Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most memorable game/JRPG you've played in last 5 years

Yuber

Educated
JRPG's have been absolutely mediocre these last 10+ years.
The only one I would call good in all this time was Dragon Quest XI.
I am so tired of all these average JRPGs, I don't even bother anymore to try out Star Ocean 6 because I know it will be exactly like the other games that come out recently. Xenoblade 2 and 3 war garbage, then I played the Xenoblade 1 Remaster recently and it was MUCH better.
I have replayed a lot of older JRPGs again and while they have many flaws they are much more fun.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Superb English localization and voice dub

Localization is ok for the most part, aside from things going 'missing' and being renamed here and there throughout the series.
English VO is alright, but not as good as the Japanese VO. And the inclusion of at least one extremely low quality voiceactor for ideological reasons (a fact which I mentioned passingly in my review) in the English voiceacting cast is bad for immersion.

Persona 3 vanilla. It was my gateway to the Megami Tensei franchise and the JRPG as a whole. i had a blast playing that game and even the rest of the PS2 MegaTen titles were fun.

Superb English localization and voice dub

the inclusion of at least one extremely low quality voiceactor for ideological reasons (a fact which I mentioned passingly in my review) in the English voiceacting cast is bad for immersion.

Are you referring to Grace's English voice? Yeah that was awful. Fortunately she's a minor character though. She has maybe 2 minutes of voicelines across the entire Cold Steel saga.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Are you referring to Grace's English voice? Yeah that was awful. Fortunately she's a minor character though. She has maybe 2 minutes of voicelines across the entire Cold Steel saga.

Seiland, Grace and Jingo off the top of my head.

Anonymous Ranger

Literate
I had a nice long list typed out only to realize almost all of the games I had were already talked about in the thread. However Parasite Eve was not talked about so I feel the need to bring it up. It has a unique combat system and one of the few games that count both as a survival horror game and a RPG. There's really nothing I've played that's quite like it. It's a shame so many people seem to have forgotten about it these days.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I had a nice long list typed out only to realize almost all of the games I had were already talked about in the thread. However Parasite Eve was not talked about so I feel the need to bring it up. It has a unique combat system and one of the few games that count both as a survival horror game and a RPG. There's really nothing I've played that's quite like it. It's a shame so many people seem to have forgotten about it these days.

I try to talk about those games every chance I get, but I've been slacking lately.

image.png

Parasite Eve! Play them. They were so fuckin' good.

Anonymous Ranger

Literate

I try to talk about those games every chance I get, but I've been slacking lately.

image.png

Parasite Eve! Play them. They were so fuckin' good.
Very nice glad to see the game gets some love still.
Remember the best time to play PE is right before Christmas/New Years which is when the game takes place.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I've had a few. Brace for impact:

Radiant Historia:
A very well-done JRPG with a storybook feel and well-realized adult characters pushed along by something of a suspense-thriller story, equipped with an original grid-based battle system. A highly polished and thoughtfully produced stand-out in the genre.

Lost Odyssey:
Same as above, but notable for being an effort from Mistwalker/Sakaguchi to spearhead Xbox interest in Japan. That failed, but we got a real melancholic and classic Final Fantasy in all but name out of it.

Metal Max 2 Reloaded:
A post-post apocalyptic RPG of sorts where you play as a mercenary in a rebuilding world. It's completely open-ended, with mind-boggling customization with character creation and unique recruitables, classes and subclasses, tanks and vehicles with modifiable parts, dozens of quest lines, apartments, wife simping, minigames, gambling, etc.. Features a very smart NG cycle that remixes the location of items and vehicles. I think many here on the Codex would love this one if they gave it an honest effort. Has an excellent fan translation.

Super Robot Wars OG Saga: Endless Frontier and EXCEED:
Pure relentless HOT-BLOODED madness set in the mecha universe that ties the SRW games together. Starts you off with a cowboy hustler trying to catch a mythological mecha on the loose and tame it, like some sort of legendary horse in the wilderness. Overloads you with cute and sassy girls, manly dudes, comic mischief, hilarious banter, KOSMOS from Xenosaga, and pure unrelenting mayhem with a strangely sincere and romantic fantasy retro anime spirit.

Cyber Knight I & II:
These are scifi fantasy JRPGs with mechs and space exploration, with grid-based combat in random encounters, and if that wasn't niche enough, they were made explicitly for "experienced role-playing gamers only" according to the director. They will bust your balls and crush your spirit. The dungeon designs are gauntlets similar to Phantasy Star II, but with significantly harder encounters and painful resource management, and bosses that require air-tight rotations to beat. However, you get to meet God at the end of the first game, who is at the center of the universe, and the sequel directly continues from that experience. And no, you don't fight him. You actually make friends with him and he encourages and praises you for making it through everything.

Tenshi no Uta/Song of the Angel:
This one looks a little basic on the surface, but it's unique for being a love story told on the Super Nintendo. It actually has a decent one, helped by a remarkably competent fan translation, with good characters, and is overall wholesome. It's a fight between angels and demons, and has you going into hell to confront Satan himself to rescue your wife. It's a very traditional fantasy with very little WEEB and DESU, a very Codex grognard-compatible classic JRPG if there ever was one. It almost feels like a western game. Has great portraits, character designs, and fantastic pixel art for the enemies.

Lennus II:
This is technically the sequel to Paladin's Quest on the SNES, but it can be viewed as its own separate thing. It has a lot of similar mechanics and an equally weird and fascinating art style, with surrealist science fantasy worldbuilding and unique races. You can definitely see the Mobius influence here. This one in particular is notable for having what is probably the best-realized city in any JRPG of the 90s, competing with anything in the genre itself. It's an enormous horizontally sprawling complex, with multiple districts, slums, etc.. You have everything you can think of here, and not everyone is friendly or beneficial either. You can eat at an exorbiantly overpriced restaurant and go into debt and have to take out trash to pay it off, forge a green card to get around the city, recruit morally dubious magicians. It's incredible stuff. Has an exceptional fan translation too.

These are the ones that come to mind first. I've played a lot of other enjoyable ones too, but they were probably too weebslop or samey to mention here.

Lincolnberry

Educated
Are there any good ways to play Lost Odyssey if you don't have an xbox? Years ago looked like it was basically unplayable via emulator but perhaps that's gotten better.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Are there any good ways to play Lost Odyssey if you don't have an xbox? Years ago looked like it was basically unplayable via emulator but perhaps that's gotten better.
The game is playable on Xenia minus the specific game crashes, audio and weekly graphical issues. Might also need a specific save file to continue the story, not a problem for a 30+ rpg game.

alcoholyte

Novice
All 4 Trails of Cold Steel games are pretty solid, although the 4th one overstays its welcome. And it's a bit annoying how every boss you face goes "that wasn't even my final form!" and everybody is hiding their power level and all that stuff, but that's jRPGs for you I suppose - It's also funny how half of them don't want (or need) to fight you, but they're compelled to for no good reason. Haven't played Reverie, but it seems similar to Cold Steel 4 in that it has a billion characters and a similar storyline.

I played Triangle Strategy recently, and while the combat's fairly challenging on higher difficulty, the fact that there's 0 exploration, no loot, and fixed Jobs is annoying. Also, I got as far as the Avlora fight on a boat, and up until that point there wasn't much enemy variety. IIRC there's not a single monster enemy up til that point, and I don't know if there's any afterwards.

One I never see talked about is Lightning Returns. I didn't even play FFXIII, and FFXIII-2 i couldn't finish, but I thought Lightning Returns was p. fun. Fun combat, fun exploration, and the time pressure, while not too hard, adds a nice challenge to engage with. I'd really recommend it. Is there a reason nobody else talks about it? Maybe not many people played it after the the reception of the previous ones.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom