Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moral choices done right in Fable 2?

Grandpa Gamer

Scholar
Haven't been all that interested in Fable 2 until now, but this piece from Edge makes it sound very interesting:

http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/ins ... page=0%2C0

...now being good isn’t about wanting to be good and clicking the right option: it’s about self-sacrifice. “Now it’s hard,” says Carter. “So, you’re good. What if that stops you doing this? Still good? What if we take this, and this, and this from you? Still good?”
[/quote]

Raapys

Arcane
So instead of being rewarded for being good, you'll be punished? I like it.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Come on, there was one example they gave where you are supposed to save a pretty girl from being scarred for life by sacrificing your own face. Then Pete mentioned the scar is so great, it may cause your wife and children to scream in terror when you reach home for dinner.

Whatever happened to the third option? Is this all gonna be Good gets the short end of the stick while the Bad keeps getting more cash than he knows what to do with it? "Oh I know I'll buy 999 Red Potions to save the World from the Evil Dragon!"

uhjghvt

Scholar
every molyneaux game since dungeon keeper has been shit don't get your hopes up

Data4

Arcane
I think what they're trying to avoid is a "Good = Correct" trend in the game, which is probably why they say 95% of players completed Fable as good guys. I actually blame games that either never gave evil choices or never did them in a way that provided a satisfying gaming experience, Fable included. We've become conditioned to believe that going the evil route in a game will somehow shorten it or limit possibilities to the point of removing any enjoyment. It's nice to see they're not only taking their lumps, but contributing their fair share of lumps upon themselves.

kris

Arcane
Unlike rpgcodex the regular gamer usually chooses to play good. Even in the asshole filled MMORPG world. Tradition in RPG games have always been playing the good guys, having a evil path is just something new.

It begs the question, what people dreams about destroying the world?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
If they want proper self-sacrifice, the Good way to finish the game must involve a "are you a bad enough dude to hit your own dick with a hammer?" scenario.

Xi

Arcane
Hopefully the entire game has this approach because doing "good" is often the most punishable way one can live their life. It's the whole nice people finish last scenario, or in this case good people.

You save the poor people from the attacking mob, but the poor people have no way to reward you. On the other side of this, you help the attacking mob and reap the benefit of the plunders of their current and past deeds.

It seems like one path is Do what you want, while the other path is follow a moral compass regardless of outcome. Maybe they will finally accomplish something worth talking about, but somehow I'm willing to bet it will be a very shallow implementation.

Vaarna_Aarne

Indeed. You're absolutely right Xi. I'd like to see that more in RPGs. Especially in one with a powerful PC who could do much more for himself. A story where the Good path would explore the same elements that Superman fundamentally does.

Quigs

Magister
Or a world that doesn't appreciate good, which happens much more frequently.

I think several quests where the good path is a much bigger pain in the ass would be nice, maybe balanced out later by some folks silently noticing your good deeds, and helping out later, like a guard opening a door for you, or a noble gifting you some artifact, etc.

I dunno.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
moral choices done right cannot be reduced to a simple "good=sacrifice" formula, and the fact that these can makes them look like just an unexplored side of the overused "evil=demanding more money" coin.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Vaarna_Aarne said:
If they want proper self-sacrifice, the Good way to finish the game must involve a "are you a bad enough dude to hit your own dick with a hammer?" scenario.

They did that in the previous game. But in a much more stupid manner, whereas the BIG BAD GUY is beaten, there is no longer a need to claim more power but the power is there for you to claim anyway but there will be no more plot advancement, you either want the sword to whack people dead in one hit or no. The cost? Are you a bad enough dude to gut your sister for a sword?

Vaarna_Aarne

RK47 said:
Vaarna_Aarne said:

They did that in the previous game. But in a much more stupid manner, whereas the BIG BAD GUY is beaten, there is no longer a need to claim more power but the power is there for you to claim anyway but there will be no more plot advancement, you either want the sword to whack people dead in one hit or no. The cost? Are you a bad enough dude to gut your sister for a sword?
I thought of a reverse scenario. The GOOD way would have you gut your sister and you wouldn't get the sword.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom