Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Now that we have had Fallout: New Vegas out...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Overweight Manatee said:
dr. one said:
Clockwork Knight said:
All the 50 of us?

yes. the rest just got tricked into it.
and now Bethesda is fucked.

Damn, did I miss the scheduled RPGCodex invasion of the TESF forums or is that some serious :incline: happening over there
They have been touched by MCA.

Fuck you i still haven't finished New Vegas and right now i have no motivation to play it, the thing is too huge already bored me.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SimpleComplexity said:
Fuck you i still haven't finished New Vegas and right now i have no motivation to play it, the thing is too huge already bored me.

You should stick to shorter and smaller games then. I suggest Mass Effect or Arcania.

Vamp

Educated
Is NV worth getting if the internet Santa can send it to me as a christmas present? :M

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
dr. one said:
Clockwork Knight said:
All the 50 of us?

If I was a developer I'd just assume that post was made by a codexfag, delete the thread, ban the user's entire state/country from the message board and proceed to ignore it like usual.

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Overweight Manatee said:
dr. one said:
Clockwork Knight said:
All the 50 of us?

Damn, did I miss the scheduled RPGCodex invasion of the TESF forums or is that some serious :incline: happening over there
Some Dude on the beth boards said:
Heck yes, something similar to the system used in Mass Effect would be cool.
Don't worry, it's not that serious.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
We should invade TESF again some time soon. After all, it's the Codex Man's Burden to educate savages.

troll_1.png

And they obviously need the education.

Hard to say with ideas but having each quest with two outcomes; one good and the other evil, and which ever the player chooses affects his/her fame/infamy.

Yes but not too many consequences...

There should be different rewards for different choices also. We saw a tiny bit of this in Oblivion, like in the Fighters Guild quest about rats, when you see the woman putting venison behind the other womans house and you have 2 choices to tell on her or not, each choice gets a different reward. I want to see more of that type of roleplaying potential.

I dissagree with not being able to join multiple factions though, that could be implemented with choices and consequences by becoming a spy for a certain guild.

I ROLEPLAY A SPY

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darth Roxor said:
I ROLEPLAY A SPY

It's obvious he didn't mean larping but have it as a valid option recognized by the game. Then again, you are a typical codex convotard who probably prefers dialogue trees to the :obviously: dialogue novels in Morrowind, so it's no surprise you jump to conclusions. Oh, and fuck you and your entire lineage.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Mastermind said:
It's obvious he didn't mean larping but have it as a valid option recognized by the game. Then again, you are a typical codex convotard who probably prefers dialogue trees to the :obviously: dialogue novels in Morrowind, so it's no surprise you jump to conclusions. Oh, and fuck you and your entire lineage.

Mastermind, why do you even keep trying?

Stabwound

Arcane
New Vegas is easily the best mainstream RPG in years. Yes, it would have been better in turn-based isometric, but I think they did an awesome job given the engine and resources they were given.

I can only hope they let Obsidian do the inevitable Fallout 4.

dr. one said:

Vartan, on 14 December 2010 - 01:28 AM, said:
Who wouldn't want more choices and more consequences?

On second thought... after playing Fallout: New Vegas... I wish I wasn't missing out on huge story chunks after being forced to choose a path (Yes Man, House, NCR, Legion)

Yes, it really sucks when I have to buy several copies of the same game just to see all the possibilities...the "new game" option gets greyed out after you press it once, and the discs self-destroy when you finish the game, you know

edit:

It should not be a clear choice/consequence EVER. You should be given multitudes of choices and just as many consequences.

For example:
Simple rat quest
- You recieve quest
END- You kill the quest giver- You are banished from a guild if in one, you grow a red pulsating vein on your forehead, You can get a tattoo of you impaling the quest giver
END- You assassinate the quest giver- Quest ends, you get a red pulsating vein, you remain in guild
END- You poison the quest giver- Someone else is blamed, a battle breaks out in the guild. You can get a tattoo portraying you as an instigator
END- You attack the quest giver- You are removed from the guild
END part 2 V. 1- Another person completes the quest
END part 2 V. 2- You complete the quest anyway, the other recieves reward, you are added back to the guild if the person you attacked has a high liking of you
END part 2 V. 3- You kill the other person- The guild makes you an enemy and actively hunts you
- You go to the person's house
END- You kill that person- The quest giver removes you if disposition is less than 90
END- You attack that person- You fail the quest, you are given another
- You complete the assignment
END- You disgust the person by dragging them around or spreading the blood on purpose, quest giver is dissapointed
BONUS- You do not damage anything
BONUS- You help the owner fix damaged things
BONUS- You convince the person to put in a good word for you
- You return
END- You complete the quest successfully.

what what what IN THE BUTT

^Should've kept reading, the very next sentence explains it. Keyword is "clear". If you know exactly what does what it means you don't have to think much - it turns into a biowarian B&W choice.

"Do you wanna adopt the kitten, or strangle it with its own intestines? Be careful, one of these choices will move your alignment towards evil!"

...but of course, this was just temporary sanity, given the next paragraph's content. What the fuck?

denizsi

Arcane
CrimHead said:
This is a one time thing. Bethesda just allowed Obshit to develop New Vegas to appease the rabid Fallout fanboy faggots (FFF) ie. YOU.

LOL. As if they could give a shit or would have anything to gain from old FO fans, a financially insignificant niche. Don't be ridiculous.

CrimHead

Scholar
Oh, ok, never mind. I guess they did it because Obsidian has such a fuckin' impeccable track record, then.

denizsi

Arcane
CrimHead said:
Oh, ok, never mind. I guess they did it because Obsidian has such a fuckin' impeccable track record, then.

Yes, catering to an insignificant amount of people is clearly the more sensible option.

Stop for a moment to think it through again, before you permanently burn some more brain cells and find yourself drooling everytime you see shiny things.

Who the fuck knows why they did it? So why? Maybe because they can. Maybe they wanted to keep the franchise alive while the core Bethesda Studio was busy with preproduction of Skyrim. Maybe it has something to do with legalities (when Beth first acquired the IP, there were some conditions regarding how many FO games they could make or the names they could use for FO titles). Several probable reasons could be found. But "Throwing bones to a few miscreants"?. And with that good a PR and that good a CE package? FFS, did you only just crawl out of your mother's cunt? Pull your shit together.

CrimHead

Scholar
FFS THAT'S NOT THE REASON

THE REASON IS

FUCK I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE REASON IS

And FYI Fallout wasn't some underground game on its release. It was never some "all five of us?" thing. Fallout was popular among PC gamers from the get go. There are tons of FO1,2 fans on the web. Beth wants to convert everyone to their side, and that includes crpg veterans, hence New Vegas.

torpid

Liturgist
I really doubt Bethesda cares about original FO fans when FO3 sold millions without them. It's more likely that they simply wanted to keep milking the franchise while they're working on TES V, so they looked to outsource the game's development, and with Obsidian in need of a new pimp after AP's failure and Alien RPG's untimely demise, they were the perfect studio to hand it to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom