Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Moore-ish Steampunk

AzraelCC

Scholar
Recently finished The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (the comic books, not the ridiculous movie), and was wondering if there was any game that has the same atmosphere (preferably an rpg, even if it's a roguelike or an oldie). I've already finished Arcanum a long time ago, and it isn't really of the same tone as The League. The game the comes closest to the flavor of the League was the Civ2 mod The World of Jules Verne.

Do I have hope, or are such games impossible to find?

Project: Eternity
I vaguely remember a really old game (I only read the review, never played it) that played in this steampunk sort of scenario (a parallel-world British Empire), with "ether sailing ships" (?) that could fly to Mars or something. Unfortunately can't remember the name now. Anybody know what this was?

AzraelCC

Scholar
Sounds very interesting. Hopefully Binary knows the title; he's probably played most of the oldies.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
Space 1899

Also World of Ultima: Martian Dreams

Also, fun fact: Alan Moore is the nephew of stargazing eccentric and all-round old mentalist Patrick Moore.

Edit- damn your swift fingers

Edit2 - Yes it is a game. It's available on Abandonia, I think

AzraelCC

Scholar
Dammit, the link at HOTU is broken. Hopefully I can find the game somewhere else. Thanks for the info. If any other games come to mind, please post them. I need a Victorian steampunk fix.

spectre

Arcane
Hmm. I guess you're up for a dry spell if you want an RPG.

If you tried digging into adventure games, there might be some jucier catches, like The Gene Machine.
Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes might be good for you too.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Oh what glory it would be for the League to have a good game made out of it, with a sequel where you kick James Bond's thug ass three times.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Try Rise of Legends (an RTS). I haven't played it, but there's a steampunk faction in the game. I'm not sure if that's the kind of steampunk you're looking for, though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Cthulhugoat said:
Try Rise of Legends (an RTS). I haven't played it, but there's a steampunk faction in the game. I'm not sure if that's the kind of steampunk you're looking for, though.
You don't go to heaven unless you've read the League.

(Did a quick Google, not many of the pics that have the weird science of London showcased, but it's basically Victorian England where ALL fictional stories of the world were actually real)

League1.jpg

league_of_extraordinary_gentlemen_tripod_x.jpg

league.gif

LOEGV2.2fc.jpg

league_extraordinary_gentlemen_x.jpg

Also, all of us unfortunate Eurotrash should download (or smuggle actual copies) of The Black Dossier, just for the last three pages alone.

Cthulhugoat

Arbiter
Vaarna_Aarne said:
You don't go to heaven unless you've read the League.

I did read the comics, faget. :) It's just hard to judge the style from a couple of screenshots of the game. Probably not Beardo's style, anyway.

AzraelCC

Scholar
Indeed, a well-made League RPG would be great, but something that would probably never happen given that:

1) Alan Moore absolutely abhors any media his works take other than comic books,
2) The League draws a lot from fictional works, which could lead to a lot of copyright deals before the game could be made (hence the failure of the movie to mention the Great Detective)
3) An Englishman should lead the game design, given it is heavily specific to the perspective a particular culture, and, well, how many English game designers do you know? Except for Peter Molyneux. :lol:

Which is a shame, since volume 2 already is a great source for other places in the Empire.

I, too, am waiting for Century. I hope it will be on par with the rest of Alan Moore's best works: The League and The Watchmen.

S_Verner

Scholar
Anno Geometrica.

Because it answers the question of how to make any of that shit work.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom