Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New RPG's released this year

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey guys, looking for new RPGs released this year that are somewhat decent to good.

Any suggestions?

Multi-headed Cow

Fallout 3 is somewhat decent to good. SoZ might be somewhat decent if you hate yourself.

Disconnected

Scholar
JarlFrank said:
Yeah get King's Bounty, it's pretty awesome. One of the best games in the recent years.
I completely agree, though if it's a good cRPG he's after it might not be the ideal suggestion. The combat is more HoMM than typical cRPG, and combat is what the game is about.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Fallout 3: -*** (though I technically haven't played it)
NWN2: SoZ: **
Fable 2: HAVEN'T PLAYED
Kings Bounty: HAVEN'T PLAYED
Mass Effect: ****1/2

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fallout 3: 1/10
NWN2: SoZ: 6/10
Fable 2: HAVEN'T PLAYED, though it probably sucks
Kings Bounty: Is it RPG?
Mass Effect: 4/10

OVERALL: This year sucks.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
OK, if you have NWN2, you should check out the fantastic mod called Conan Chronicles.

It is so fucking awesome, you should go to NWVault right NOW, and start playing it.

I was just playing Conan Chronicles Part 2: The Scythian Pits, and my heart was beating, and my hands were shaking at the sheer intensity of it.

For those who have played it, I kept challenging the most dangerous arena fighters, so that I could win massive wager woney, and then use it to buy the best equipment. I challenged a woman whose odds were 4 to 1 against me. When I came onto the arena, she was nearly unstoppable. I had all my buffs on, so I managed to beat her down to Near Death state, with me losing only one-fourth of my health. But my buffs eventually wore out, and this woman was so strong, she managed to dodge my blows in her Near Death state and killed ME.

Whoever designs such a module is a genius. No other word for it.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Currently equiping a Superior Destroyer Mail, Meteoric Claymore, Heavy Shield Legendary Armor Bracers, and a Superior Helm.

Probably the best items my Cimmerian Barbarian can get, but that still isn't enough to kill the Servant of Mistra. Is it because of some buff condition that prevents a character from dying, even after reaching zero hitpoints?

Can you believe I liked this mod so much, I actually saw Conan the Barbarian because of it? It was also a really cool movie, but contained alot of pointless filler scenes. But damn, the music is awesome, and it was great to use it in the game.

The good thing about the Conan Chronicles mod is that you can do ANYTHING. Anything! And there are entire alternative plotlines and branching consequences for it. Ypu piss off your tribe leader and get kicked out, you make your own path. And there are many options that can get you killed.

I mean, in Scythian Pits, you can just attack all those guards, and force yourself out of your slavery. There is no end to the level of interaction, with entire apartments and shops to be robbed as per your wish, and if you mess up, all the guards will be on you.

It's amazing that there could be a game which doesn't force you to do things in a certain manner, but accomodates itself to what you do. None of that flimsy, "You can't attack this guy because he is essential" crap. And the great thing is that failure is an option. There are many options that you will later realize to be completely fatal for you.

And I like how there are secret and alternative options to be discovered with either your Listen/Spot skill checks or your ability to find certain items and use them together.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Barrow_Bug said:
Beans00 said:
Soz fucking sucks.

Elaborate, please.

Yes do please. I like SOZ quite a bit, its not perfect but at least its an open ended skill based RPG with challenging combat. I love the new Overland Map. Im hoping they continue to release expansions that add things to the Overland map.

Higher Game

Arcane
It's from last year, but Eschalon is really an excellent game, probably the freshest new indie RPG series outside of Vogel's stuff. It has great music, sound, and graphics, which all really set the atmosphere for an old school RPG.

Zhuangzi

Scholar
King's Bounty is the best game I have played in maybe two or three years. Certainly the best game with TBS elements. But I wouldn't really call it a RPG. It's a TBS with the boring bits cut out. The way I see it, if you take HOMM V, cut out all the tedium and retardation, what you are left with is King's Bounty.

Play the demo if you haven't already. Be warned though, it is 80% combat, even if it is the best turn based combat in many a year.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom