Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need a list of must-play RPGs

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fallen said:
Ok so here is the list I got going so far.

NWN 2: Mask of the Betrayer (should I bother with the original game/storyline?) No
Gothic 3 (worth it?) No
Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (should I check out Baldurs Gate 1?) Yes
Kotor 1 (maybe 2?) Yes

Texas Red

Whiner
Let me get this straight. You're recommending him to play BG 1 and not NWN 2? Jeez, this is the perfect example of bandwagoning. BG 1 is horribly outdated and should be skipped, lest it taint BG 2. It doesn't even have any proper dialogs, for god's sake.

Hory

Erudite
Dark Individual said:
Let me get this straight. You're recommending him to play BG 1 and not NWN 2? Jeez, this is the perfect example of bandwagoning. BG 1 is horribly outdated and should be skipped, lest it taint BG 2. It doesn't even have any proper dialogs, for god's sake.
Pretty much. NWN2 and BG1 are only worth playing if you finished all the other games that are better. Maybe not even then...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I wouldn't say that even BG2 is worth it that much, since the only worthwhile parts about the game are Athlatka sprite, Dragon fights, mage duels and Lich fights.

I always found Minsc to be a pretty shit character that did nothing but constantly grate on my nerves. I hated the dumb faggot.

Anyways, more of a FPS/RPG hybrid than full RPG, but Deus Ex 1 and System Shock 2 are must plays. Deus Ex 2 is ass though, fuck that game.

DraQ

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I wouldn't say that even BG2 is worth it that much
Eh, it seemed ok. Nothing great, but an entertaining game, unlike the horrid waste of time that was it's prequel.

uhjghvt said:
some of minsc's best lines are in BG1 though
It's sad enough that some of his lines have to be considered his best, if only because all the others are even worse.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
DraQ said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I wouldn't say that even BG2 is worth it that much
Eh, it seemed ok. Nothing great, but an entertaining game, unlike the horrid waste of time that was it's prequel.
True dat.

But so is NWN2. To me it's really just putting the combat and dialogue (BG2 in case of the former and NWN2 in case of the latter) and choosing which way you like your generic epic fantasy. Since I don't care much for combat, I'll pick NWN2 any day over it. (and NWN2 didn't have horrible abominations like Aerie and Anomen either, at least it's weaker NPCs were just bland and uninteresting)

But they're both still just good games. Nothing more.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
<--- Although not an RPG, you owe it to yourself to play X-Com: UFO Defense.

This was the single greatest computer game I've ever played. Ignore its sequels, though.

Hory

Erudite
Jaime Lannister said:
But only because Exult makes Ultima VII playable in Windows.
If you can manage playing in a strange alternate universe where the laws of perspective don't seem to apply.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom