Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Star Wars RPG details revealed. Playtest up for purchase...

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
http://fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3496

This is SHIT. First, you don't get to play force users until book 3. Second, you have to PAY THIRTY BUCKS for the playtest docs/book, which is WITHOUT any art I might add, AND you don't get any money off the final product which u will have to buy again. Fucking golddiggers...

The biggest travesty? This shit is only covering the OT...no plans have been announced for rules covering the PT!

Now I hope the rules can be applicable for all movies, but just worried that Jedi/Sith will be powered down as in the OT...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I'm really not a fan of FFGs habit of charging money for playtest materials. :|

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
PPl have started receiving their books:

The system is WFRP 3e (also from FFG) inspired, thus the custom dice. There are six careers, with 3 specializations per career:

-bounty hunter: assassin, gadgeteer, survivalist
-colonist: doctor, politico, scholar
-explorer: fringer, scout, trader
-hired gun: bodyguard, marauder, mercenary
-smuggler: pilot, scoundrel, thief
-technician: mechanic, outlaw tech, slicer

One more NPC career for those wanting to play Jedi padawans:
-non-career: force-sensitive exile

There are a bare minimum force ability rules as well, so you can play a pre dagobah Luke if you want. Lightsabers are statted, and are apparently very powerful weapons. Currently, playing a Jedi padawan type is mostly and xp sink, as it takes more xp to build the character and purchase force skills and talents. Book 3 apparently will have complete rules for Jedi/Sith. 2 Enemy force users are statted out in this book, emperor's hands, and fallen/forsaken Jedi.

Regarding the main careers I listed above: Each specialization has talents of it's own, that can be purchased once you get into that specialization. You can switch specializations to get talents from all 3 specializations, though that costs xp I suppose. (I haven't played the horrendously expensive wfrp 3e, which cost $99.99 for the core set alone so I have no idea how the system works)

Here is the thread on rpg.net where I got this info from, it has other info there as well regarding the system, starship combat, etc etc:

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?641938-MERGED-FFG-Star-Wars-RPG-Beta/page37

Phage

Arcane
Manlet
Does anyone know why Wizard's didn't renew the license? Was saga system not making enough money, or was lucasarts not satisfied?

Either way, Saga System is actually really good (better than DnD imo) as long as you're ok with the D20 system, so I'm not too sure why I'd get this one.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Phage: AFAIK LucasArts wanted WOTC to publish a certain number of books every year, which WOTC did not find financially appealing. This is one of the reasons IMO why Star Wars EU is pure and utter shit, as there is focus on quantity over quality. And yes, SAGA was the best SW rpg game ever released up until this point. However, it was far from perfect. I hope this game by FFG is even better, but it certainly doesn't seem like it...but lets see. The force book, with full rules for force users, will be released in 2015, so we will know by then...:eek:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Well, I sure hope you guys like overpriced tabletop RPGs full of random bits like custom dice and cards to get lost over time. I don't know why WotC didn't adopt that yet, it's the perfect countermeasure against piracy/used sales.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
Well, they are also releasing a $5.00 iOs app that can make dice rolls using these custom dice, so I guess that can be pirated.

And for WOTC to do that, they would have to completely redesign the game engine that powers D&D; it would no longer be d20 for instance. Even they are not willing to fuck up the math behind the game which they think they have nearly perfected (they did hire a prestigious mathematician to work full time on 4e)

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
SAGA was the best SW rpg game ever released up until this point.

Not even close. The best Star Wars RPG is fan made:

http://members.upc.nl/l.deckers3/main_page.html

He even made character builder files.

EDIT: I think The Brazilian Slaughter might find this interesting.

Ugh, GURPS. A Star Wars rpg should have fast and exhilarating combat...I doubt GURPS can do that. But still, thanks for the link. It's Star Wars, and it's an RPG. Should make for some fun reading at least.

Anyhow, anyone know if the beta rules released have been reviewed somewhere? Anyone here got 'em?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Fuck this gay ass star turds shit. Gimme a fucking Dune RPG already. Now THAT's what I call a worthwhile space fantasy setting.

Burning Wheel had a free supplement to convert it into a dune setting in all but name. ('Cause copyright).
http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/images/0/08/Jihad.pdf

Of course, the supplement is kind of useless without the core book. But burning wheel in general is a really nice system once you wrap your head around its abstractions. It even has a seperate combat system for arguments: http://www.burningwheel.org/wiki/images/e/e5/Dow_95_108.pdf

LeStryfe79

President Spartacus
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Star Wars is usually at it's best when Force/Saber shit make up ~ 20% or so of the action. It's a nice a nice addition to a space opera, but completely dulls the setting when it saturates everything.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I doubt GURPS can do that.

You'd be wrong. But it does need an experienced GM.

Personally, besides the link I gave you, I like the old d6 system best for Starwars RPG.

Random

Arcane
Patron
Oh shit, FFG is making the next Star Wars RPG?

I can't wait to play the equivalent of a Failcolyte and burn all my Force Points in the starting mission due to only having a 30% chance to avoid taking damage, when damage is practically an insta-kill at those levels.

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
They are using the WFRP v 3.0e ruleset, with modifications. Thus, the custom dice (WH40K uses regular dice)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom