Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

nt

rhysling

Novice
delete

xemous

Arcane
is it suitible for players that dont want to group to gain exp
and would rather solo for xp
and group just for fun, without regard to xp, instead of being forced to group

and is the combat fun

try at around lvl 30-40, is it still fun churning through the same monsters for days to gain a level

Astromarine

Erudite
that's the point, you aren't supposed to need churning through the same monsters for days. I don't know how well it's pulled off, but regardless of balance and similar concepts, which if you see Exitium's threads are not so good anymore, the content in the game is supposedly top notch. I'm guessing that in the endgame this will be as true as in newbieland and mid-levels

xemous

Arcane
thats the point
i did enjoy diablo because killing monsters was fun , but it wasnt all for just upgrading my charactor, that was fun also
but to see what would happen next in the story, and to affect npc responses

if wow has an engaging story, and multiple ways to enhance a charactor, all driven by story and meaningfull quests, i would try it out

i would like to forget my exp bar whilst playing and be engaged in a story

but at the same time, at the 'hell levels' i would like to upgrade my charactor and see a different, and meaningfull one that affects the game, instead just 1 lvl after 4 days of grinding

nothing has this atm, so im not to keen on mmog that play out in this way

Sol Invictus

Erudite
As promised here is my response. I'll make it short:

WoW has a lot of good things going for it, notably how alive the world feels, the abundance of npcs and good mini-storylines pertaining to quests, unique detail of the world, dungeons, GUI and controls.

But it also has a lot of bad things going for it, at least since the last 3 patches. Classes have been more or less pigeonholed into playing a specific style and many of the talents have been rendered useless. Nobody wants a Priest on their team who specializes in Shadow magic. All they want is a priest who can heal and buff. Since you don't generate mana while in combat anymore it all comes down to a game of conserving mana and not using any of your other abilities. A priest has to save all of his mana just to heal people.

Hybrid classes are useless in instances, because nobody wants to party up with a class that's only half as good as everything else. A druid is nowhere as useful as a Priest in terms of raw healing power, for example. A druid might be able to tank but who needs him when there are Warriors about?

The crafting system is utterly basic, and useless. You can get better items from simply doing quests and killing instance bosses.

The group size worked perfectly a while back, but it does not work so well these days because of how difficult instance dungeons are. You can only enter with a group of 5 and all of the dungeons are way too difficult since the recent patches so what people do is they exploit the Warlock's ability to summon people into the dungeon. As a result you have 15 people in a dungeon inside a dungeon made for only 5 and this makes the game way too easy - but it's necessary, because nobody wants to spend 3 minutes on each monster and rest for another 3 minutes. These monsters also respawn, so it's a pain in the ass.

The late-area quests really suck. They involve running around all over the world for really shitty rewards. The person who designed them is the leader of an EQ guild called Fires of Heaven and is responsible for dreck like the EQ expansions.

Every class in WoW can kill monsters a couple of levels above them. Even the healers can solo. Downtime can be reduced by purchasing food and drink, which rapidly increases your health and mana provided you are sitting down. The Mage can create his own food and drink.
Not anymore. Downtime takes too long and you'll find yourself running away if you ever encounter more than a single monster of your level.

PVP in WoW is utter garbage, not that other games have done it better. I'll just wait for Arena Wars which has group-PVP missions and stuff like Capture the Flag and King of the Hill game modes. WoW and all other mmorpgs can go fuck themselves.

p.s. the following classes are completely useless:
Warlock, Druid, Hunter

Warlock's pets don't do jack shit and his debuffs/DOTs are utterly worthless. Why bother with a DOT when a Rogue and Mage can kill something in 1/20th of the time he'll take? Pets? Haha. Just send a warrior in front to tank. All pets do is pull unnecessary agro in confined spaces. This goes for both the Hunter and the Warlock. The hunter's pets are so weak, even compared to untamed animals. Send a level 10 pet against a level 5 creep. Guess who will win.

Anonymous

Re: DAOC compared to WoW

Hello WoW haters, here is an article I wrote comparing DAOC to WOW. The original can be found here: http://wow.dungeons.ws/?page=WoW+Compared+To+DAOC

Yay, a free handjob to WoW by someone who knows shit about DAoC. I've been playing DAoC for almost 3 years now so I know it quite well.

A large part of the graphics is again the attention to the details. Merchants in DAOC tend to stand in empty rooms with not even a picture on the wall. You can tell not much thought was put into it. In WOW every area has details. For instance, there might be rugs on the floors, art and trophies on the wall, and a project the NPC is working on. After a while you will notice that a lot of WOW is cloned, e.g. identical buildings, but still a lot of it is custom made, like the cities.

Hurrah, apparently he's never even been to the large cities before. Go look at Hibernia's Tir Na Nog, the only towns with plain merchants are usually the tiny backwater ones, usually newbie towns.

WOW has 9 classes. This allowed Blizzard to spend more time on each class than Mythic could. Just as in Diablo each class has unique abilities and plays slightly differently.

Compare this to DAOC which currently has about 40 classes, with six new ones in the works for Catacombs. With so many classes its hard to give them all something unique.

Not really, the game is split into 3 realms, with about 15ish per realm. One thing i've always liked about DAoC is that all the classes are very unique, the only really similiarities are basic things like heavy melee, pure spell caster, etc. to give that role to each realm, but even then things are pretty different. an example is the Shrouded Isles mage classes, Animist, Necromancer and Bonedancer. They have pets and lifetaps, but are all different. The Animist creates turrent pets and also summons pets that run to enemies and explode, along with shields and lifetaps. The Necromancer has a pet, but it's not the usual pet thing, when he creates his pet he becomes an invincible shade and casts his spells through the pet, but if the pet dies, he becomes very weak and easy to kill, he has powerful lifetaps and other spells. Then the Bonedancer summons a pack of skeletons to help him, one being a melee commander and usually has healer pets with the commander, along with getting instant lifetaps and then stacking DOTs, which were missing from Midgard.

THEN to emphasis that more, there is anything from 3 to 5 different specs for each class, meaning 3 of a class usually arnt the same. Especially so for spellcasters, the Runemaster class has Darkness, Suppression and Runecarving lines to spend skill points in, Darkness is about cold damage, heavy damage direct damage spells and comes with a debuff AOE, debuff and damage add to give to allies so it's focused on offensive, Suppression's main ability is casting shields on your friends, it'll continually cast a hit blocking shield every few seconds at it's highest, along with getting snares and nearsight so it's focused on defensive, then Runecarving has 3 bolts an average aoe and dd, but also a ground target aoe, where the caster sets a target on the ground and everyone around it gets hit by the aoe when he casts it (and he doesnt need to see the target, unlike normal targetting), along with getting debuffs, so Runecarving's focus is to have something for alot of situations.

The Quantity vs Quality theme appears again in the world design. DAOC has vast tracts of nothingness punctuated by random structures. There are parts of the game world that its rare to see people in, because there is really nothing worth going there for. In WOW everywhere you turn you discover something. The WOW world may be smaller than DAOC, but it is more interesting. The locations seem to have a purpose.

This is a pretty big lie, the only empty areas are the big forests and some roads between towns, but even then they have their own special look and feel along with having monsters for people moving around to kill if they want. The Shrouded Isles zones are very cool and Trials of Atlantis even more so.

The theme shows up in item design as well. Consider the names of the weapons. You have the mace and then the 10 versions of the mace made from different materials. Diamond mace, Admantine mace, etc. In WOW they take the time to come up with unique names for each item.

Now you can see how little he really knows, they arnt '10 versions of 1 mace', they are different grades of mace, and as an added bonus to not knowing anything, Diamond grade is only in Hibernia, Admantium is only in Midgard and maces are only really in Albion. And those are just plain items, with no magical properties. Tons of items in DAoC have unique names, with the random items having randomized special names that reflect what the item does.

In DAOC when you went to a dungeon there was really no purpose, other than it had the right level of monsters that you wanted to kill. In WOW each dungeon has a theme, and you either need to go explore it, or recover some items by killing a monster or finding an object. Since you are there for a goal this changes your playing style. In DAOC you would go find a place in the dungeon with a good spawn. In WOW you tend to fight your way in, run around for a while, then fight out.

Again, only really do the newbie areas have dungeons like that in DAoC, maybe he should get up in levels and go to the Trials of Atlantis zones or the Shrouded Isles dungeons. Hanging around the level 10 dungeon in the old world isnt exactly a great way to judge all the dungeons in the game. And if you want goals, thats what the quests are for and alot involve dungeons.

A lot of this depends on your playing style. My friend (Haps) hates quests. I assure you that you don't need to do any quests if you don't want to. But if your going to a place to kill monsters anyway, why not get the quest for the bonus XP and the items. Its not like the DAOC system where you get the quest in one town and you have to travel far away to do the quest.

Yet again, another newbie thing. Those quests are to help new players learn the areas almost always, as you get higher in level the quests are less like that and alot cooler and even lately the lower level ones have been shifting toward their new design in quests (which is alot better, I think, a large improvement to when DAoC first came out).

WOW lets you create your own private version of a dungeon. These dungeons are available starting around level 20. This allows you to take a group into a Dungeon and clear it. There are bosses at the end which drop good loot.

Whoopie-doo, it's going into DAoC in the next expansion, and will be available for all levels and possibly even for Realm vs. Realm warfare, so you can level without having to see another person if you wish.

DAOC has more character customization. WOW is missing the ability to make tall and short versions of characters. Also, I did not find a way to dye your cloths. Blizzard may do more in this area after release.

Just wait until the next DAoC expansion which gives shitloads of character options, WoW will get owned again. And they are constantly adding new dyes and recently added them for weapons. Along with players being able to make their own dyes and stuff if they want.

A DAOC character has a 40 slot backpack and has a vault which can hold another 40 items. There is no way to increase your personal inventory. You can add more personal vault space if you purchase a house and add a vault, but it can only be accessed at your house. Houses are rather expensive, and additionally require a monthly rent which must be delivered in person to the house. This means that if you don't play DAOC for a month your house may disappear!

More lies. You get a vault for free, Vault Keepers are in most big towns in the old world and pretty much every town in the expansion towns. Houses just give you a house vault if you wish, which allows you to store items and then retrive them with another character (like say if it's your guild house and you found a newbie item, you can leave it there for someone lower than you to get). Houses arnt that expensive if you dont go for flashy shit and you can also have a Vault Keeper there too. they dont require monthly rent, the rent is every week, and you can store payments in the house if you arnt going to be playing for awhile, so you dont have to play for a full month. I havent played in about 5 months, but I still have my house since people have been refilling the rent box for me.

The major cities in WoW have Banks. At the Bank you can access your personal vault. I don't have the firm details on the amount of slots, but you can get a rough idea by looking at[this page]. The nice part about the bank is that any bank you visit has all your items. There is no need to transfer from your personal vault to your house vault.[/quote

Yeah, DAoC is like this, but house vaults are entirely different things. Also bags suck.

In DAOC is is impossible to trade equipment to another character on the same account unless you use another account. In WoW you can use the Mail system to transfer gold and equipment to your other characters.

House vault, have a friend hold it, etc. I have never had a second account and have done this very often (as I have a money-maker character on my same account).

The personal vault space in DAOC is too small. The only way to get more space is to buy a house. Unfortunately, houses are a pain in the ass because you have to pay a monthly rent. The only way to pay the rent is to visit the house. If you don't play for a month, good bye house! Oddly enough its cheaper to buy TWO houses than it is to buy a house that can fit two vaults. If you do this then your responsible for two houses. Recently I let my houses lapse, and I've never felt better!

The bank system in WoW is very conveinient. You start with one page of vault space. Then you pay to add more vault space. I'm not sure what the limit is. You can access the bank at any of the major cities.

DAoC has two pages of vault space. Again, the monthy rent thing is wrong and you dont really have to visit your house, just have to be in the area and use a / command. Also, with all the teleporters made to make it easy to get there, it's not too bad. And whatever retard wrote this, you can have multiple house vaults in your house, you dont need 2. If there isnt enough room for more vaults, you can just upgrade the damn house.

The DAOC chat system leaves a lot to be desired. There have been improvements, such as public chat groups, but there is still no way to create a private chat group. Lack of chat options causes a lot of trouble in alliance politics. Some people feel that the alliance chat should be quiet except for important news. Others would like to chat in alliance chat and get to know the other alliance members.

What the fuck? Yes you can set a chatgroup or battlegroup to be private. Apparently reading the manual is too hard for this guy.

In WoW you can have 10 chat channels open at once. The first four are used by the game. This leaves six channels. So if you were to type "/join mychannel" then this would join chat channel 5. You talk on this channel by typeing "/5 message". Very simple.
DAoC has even more channels and has similiar commands, wooboy.

Healer's in WoW play a more active role in groups than in DAOC. They all have offensive spells and weapons.

Hahaha, that's just so wrong it's hilarious. the Healer class in Midgard can defeat heavy tanks if played right and is one of the most important classes to have with you when you head out to fight.

Warlock - The Warlock is a mage with a pet. It plays similar to an Enchanter. The Warlock can cast damage over time spells.

Wrong. The Enchanter has a pet and casts strong PBAOE spells, the Cabalist is the one that has a pet and casts DOT spells, and is alot more effective than the Warlock. Nice job at knowing nothing.

Druid - There is nothing in DAOC that really compares to the WoW Druid. This class can heal, cast DD spells, and melee. The Druid can Shapeshift into Bear and Cat form. In Cat form the Druid has stealth.

Oh boy. the DAoC Druid can do all that (except shapeshifting) and more, roots, dots, heals, dds and instead of the dumbass shapeshifting (stealthing healer, what the fuck) they can summon pets to help them.

Warrior - The Warrior is your Hero. They can switch from a Defensive to an Offensive stance. This is different than DAOC where you had to spec either 2H for offense or 1H/Shield for defense.

Considering 1h/shield is great offensive and defensive, and 2H being pretty dumb, again this guy proves he knows nothing.

Rogue - Roughly equivalent to the Nightshade. The Rogue is a hand to hand stealther. The rogue builds up combo points to perform a finishing move.

Wrong again. The nightshade dual-wields daggers and can cast a few spells, it's not a stealth monk, it's a caster/assassin.

Shaman - The Shaman is a Horde only healer. They put down Totems which are essentially AE buffers/debuffers.

And DAoC's shaman kicks its ass, seriously. The Shaman in DAoC is one of the most fun classes i've played, can either be a mega healer, mega buffer or great damage caster.

I hear a lot in Dark Age of Camelot about how boring quests are. I've always felt the quests in DAOC were generated at random. For instance, in the epic quests you travel multiple times between the Bog of Cullen and Cursed Forest. This is the longest travelling distance in the game!

Like I said, they've improved the design of quests alot, which was the point of ToA, the epic quests wernt that great for high levels, so they just revamped how they do quests and added a bunch of good and fun ones in ToA for high level people who wanted to quest. Apparently this guy played to level 20 or so.

Each location in WoW has an associated quest with it.

Same with DAoC.

Its hard to compare the size of the worlds. They feel about the same size to me.

The difference is that most of the landscape in DAOC is just "there". There are these random towers and villages with no real story behind them. In WoW the environment is much better thought out. Each map area has at least a dozen special areas to visit with an associated quest.

Wrong again, try playing beyond the newbie zones. DAoC has a giant world, the old world, Shrouded Isles, then Trials of Atlantis. And almost every town has a story to it, just talk to NPCs and do quests to find out more, you idiot.

I think there is a philosophical difference between Mythic and Blizzard. The Mythic approach is to make an empty work and fill it with stuff. The Blizzard approach is to think of the stuff you want in the world, and form the world around it.

Then why does WoW copy so damn much, if they are GREAT THINKERS?

XPing in WoW is more dynamic. Often I find myself bored in DAOC. You find a spot in a dungeon with a good respawn rate, setup your fonts, and you stay there for hours. In WoW you are encouraged to move more.

Yeah, you can set up fonts and sit there, if you like shitty but easy XP. Apparently dumbass hasnt heard of the camp bonus in DAoC.

You should level faster in WOW than you did in DAOC. During the stress test people made it to 40 in two weeks.

Yeah, okay. XPing in DAoC is extremely fast, I got to 35 in just a few days, then 42 a few days after that. And now there is a system in DAoC where if you are having a hard time leveling, you can get a free level, lower populated realms get free levels more often, making the game extremely easy to level through.

Also, there is something called the Rest System. This means that if you stay on more than 8 hours you get an XP penality. On the other side of the coin, if you log out for 8hrs you will come back into the game as Rested. Being Rested confers a 200% XP bonus. This should give casual gamers a bonus.

Dumb, the camp bonus system in DAoC is alot better. Just move to a new camp and gain the bonus. Also keeps people from all hoarding the same spot and encourages moving out and around.

The death penalty in DAOC causes grief to the players. Nobody likes to die and lose XP when this means the next 15 minutes will be spent making it up.

You only lose XP dying to monsters, and the first 2 deaths are lesser in impact, so just dont die alot dumbass. Also, you can pray at your grave where you died and you get XP back.

Another good feature is that when you die you go to the CLOSEST graveyard to your body. In DAOC people would forget where they are bound and your group would have to wait a long time for you. In WOW the group can travel back together as ghosts.

Yeah, because people being retards and not binding when heading to a risk is a good excuse to fault something.

There will be two realms in WoW: the Alliance and the Horde. You will start in a safe zone in both the PvE and PvP servers. In the PvP server all the remaining areas are PvP enabled. In PvE all land is PvP disabled except some special zones.

One PvE servers the enemy can enter your land, but you must consent to be attacked.

When you engage in honorable PvP combat you are rewarded. This means that you are penalized for killing people significantly lower than you. You are also penalized for killing enemy merchant NPCs.

See the Articles section for a nice article on PvP.

Yeah, so it's just a really really shitty version of DAoC's combat, which is alot more dynamic, strategic and fun. And it has 3 realms. Check out the free Frontiers expansion for DAoC. DAoC's RvR combat cant even be matched by WoW now.

Crafting is extremely boring in DAOC and a ton of people macro for this reason. In WoW the focus is shifted to resource gathering. For instance, you learn mining and then go out and look for Copper Veins. Once you have the Copper you can make Copper Bars. Its extremely quick to turn copper ore into a bars, but it does require being at a Forge. Basically once you have the raw materials its easy to make the item. It will be a lot quicker to progress.

How is that better? You waste time hunting for resources and then the resources are worth more than the result item. DAoC you just buy the materials from the merchant and make your stuff the exact same way as WoW has it.

Until recently there were no maps in DAOC. Every area of WoW is going to have maps associated with it. There is also a minimap that helps you find the location of your comrades.

There have always been maps available for DAoC, idiot.

The quest interface is also very nice. When an NPC has a quest to give you, an icon is placed over their head that lets you know that you should talk to them. Their location is also showed on the minimap, so you don't have to search all over for them.

Yeah, because trying to find a big cyan name is hard to do.

Also in DAOC I always wondered what "Weapon Skill" was. In WoW they tell you exactly how much damage you will do. All the bars can show you exactly how much mana you have, etc.

Read the fucking manual, retard.

Another nice feature is click to move. Right click the ground and you will move there. You of course can still use the arrow keys.

Oh boy. If you read the manual you'd know there is a Mouse control option in DAoC.

n DAOC there are some classes, such as the Bard, who can't really play alone. As a Bard I had a hard time chaining blues!

You say LFG as a Bard in DAoC and people are all the fuck over you. If you cant solo, you're probably great with a group. Which gives better XP.

Also, Hunters get Aspect of the Pack at level 40 which increases speed for the group. This makes the Hunter like the Bard. A bard that doesn't have to carry a lute, that is!

So it's a copy of Midgard's Skald. Great.

The Druid in DAOC had to give out tons of buffs! Also this means that this deters buffbots, because in order to get all the buffs you'd need a bot from most of the classes.

OH NOES, you had to play your class!!11 And getting buffs from multiple classes is lame, just get a Druid or a Shaman and your group is good to go.

The WOW GUI is 1/2 of a generation ahead of DAOC. The WoW GUI is very pretty and is layed out well. There are less keys to use. There is an embedded LUA scripting language that lets people make very interesting stuff, almost to the point of making bots. A nice feature is that you can click your mouse at a location and you will move there. Some people don't like this, so you should know this feature is optional.

The LUA scripts are nice. You can customize a lot of the GUI. For instance you can make windows to display what quest items you need, you can display your dps.

DAoC already has this. Trials of Atlantis expansion.

WOW has a group size of 5. I think this good, because in groups of 8 its possible for a couple of people slack off or be AFK and not really notice it. Small groups make every group member more important.

So why not just invite only 5 people? Yay for being dumb.

In DAOC you have Horse Routes and Teleporters. In WOW you have Teleporters, Griffons, Zeppelins, and some other stuff. As in DAOC the cost for public transporation is minimal. One thing that is different is that you have to discover new routes in WOW. Quests may be involved.

Additionally, a Warlock may summon people to his location. A mage may open a portal to major towns. Also, Inns give out Hearthstones. You can use a hearthstone once per hour and it will take you back to the last inn you bound at. The Hunter gets a small speed bonus. The Shaman can turn into a wold with a 50% speed bonus. The druid can breath underwater and gains an underwater speed bonus.

All players get mounts at level 40 (i think) which increase their travel speed. Mounts are expensive, though. I believe the warlock can summon a mount.

You dont need mounts and goofy shit in DAoC since the horses and teleporters have a ton of options so travel is quick and easy.

In Conclusion, the guy who wrote this is a dumbass.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Druids and shamans do have talents. They're still not very useful. Why? Because nobody wants a half-assed healer/tank/scout on their Instance team. Why bother with any class other than the so-called holy trinity?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Well that's one of the thing that irritates me about WOW. It used to be pretty easy, not to mention fun to kill monsters on your own because you could kill ones several levels higher than you and not have to rest a lot. The ones which were a lot higher than you would pose a nice challenge, though. Nowadays, it's not possible to kill monsters 2 levels above you, because they will evade ALL your hits. And monsters your level are super tough to take on more than 1 at a time. Where's the fun in that?

Astromarine

Erudite
Dear God, Patrick, that was a lot of ownage.

Can you talk more about DaoC? I am getting a tad disillusioned with WoW (limiting Professions broke me) and I dunno how long I'll play EVE, so I'd lik to hear more about the game. Can you sell it to a newbie?

Anonymous

Maybe, I imagine the nice thing for alot of newbies is it's alot easier to get up in levels in DAoC now. There is a leveling system to where if you are alteast half of the level of the group leader, you get a combat and defense bonus, which allows a level 25 to group with a 50 with no real problem.

Also there are free levels, on most big servers it's a 7 day peroid, but the way it works is say you hit level 40, and you're working to 41 but it is tough and taking you a long time, if you take over 7 days to get to 41, once you get to 41 you get a free level and are 42. Servers with low populations get shorter periods, down to 2 days (to help population imbalances on some servers)

Also, lesser populated places get small coin and XP bonuses and bonuses for their Realm vs. Realm combat.

RvR in DaoC beats the shit out of WoW's PvP. You got 3 huge zones with 15 keeps in them for each realm and you got siege weapons and usually large forces alongside you and you go around having large keep battles, which are pretty fun. It's also easy getting around because if a keep has a straight line of keeps that belong to your realm going to the frontier gate, you can just teleport to that keep (even into other realms as a foothold).

Also, at lower levels, you can go to Battlegrounds which are like mini frontiers for different level sets, the nice thing about them now is that once you hit the Realm Point limit (You gain RPs from killing enemies) for that Battleground, you can still stay there, and they added and upped the XP you gain from killing enemies, staying there lets you hit the level limit for that BG, so you can level off player vs. player combat totally if you wish.

An exaple is I took my level 20 Shaman into the 20-24 battleground and I just killed guys and then around the time I hit my RP limit, I was level 23, then I stayed until 24 and then I could either go level off monsters or go to the next BG.

Then once you're into the really high levels, you can go full time RvR fighter, crafter or quester if you wish, or do combos of that. There is alot of support for Crafters (you can buy a house and use it as a shop, along with an NPC that'll sell your crafted items to players who can search for them), then for ToA you got a bunch of cool shit Player vs. Monster wise and cool quests and stuff, then of course the New Frontiers expansion was a huge upgrade for the warmonger types.

They are pretty good at balancing the game now (they used to be kinda timited about it before) and the classes are fun to play with.

Astromarine

Erudite
ok, let's try again. :)

My interest in PVP is limited at best. I suck at it, and dislike the coordination and guild requirements that this has. I can only play regularly for a couple hours some days.

I could give a flying fuck about how fast I level. I'm one of the apparently tiny minority for whom the point of a game is the journey, not the destination.

Soloing ability is a plus, or at least the frequency of pickup groups. How fun, interesting, and exciting the exploration, questing, and PvM aspects is what matters to me.

Crafting is cool. How do crafter items rank against drops? is there a big market? only for consumables or also for gear?

So, even though I appreciate what you told me, can you try to sell it to me again? btw, what are the expansions? how many?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
MMORPGs suck because the journey takes for-fucking-ever and is filled with the same monsters over and over again.

Anonymous

Astromarine said:
My interest in PVP is limited at best. I suck at it, and dislike the coordination and guild requirements that this has. I can only play regularly for a couple hours some days.

Yeah, i'm like that too, but it's still not too bad. my Guild I own and it's just me and 2 of my real-life friends.

I could give a flying fuck about how fast I level. I'm one of the apparently tiny minority for whom the point of a game is the journey, not the destination.

I'm kinda like that too, I dont really care about XP as long as I dont get bored. But it's still alright.

Soloing ability is a plus, or at least the frequency of pickup groups. How fun, interesting, and exciting the exploration, questing, and PvM aspects is what matters to me.

Soloing is very much doable, something I prefer too, but I also get into pickup groups alot, even in PvP (stealth classes and a few other types of classes are excellent solo, and it's kinda fun to rome around in the snow lands looking for people to kill). Trials of Atlantis has kick ass PvM and quests and lots of weird stuff to explore, but it's kinda for higher levels, but lower level quests arnt too bad either (there are a few in Midgard I was really impressed with, well written and interesting).

Crafting is cool. How do crafter items rank against drops? is there a big market? only for consumables or also for gear?

The market is huge, there is never enough crafters and they can make consumables and gear and improve gear and crafter items are always better than NPC stuff and quite often better than drops. What most people do is get drops that are pretty easy to get and good for them and then get a crafter to make the rest of their gear and then have another crafter improve it for them. NPC and dropped items cant be improved, only player made. and NPC sold stuff only goes up to 89% quality, player made's lowest quality is 94%.

Hoped that helped a little.

Astromarine

Erudite
followed quickly by a cowardly retreat.

Patrick, if I wanted to try out DAoC, what do I do? is there a free trial, or do I HAVE to but 3 gajillion boxes?

suibhne

Erudite
That was just about as rapid a fucking retreat as I've ever seen, rhysling. Wild stuff. It's like you never even existed, except for the gaping wound in my soul.

Anonymous

Astromarine said:
followed quickly by a cowardly retreat.

Patrick, if I wanted to try out DAoC, what do I do? is there a free trial, or do I HAVE to but 3 gajillion boxes?

There is a free trial you can download that lasts 7 days, and I forgot to answer the expansions question I think.

There are two retail ones: Shrouded Isles, Trials of Atlantis and two free ones you just download off the internet: Foundations and Frontiers

Also, all 4 of them come in a single pack called DAoC Platinum and it's only $30 I think (as Gold which was original + SI was getting around $15 when ToA came out), might even been $25 and you get a free month with that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom