Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind mods that improve

Texas Red

Whiner
I'm looking for mods that only improve the gameplay, graphics etc. and not add new content. Help me?

Texas Red

Whiner
Helton said:
There's only one mod I think is an absolute must-use:

http://uk.geocities.com/galsiah/

Thanks but I said I don't want additional content. Something like better graphics, removing of that annoying sparkle on enchanted items etc. Essential stuff. I don't know, haven't touched Morrowind in years.

Monocause

Arcane
Try aforementioned Galsiah's character development. Works wonders. Vanilla system is shitty to the extreme.

Also, I'd go for a passive wildlife mod, which makes the animals neutral. If you don't use one, every step you take will be hindered by hordes of cliff racers and such. No fun.

Get a delay brotherhood attacks mod. Otherwise you'll be attacked by assassins almost everytime you sleep and get loads of gold in the process. Not to mention getting one of the best light armors in the beginning of the game.

Try not to use trainers and not to steal unless it's quest related. These things make the game extremely easy and ruin it, because suddenly nothing is a problem. Bethesda's understanding of the word "freedom" equals to "have the player restrict himself". Play the game with their cards or you won't get any fun at all. Don't use Creeper or the talking mudcrab. I have no idea why they've been put in game. In a normal cRPG, your quest is to make yourself as powerful as possible. In Morrowind you will strive not to become ridiculously powerful. Don't join too many guilds, or the game will get very repetitive. Stick to two or three, ie. if you have a stealthy build go for thieves' guild, morag tong and house hlaalu.

Or go the other way. Exploit the game every way possible, murder everyone, make yourself uberpowerful early in the game, wipe out each and every city except for critical characters and such. I had loads of fun levitating above Balmora and butchering everyone with shockballs. The game lacks a push spell, I'd love to push NPCs so that they fall from a cliff.

If it's your first time with Morrowind, you'll probably be thrilled at the beginning and more and more disappointed the longer you play.

Tintin

Arbiter
Dark Individual said:
Helton said:
There's only one mod I think is an absolute must-use:

http://uk.geocities.com/galsiah/

Thanks but I said I don't want additional content. Something like better graphics, removing of that annoying sparkle on enchanted items etc. Essential stuff. I don't know, haven't touched Morrowind in years.

Did you even read the website?

Helton

Arcane
That's pretty good advice. I agree especially on Dark Brotherhood mod because they pretty much break the game. Either you can't kill them -- and you're fucked. Or you can kill them and you're instantly a powerhouse.

Training? Its unbalanced. I've never trained an active melee or armor skill. But magic? They just seem to go up so slow and I feel like an enormouse dick sitting there casting a fireball at the ground a thousand times.

Deleted member 7219

Ultimate Textures - Complete v2.0
Texture Fix 1.7
Better Bodies
Better Heads
Real Signposts
Join All Houses
Daggerfall Books
All Silt Strider/Boat Ports
No-Glo for enchanted items
Vibrant Trees
Vibrant Lights
Silgrad Tower
Tamriel Rebuilt
Book Jackets

DraQ

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
Join All Houses
Is gay and uncodexian by definition. Fail.

Most texture replacers are ghey too, failing to conserve MW's superb atmosphere.

OP said he doesn't want new content - this rules out things like TR (albeit it does look extremely promising).

Daggerfall Books - where can I get it?

Monocause

Arcane
Helton said:
Training? Its unbalanced. I've never trained an active melee or armor skill. But magic? They just seem to go up so slow and I feel like an enormouse dick sitting there casting a fireball at the ground a thousand times.

That depends. If you want to make a jack-of-all-trades character then go for it and train at least to 30 so that you can do anything with the skill. On the other hand, the game seems more fun when you stick to a dedicated build. The last time I played MW I made a nord fighter who had alchemy and restoration as minor skills. I didn't use other spells aside from mark&recall and other essentials, and these you can cast even if your mysticism is at 10 (or you can buy items with appropriate enchantments). Galsiah comes with a mana regen system, so I just waited and tried until a successful cast.

It made the game more difficult and even - gasp! - somewhat strategic. I had to use various items and tricks to kill magic users or fighters more powerful than myself. I had a plan from the beginning that I can train one skill point at a trainer per level, so I got my Marksman skill a bit up to compensate for lack of spell artillery and tried to bombard enemies with throwing knives/stars before they could approach or nail me with spells. Also, I actually used alchemy to get fe. levitation, so that I could kill some more bothersome melee-based enemies.

A no stealing and no creeper playthrough makes te game really better as I had problems to get decent equipment. I used imperial templar armor for a really long time until some quest gave me a piece of ebony armor.

EDIT: Oh, I almost forgot: you should try "weapon fix" and "armor fix" mods. Try searching these names on PES, they should pop up. These mods make an attempt to rebalance weaponry and armor, and I really enjoyed these changes. For example, the glass armor is still very powerful, but it breaks down real easy, so you either have to be a decent armorer and carry hammers at all times or consider using some medium armor replacements. Same with katanas, they're powerful but have very small durability.
The crossbow shoots very slowly, but packs a big punch. If you deliver a crossbow shot while stealthing you have a chance to deliver an insta-kill.
Weapons are generally more lightweight, except for blunt weapons which makes them finally useful. Your typical mace delivers less damage than a sword, but it can make the enemy to stumble due to it's mass and thus you get two or three free hits. Warhammers are especially great, since they're very heavy and deliver decent damage.

Give these mods a try, they're definitely worth it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
monocause u just made me want to give morrowind another go again. you're quite eloquent on the subject

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom