obligation to Spookhouse.

After a moment of contemplation Stranger breaks the said seals.

no16-77.jpg

face-moloch.jpg
Ahh! Thank you, Stranger. Already I can feel my strength returning. But the cold here is unbearable. Killian knows that I take my strength from heat and fire. Find some means by which my dark soul can be warmed.

Even in weakened state after leaving his icy prison Moloch is already a first-grade mofo. He demonstrates his fiery powers by exploding all the other monstrous "prisoners" behind the bars.

no16-78.jpg

Gridiron is useless to Stranger but the demon is delighted to see it.

no16-79.jpg

face-moloch.jpg
While the fire fuels me, I need the energy found only in living blood...

no16-80.jpg

Well Stranger bro, there's a serious that your dual peashooters could carve a dent in devil's skin.

But the demon just chuckles in response.

face-moloch.jpg
No, not you. I doubt your little body would begin to satisfy my thirst. There are creatures throughout this mansion. Have you seen any nearby?

Green pool with fat grubs nearby will suit his needs just fine.

no16-81.jpg

no16-82.jpg

Moloch is pleased.

face-moloch.jpg
Yes! You've saved us both, Stranger. I am at full strength. Meet me in Killian's control room on the third floor. The day of reckoning has arrived for Hamilton Killian.

no16-83.jpg

The beast jumps up the elevator shaft while Stranger has to use more conventional means.

Dumbwaiter can reach the third floor.

no16-84.jpg

Final fight with horde of demons that wait for Stranger's arrival. No need to think about ammunition anymore.

no16-85.jpg

no16-86.jpg

no16-87.jpg

Normally this room is a deathtrap as it gets flooded the moment Stranger steps in. But not anymore.

no16-88.jpg

no16-89.jpg

Got you, sucker!

no16-90.jpg

face-moloch.jpg
If there's anything you want to say to this man, Stranger, say it now. He's on his way to a hell worse than the one that spawned me.

With uttering a single word Stranger turns his back and walks away.

no16-91.jpg

face-killian.jpg
Stranger? Wait, come back! Aren't you going to help me?

No response.

Stranger continues his walk as Killian's screams and sounds of tearing flesh echo throughout the mansion.

no16-92.jpg

no16-93.jpg

Back at the Spookhouse.

no16-94.jpg

face-colonel.jpg
He was good man at one time... And a good friend. I'm proud of you, Stranger. You put aside your dislike for Moloch, and because of that, two of Spookhouse's best operatives are alive and well.

face-stranger.jpg
Make no mistake, Colonel. I freed Moloch solely for my benefit. Killian had no intention of releasing me, even if I survived his little game. Moloch wasn't a part of Killian's master plan, so I made him part of mine. End of story.

face-colonel.jpg
Your motives are your own, Stranger. But you've served this agency well. Good work. And more important than that, Stranger, you've proven yourself capable of working with our agents, even those who are monstrous.

face-colonel.jpg
I'll be honest with you, Stranger. I've been concerned of late. I saw you becoming a young Hamilton Killian. He was a good friend, but the monster that he became... I hope that you will not follow the same path.

no16-95.jpg

END OF ACT 4.

But not the end of line, yet. There is still a short epilogue left.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
face-stranger.jpg
No! I must kill the Killians!

face-colonel.jpg
No, Stranger. You are the Killians.

And then Stranger was Hamilton.

lightbane

Arcane
Awesome as always :incline: Keep going, mister.

PS: You know, I understand the idea of having a vampire as an operative, but isn't that demon a little too obvious for a secret agency?

Twinkle

Liturgist
but isn't that demon a little too obvious for a secret agency

Manual states he was unleashed only in non-urban environments. That's probably why Stranger was considered the best operative despite Moloch being much stronger and practically unkillable: you can't send a demon roam around large human settlements.

So can you actually opt to side against Moloch at the end there?

No, it's a cutscene (note black bars). I honestly can't think of a single reason to help him. He crossed the line the moment he started using fellow agents as test subjects.

EPILOGUE

Spookhouse HQ, Unknown location, 1942

no17-01.jpg

Knock-knock! Wait, why is it open...

no17-02.jpg

Mein gott, something tore stupid girl apart. That stupid game with passphrases led nowhere just as Stranger predicted.

no17-03.jpg

no17-04.jpg

Stranger pushes the secret button himself.

no17-05.jpg

no17-06.jpg

It's dark upstairs.

no17-07.jpg

Stranger turns lights on...

no17-08.jpg

Wow, more torn limbs! Even Spookhouse operatives couldn't resist that unknown force.

no17-09.jpg

It's hard to be 100% sure but I think it was Icepick.

no17-10.jpg

No need to repeat, Strangebro.

no17-11.jpg

Shit.

no17-12.jpg

OK, now let's check Doc Hollyday's lab.

no17-13.jpg

face-stranger.jpg
The computer's thrashed.

I don't expect to find the colonel alive, even if briefing room door is locked.

no17-14.jpg

Ouch! Rest in peace, Colonel. :salute:

no17-15.jpg

no17-16.jpg

no17-17.jpg

...or rather not. With this grimdark twist Nocturne ends for good. Honestly, I have absolutely no idea who's behind the massacre. I highly doubt Spookhouse agents couldn't handle regular suspects like undead, vampires or werewolves and it definitely weren't humans. Even though Terminal Reality is still active and demonstrated some interest in making a sequel as this 3yo render proves it didn't really go anywhere.

infernal_engine_15404.jpg

Whatever happens, I hope we'll meet again, Stranger.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
:salute:

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea who's behind the massacre.

Spookhouse HQ, Unknown location, 1942

AUGMENTED NAZIS???!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

I guess it could be a build up to Bloodrayne, starring Stranger or something. But eh, I dunno :(

Whatever happens, I hope we'll meet again, Stranger.

He appears again in Blair Witch Project volume 1 :M

lightbane

Arcane
That's it??? Shitty cliffhanger is shitty :decline: Good LP though, too bad games like this are no longer possible...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Thanks for this LP twiknle !

That was a crappy cliffhanger though. I don't mind designers giving a little nudge in the end for a sequel, but this massacre here was over the line.

PS: It's funny how the succubus wears a bikini top but no bottom :lol:

no16-06.jpg

screwed up censoring values FTW.

CappenVarra

phase-based phantasmist
Patron
A mountain was in labour, and the people of seven cities had assembled to watch its movements and hear its groans. While they waited in breathless expectancy out came a Mouse.

:mystary:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
ffffffffffff that ending :rage:

Thanks for the LP, Twinkle. It was a lot of fun. Probably more fun to read than to play, haha :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom