Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My biggest gripe with games (some spoilers)

Jarinor

Liturgist
After completing the "boffo" ending for Wizardry 8 tonight, I realised what my biggest gripe with games is. It's not linear gameplay, terrible plots, bad graphics or pathetic sound and voice acting. It's not mixing genres or the fact that games exist outside of the RP genre. No, my biggest gripe with games is others in the game reaping the rewards of what you sow. Allow me to explain. Spoilers ahead for Wizardry 8, and possible other games.

You see, the "boffo" ending in Wizardry 8 is funny for about five seconds, and then incredibly frustrating ever after. It results in the destruction of the planet and the ascension of the Dark Savant. Now, I haven't had a chance to try out the other endings just yet, but this ending is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

After collecting all three objects needed to rise to the Cosmic Circle, answering all the questions correctly, I then have to spend another half an hour to an hour slogging up a mountainside, killing every animal on the planet along the way, only to find the Dark Savant there and waiting for me. He then proceeds to destroy the planet and laugh about it. However, all he's done in the game is show up at the right time. My group of brave adventurers, however, has slogged through roughly a thousand monsters, travelled all over the planet, collected all the objects and done the ground work, and all to die at the end, simply for the sake of an alternative ending. The prophecy in the game (gotta love how those prophecies are always inaccurate don't you?) clearly says that only someone who collects all three objects will then be able to ascend. It doesn't mention anything about the gateway opening for one and all. Nothing I can do can actually stop the Dark Savant (because of my failure to complete a certain objective or two in the past).

Now, you might take this as a gripe with just Wizardry 8 in particular, but it's not. It's merely a very good example of a game ripping you off with a weak and overly used device to either make you play it again - thus providing the illusion of replay value - and so someone can claim that the game has alternative endings. Well, dammit, I think it just might be nice for once if a villian could do their own dirty work, you could challenge them, or be able to do something to short circuit their plans for once, all on your own initiative. Better yet, being able to reap their rewards would be a nice accomplishment.

However, this is all wishful thinking. To design a game to allow for this level of interactivity isn't going to happen for a helluva long time, if it even does at all. Thank you for reading my rambling rant on game design.

chrisbeddoes

Erudite
NWN .

Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.Aribeth, Aribeth , Aribeth.

Zogg

Novice
I agree to an extent, but not all games are like Wizardry 8. I would say IWD2 was an improvement of sorts. As your party ventered onward against the evil plaguing the 10-towns, the face of the 'big bad guy' changed from Guthma to Sherincal and gradually you learned about the heads of the entire 'bad guy gang', Isair and Madae. The game illustrated the chain of command and it helps if a weak party works against the baddies on gradual incline. Taking on the head boss halfway through the adventure would most likely end the adventure.

As for crappy endings, IWD2 offers much of the same - the bad guys are demons and instead of dying outright, they escaped to their 'plane' and their structure starts falling apart (very original) so my party has to make a hasty retreat. And that's it. No final leveling up. No taking their equipment or raiding their treasure. No parade from the towns or free ale at the local inn. Granted the lands of Icewind Dale were rather grim and so I suppose my party 'walking off into the next snowstorm' image I was provided was somewhat accurate, but lame nonetheless.

All in all, solid, statisfying endings are a rare find in video games...even for the good ones.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Zogg said:
As for crappy endings, IWD2 offers much of the same - the bad guys are demons and instead of dying outright, they escaped to their 'plane' and their structure starts falling apart (very original) so my party has to make a hasty retreat.

That's really not that original. Hell, it was the ending to The Mummy Returns.

Prelude to Darkness has a fairly original ending, which I won't spoil, but it doesn't involve fighting the BIG BAD HANCHO like most games do.

I really never liked the BIG BAD HANCHO scenario, because if that guy's so much of a bad ass, why bother with minions? Why keep sending minion after minion to die and fail at their goal? Why doesn't he, at some point when you've annoyed him enough, come out of his lair and stop you himself, before you get so powerful that you defeat him?

The fantasy setting is really, really bad about this, because the further you go in those games, the more powerful you'll get based on the items you can find alone. Even if they don't take in to account that you're gaining experience the whole way, they have to know the harder areas you vanquish typically have better ph4t l3wt than the easier areas. Even their minions might have powerful items that the player can gain when they kill them, so why let the players advance and gain both the experience and items when they know this will only make the player more powerful?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom