Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Monomyth - A first person action RPG/dungeon crawler - now in Open Backer Beta

garren

Arcane
Patron
Here's a list of some issues I found jarring. I tried writing about everything that bothered me even in the slightest, to give feedback from a new players perspective. Just got outside Serpent's Bastion but wanted to post my notes so far:

- I'm not a fan of info dumps immediately when you start the game. It's fine for the demo, but in the full game I hope you can discover the things said in the beginning message through gameplay somehow, more fun that way too.
- I wish the text box was more near the skill you hover over in the character creation screen, you have to clance from one side of the screen to the next constantly. Why not just next to the mouse cursor?
- There is a tip in the loading screen that changes immediately to another tip before you can read the first one, there should only be one tip per loading screen so you have enough time to read.
- ESC should bring up the system menu on the center of the screen when there's no other menus, I dont like that the system button is on the inventory screen, kinda immersion breaking imo.
- ESC in general should close any menus you have open (and TAB maybe), and if there's no menus, pause the game and bring up the system menu on the center of the screen, and close the system menu also.
- Why is there an expensive looking cup on the shrine that's not stolen? It feels silly to have it there.
- You can't press ESC to close the shrine menu, or press tab, you have my click the close button with mouse. The game could ask for confirmation if you try to exit with changes to attribute/skillpoints.
- Again, I wish the item description box was next to the equipment screen or just next to the mouse when you hover over an item so I don't have to glance so far away from the item.
- When you have an item picked up from inventory on your mouse and you close the menu, the item drops on the ground. It should return to the spot where you clicked it.
- I wish I could just drag-and-drop the items on the inventory screen without letting go of the mouse button to pick them up.
- When you jump without holding anything, your hand awkwardly flashes on the screen.
- When you kick, your leg always doesn't go where you're quite aiming (looking up or down while kicking has some issues).
- You can kick down doors and other wooden stuff, therefore saving on your weapon durability, which means you should always just use kick. Is it intended, or maybe the kick should do slight damage to yourself if you start kicking down doors and stuff too much? Maybe the kick could damage only some weak doors, but weapons could damage a bit harder doors?
- You have to put an item to the correct slot on your equipment screen, it would be a nice quality of life feature to just be able to click your characters paper doll and the item goes to the correct slot automatically.
- I wish you could hold the R button to just put away all weapons you're holding (and hold R to bring them out again), like when I have a torch selected then you could put it away easily and bring it out again without switching weapons. Or when I am in a safe area I like to put away my weapons, then you could do that without having to change loadouts constantly and/or moving stuff to inventory.
- The loading bar at the bottom (like when switching loadouts) would be nicer if it was more modern. I'm thinking something like Dark & Darker for example where it circles your aiming reticle. Or something what dungeonborne does, idk.
- When you loot a torch, I'd rather have it go into my inventory instead of being held automatically if my offhand is empty.
- When you hover over quick items, the item description isn't shown.
- You can't grab the ledge of those small barred openings (windows) in the beginning.
- When reading notes there should be a page number and an arrow only to the direction the note can go.
- The red highlight kinda hurts my eyes in the dialogue screen, also the topics you can click for more dialogue should be more near the actual dialogue box (have to glance constantly right and left). In general I'd like the dialogue to be more centered on the screen, in NWN1 for example I hated that the dialogue box was this small screen in the corner, Baldur's Gate did it better.
- The NPCs sound way too cheery for the situation they're in. They should sound more surly. They also have that Oblivion thousand yard stare.
- Sprinting changes your FOV, there should be an option to disable it.
- When you drink water from the fountain a status effect box appears on the top left corner, what does it mean? Or when you get slowed by the enemies by their scream in the sewers, I wish you could read a description of the status effect somewhere. Maybe there could be a small text next to the icon that says something like "slowed" or "HP regeneration".
- When you sit on a chair or bench, just attempting to move your character should remove you from the sitting position.
- I don't like the way your character holds the bow, I think just a normal position would be better. You should also be able to cancel a drawn arrow by pressing block for example so you won't waste the arrow if you want to cancel the shot.
- The trader doesn't react when you unlock his store room, or go into it. Are there zones in the game where you're trespassing? Or he just doesn't care?
- In the trading screen your quick items can be seen behind your inventory slots.
- What does the sparkling light you drop on death mean, that you can pick up after reviving? XP?
- Stealing feels janky, if I take a coin pouch Trystan gets mad and won't talk to me but that's it, everyone else is just friendly to me as always. He yells for guards but no one comes for help. Maybe add an option of being able to give back what you took to the npc so he might forgive you, and then get attacked if you actually are gonna steal something and get caught.
- The trading window looks a bit messy. All these separate floating boxes, the trade screen should look more unified somehow. Six boxes for coin amounts, looks really confusing at first. Is there a way to get rid of at least two of the coin amount boxes, maybe the trader could balance the sum automatically in the total value box when you add or remove stuff, but then after that you could just alter the sum for consideration?
- When you can peek through a keyhole, the aiming reticle should turn into an eye or something for a better hint.
- I got one of the fishmen stuck trying to run through the plank that you have to duck under a bit earlier before encountering the fishmen. Enemies should break simple wooden obstructions that the player can also break if they try to get to you. It should slow them down of course.
- When you loot a body I think a "corpse" would be a better term, not a "container"
- Please please please add a "sort inventory" button.
- I can already tell you that the guard code is gonna annoy some people, even I was wondering if I'm trying to insert the code in the right place since the note clearly showed numbers, but then you gotta count symbols all of a sudden. Yes yes git gud and all that.
- Why is there a wheel to open the portcullis outside Serpent's Bastion, that's a bit silly. You could just add a note inside that says the portcullis is broken or something and doesn't close fully, so you could duck underneath it and even operate it inside, it just won't go fully down.
- You should get a list of patch notes if you click on the patch number on the bottom of the screen of the main menu.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
Here's a list of some issues I found jarring. I tried writing about everything that bothered me even in the slightest, to give feedback from a new players perspective. Just got outside Serpent's Bastion but wanted to post my notes so far:

- I'm not a fan of info dumps immediately when you start the game. It's fine for the demo, but in the full game I hope you can discover the things said in the beginning message through gameplay somehow, more fun that way too.
- I wish the text box was more near the skill you hover over in the character creation screen, you have to clance from one side of the screen to the next constantly. Why not just next to the mouse cursor?
- There is a tip in the loading screen that changes immediately to another tip before you can read the first one, there should only be one tip per loading screen so you have enough time to read.
- ESC should bring up the system menu on the center of the screen when there's no other menus, I dont like that the system button is on the inventory screen, kinda immersion breaking imo.
- ESC in general should close any menus you have open (and TAB maybe), and if there's no menus, pause the game and bring up the system menu on the center of the screen, and close the system menu also.
- Why is there an expensive looking cup on the shrine that's not stolen? It feels silly to have it there.
- You can't press ESC to close the shrine menu, or press tab, you have my click the close button with mouse. The game could ask for confirmation if you try to exit with changes to attribute/skillpoints.
- Again, I wish the item description box was next to the equipment screen or just next to the mouse when you hover over an item so I don't have to glance so far away from the item.
- When you have an item picked up from inventory on your mouse and you close the menu, the item drops on the ground. It should return to the spot where you clicked it.
- I wish I could just drag-and-drop the items on the inventory screen without letting go of the mouse button to pick them up.
- When you jump without holding anything, your hand awkwardly flashes on the screen.
- When you kick, your leg always doesn't go where you're quite aiming (looking up or down while kicking has some issues).
- You can kick down doors and other wooden stuff, therefore saving on your weapon durability, which means you should always just use kick. Is it intended, or maybe the kick should do slight damage to yourself if you start kicking down doors and stuff too much? Maybe the kick could damage only some weak doors, but weapons could damage a bit harder doors?
- You have to put an item to the correct slot on your equipment screen, it would be a nice quality of life feature to just be able to click your characters paper doll and the item goes to the correct slot automatically.
- I wish you could hold the R button to just put away all weapons you're holding (and hold R to bring them out again), like when I have a torch selected then you could put it away easily and bring it out again without switching weapons. Or when I am in a safe area I like to put away my weapons, then you could do that without having to change loadouts constantly and/or moving stuff to inventory.
- The loading bar at the bottom (like when switching loadouts) would be nicer if it was more modern. I'm thinking something like Dark & Darker for example where it circles your aiming reticle. Or something what dungeonborne does, idk.
- When you loot a torch, I'd rather have it go into my inventory instead of being held automatically if my offhand is empty.
- When you hover over quick items, the item description isn't shown.
- You can't grab the ledge of those small barred openings (windows) in the beginning.
- When reading notes there should be a page number and an arrow only to the direction the note can go.
- The red highlight kinda hurts my eyes in the dialogue screen, also the topics you can click for more dialogue should be more near the actual dialogue box (have to glance constantly right and left). In general I'd like the dialogue to be more centered on the screen, in NWN1 for example I hated that the dialogue box was this small screen in the corner, Baldur's Gate did it better.
- The NPCs sound way too cheery for the situation they're in. They should sound more surly. They also have that Oblivion thousand yard stare.
- Sprinting changes your FOV, there should be an option to disable it.
- When you drink water from the fountain a status effect box appears on the top left corner, what does it mean? Or when you get slowed by the enemies by their scream in the sewers, I wish you could read a description of the status effect somewhere. Maybe there could be a small text next to the icon that says something like "slowed" or "HP regeneration".
- When you sit on a chair or bench, just attempting to move your character should remove you from the sitting position.
- I don't like the way your character holds the bow, I think just a normal position would be better. You should also be able to cancel a drawn arrow by pressing block for example so you won't waste the arrow if you want to cancel the shot.
- The trader doesn't react when you unlock his store room, or go into it. Are there zones in the game where you're trespassing? Or he just doesn't care?
- In the trading screen your quick items can be seen behind your inventory slots.
- What does the sparkling light you drop on death mean, that you can pick up after reviving? XP?
- Stealing feels janky, if I take a coin pouch Trystan gets mad and won't talk to me but that's it, everyone else is just friendly to me as always. He yells for guards but no one comes for help. Maybe add an option of being able to give back what you took to the npc so he might forgive you, and then get attacked if you actually are gonna steal something and get caught.
- The trading window looks a bit messy. All these separate floating boxes, the trade screen should look more unified somehow. Six boxes for coin amounts, looks really confusing at first. Is there a way to get rid of at least two of the coin amount boxes, maybe the trader could balance the sum automatically in the total value box when you add or remove stuff, but then after that you could just alter the sum for consideration?
- When you can peek through a keyhole, the aiming reticle should turn into an eye or something for a better hint.
- I got one of the fishmen stuck trying to run through the plank that you have to duck under a bit earlier before encountering the fishmen. Enemies should break simple wooden obstructions that the player can also break if they try to get to you. It should slow them down of course.
- When you loot a body I think a "corpse" would be a better term, not a "container"
- Please please please add a "sort inventory" button.
- I can already tell you that the guard code is gonna annoy some people, even I was wondering if I'm trying to insert the code in the right place since the note clearly showed numbers, but then you gotta count symbols all of a sudden. Yes yes git gud and all that.
- Why is there a wheel to open the portcullis outside Serpent's Bastion, that's a bit silly. You could just add a note inside that says the portcullis is broken or something and doesn't close fully, so you could duck underneath it and even operate it inside, it just won't go fully down.
- You should get a list of patch notes if you click on the patch number on the bottom of the screen of the main menu.
He also doesn't like having to boot up his PC to play the game. That should be changed.

garren

Arcane
Patron
More stuff.

- You can't grab the edge of the roof shingles in the church looking building to pull yourself up, you have to walk to the side and pull yourself up from the big wooden beam. Also you can't look through the keyhole of the same building. The music changes weirdly as you hop on the roof area.
- The scale of the big double doors left of Serpent's Bastion is huge, the keyhole is higher than the players head. Should you be able to peek through the keyholes also? Can all keyholes be peeked through?
- The bodies outside Serpent's Bastion have this weird yellowish glow to them, looks odd.
- The slimes are hard to hit, you have to be right on top of them to be able to get a hit in.
- There's a coin pouch on a wooden beam just next to the main portcullis of Serpent's Bastion. The ledge grabbing detection is kinda wonky, it was really hard to get on top of the beams. Also, when jumping between the beams, there is an invisible wall next to the wall stones that makes it harder to make it across the beams.
- In general the ledge grabbing mechanic could use some work, there's boxes and stuff where it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, depends on the angle and elevation.
- The combat encounters seem too easy this time (except the fishmen in the beginning). I wish the enemies had some more strategies. Maybe the slimes could spit acid far away?
- Inventory space is too limited, just carrying your main weapons, food and general items fills up your inventory completely, can't pick up new stuff you find unless you start dropping other useful stuff. Maybe there is inventory extension bags later on, but the default inventory size should be bigger. Maybe make some items smaller like bandages, flint & steel, torches etc.?
- Switching between ranged, magic and melee is too slow. There should be a quick way to at least access all three quickly (more loadouts/selection wheel?).
- A torch also takes a loadout slot, I think a dedicated torch/light slot on equipment screen would be welcome and a button to change your offhand to the light source.
- Please reduce the amount of breakable barrels to half of what exists right now, us loot whores have to break every barrel because they might contain loot, it becomes a chore after a while with so many barrels.
- Hopefully you'll add more different looking hidden buttons/switches as the game advances, once you see a few similar looking wall buttons or activatable books you'll start to notice them easier, new designs will keep players on their toes.
- I don't like the crit slowdown, it just slows things down, maybe there could be just some sound effect letting you know you crit something.

Well I found the horn, so that's it for now. Didn't explore every nook, tried entering the slime caves for example but I just died from the gasses so whatever.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Found this video:

I have watched some older videos of this guy and they're often funny, most of the time he plays broken/obscure/bad/etc games though sometimes he plays something he likes and recommends. I guess he decided to try Monomyth because he liked the name :-P.

Anyway, RatTower he did seem to run on a bug that basically softlocked the game because he couldn't activate anything, attack anything (or even be attacked, he found a rat that instead of attacking him was just following him around), so you may want to check it out as the video might have a clue of what happened.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Played some more:

I finally conquered the slime caves, it was cool seeing the vapors dissipate and the slime walls vanish from the area, really cool moment. The rest of the Serpents Bastion was mostly the same as the last demo so I won't focus on that too much, except that it feels way too big now for the simple task of going to the horn and just picking it up (maybe a demo thing?).

A few more things:
- Spellcasting is a bit messy. Finding spells is ok (scrolls or by discovery), but when you draw the spell it should get added immediately to your prepared spells list (the book) without having to click it in the center of the pentagram. Also the full list of known spells should be under the echo stone screen itself (maybe make the spell preparing screen a full screen of its own?), and if you click on a known spell it should show the way to draw itself on the echo stone screen. Also I don't know if it was a bug or something but all spells failed to cast as of the latest patch at least for me.
- Metal weapons should last longer before breaking, I'm actually fine with something like bone and wood and similar breaking fast, those should be disposable. The player should be informed somehow in the beginning of the game that some weapons break fast and are meant disposable. Also torches don't last long enough.
- You should be able to repair things at a vendor too for a small cost, reserve the blacksmithing part for making new weapons from ore or something (and repairs too if you wanna go through the trouble).
- The fireball trap sound effect when it charges sounds kinda annoying, also it makes sense for the control panel to be in a more hidden spot after you have passed the trap itself, who would install the control panel before the trap itself? That would give the sneaky types more reward by sneaking past the trap and then be given the reward of actually controlling it. Also I didn't try it out but could it be possible to destroy the trap with weapons as a fighter type? Could there be traps that can be destroyed and some that can't?
- Swimming under water has this wavy screen effect that's annoying, toning it down a bit would be cool. Also pressing control should move you down and space move you up. When you're on the water surface the color effect of being underwater can trigger even if you're not under the water.
- I wish it would say what key was used when opening doors with them.
- I feel like there's way too many locked things now. When you open a locked container there should be at least a worthwhile reward, not just empty space (lolled at that troll moment) or a simple bandage. Can you break some locks as a fighter type with enough strength?
- I found a big red button on a pillar in the connecting hallways with gravestones before Serpent's Bastion, it opens a secret door that leads nowhere, just a black empty void.
- The upper keep is boring after the controllable fireball trap, so much space reserved for four identical staircases with only a few rooms actually inside, entering the place itself should feel like a reward and be a cool explorable location with the best design.
- The rocky area where you can jump from the highest tower is buggy, you can see through the walls and the geometry doesn't match your characters place. You can also jump on the rocky cliffs from where the shrine is next to the bridge, that geometry is bugged too.
- Ladders are super fast.
- I actually wish there was a few more enemies aside from the slimes, the keep area feels almost too empty.
- Rats are really hard to hit too, short/small enemies in general are.
- I wish the keep area had a cool puzzle or two, those are always fun, something simple would be nice.
- The tower crystal ball shows the grave secret, but that just opens/closes the door you came through earlier now.
- I wish you could compare the item you're wearing and the new item you have found, like pressing shift to see the stats of both on items on mouseover, side by side.
- You should be able to stand on the roofs of buildings since you can do so on the church roof. Other building roofs just slide you down.
- Documents should be categorized under different area names where you found them, makes finding old notes easier.
- Hate to say it but the dialogue and the notes are kinda boring, I started skipping through them almost immediately. I would go for a less is more approach, make the messages and dialogue simple and only inform stuff that actually matters to the plot/lore or point you to something useful.
- If you can, add more variety to the environments, have each area (and maybe some sub-areas too) have something unique to them not found in other places, something simple like unique cave textures, a unique asset or two etc.
- Please add an "exit to main menu" button to the system menu in addition to the exit to desktop.
- Quickslots were fixed behind the trading screen now, but in approximately where the quickslots were before, you can't select the items in your inventory anymore when trading.
- When I think about it, you shouldn't restrict the other screens like the spell list to a small side box with the same space as the equipment screen, just make it a full window on the center of the screen, you don't need to see the first person view when editing spells or notes and stuff.

I feel like there's a decent game underneath it all but it still needs a ton of polish imo (judging from the demo obviously). There's a general jankiness to many things like the UI, combat, NPCs etc. But I'm looking forward to seeing how the game shapes up, keep up the good work!

EDIT: Oh yeah, how in the hell is there a talking rat :lol:? It just breaks the suspension of disbelief, the player should at least be able to ask in dialogue how the hell it can talk. Are talking rodents/animals a thing in this universe?

Last edited:

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Barely 5 mins into the demo, I murdered the first group of friendly NPCs and looted all their shit. GOTY material right there. :obviously:

Also, setting doors on fire never gets old, but it does feel jarring you can't light up some of the other supposedly flammable stuff like tables, shelves and tapestries. :P

garren

Arcane
Patron
I think it would be good to hide any attack/defense values of zero that an item has (for example those magic defenses of zero), makes the item descriptions more clear.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/4043035

State of the Game: Video Devlog 11.0 | Steam Next Fest Results | GOG​

Hi, dungeon-crawling fans!

Another month, another update! This one is going to be a little shorter, but there are still some very important developments I would like to report. In this update we will be looking at the Steam Next Fest and how that worked out. We will also be looking at the overhauled UI and I have some very good news about GOG!

The next step in development is the Open Backer Beta. I still need to implement some feedback and work over the early areas of the game, but it's coming closer with big steps. I will announce it on relatively short notice. Something I forgot to mention in the video: We will probably go through the OBB in phases, i.e., like the regular closed beta, but with significantly shorter update cycles.

As always, you can find the video's transcript below!

Best wishes,

Michael

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A busy month is over and there is a lot to report! Between the Steam Next Fest and various patches, I also have some news about Monomyth on GOG. So let’s take a look at it!
During February I mostly focused on the release of the Steam Next Fest demo and various patches fixing the problems that people found in it. And there was no shortage of problems, the most notorious one being a bug that slowed down mouse movement. Luckily, this and other problems could be fixed relatively quickly. All in all, I received a lot of useful feedback. At this point, there are over a hundred posts in the respective thread of Monomyth’s Steam Community Hub. I am going through these posts one by one and I am trying to implement fixes for all issues. I am still updating the demo with hotfixes, so you can take a look at the latest changes at any time.
One major change I recently uploaded was a visual overhaul for the UI. Some people suggested adding some more contrast because bright writing on bright backgrounds was not ideal. So, I took some time and designed a new UI. I played around in Blender at first but then I decided to create the UI elements through procedural image editing. This way I could produce many different window sizes in a relatively short amount of time. What required some more work were the different UI icons. Various menu entries now have a visual representation, for example, all attributes have a small corresponding icon next to them. All of these were made in Blender. All in all the new UI is much more readable and coherent. The overhaul was purely visual - in the future, I will further improve the UI’s functionality as well.
The UI update was one of the bigger requests from the feedback list. The other big thing was a combat overhaul which is one of the next things on my to-do list. It might not make it for the open backer beta but I definitely want to patch combat before the early access phase.
Talking of which, with Steam Next Fest out of the way the OBB is the next step in development. I will work over the earlier areas in the game once more and then it should be ready.
In terms of numbers, Steam Next Fest was rather successful, despite the amount of reported issues early on. Monomyth received something between six and seven thousand wishlists. The rule of thumb is that a game should receive roughly between 3 and 4.5 times its wishlists of the first Steam Next Fest day. Monomyth received around two thousand wishlists on the first day, so the results are satisfactory.
As a last little surprise this month: I have signed a contract with GOG, who were kind enough to consider selling Monomyth in their store. So if you’re not into Steam you can request a GOG key instead. All pre-release test versions will still be distributed via Steam, however, once we go into the Early Access, I will provide you with a form to choose the platform of your liking. This also means, that all pre-release keys will be locked. So if you are currently in the closed beta or take part in the open backer beta, those keys will be automatically invalidated and you will have to unlock the game a second time with your final key.
So that’s all for now. I’ll keep uploading hotfixes and preparing the game for the OBB. Perhaps I can already implement a few fixes for the combat system. We will see. Either way, I’ll keep you updated, and see you soon!

Gargaune

Magister
So if you're not into Steam, you can request a GOG key instead.

Fuck yes, sign me up! I'm gonna burn a GOG copy to disc, print a cover for the case and put it on my shelf. People are gonna come around and go "What's this? 'Monomyth?' I haven't heard of that..." and I'm gonna snort, toss my scarf over my shoulder and be all like "Of course you haven't."

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beta will soon be released to all backers!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/836367155/monomyth/posts/4073075

State of the Game: Video Devlog 12.0 | Open Backer Beta​

It's time for another update! Monomyth is finally entering its Open Backer Beta phase. You can hear all about it in the new devlog. As always you can find the transcript below!

You will soon receive an e-mail with your Open Backer Beta key. Please remember that these keys are not final. They will be locked shortly before the game enters Early Access.

I am looking forward to your feedback!

Best Wishes,

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------

It’s time for a new update on the project! In this one, we’re looking at some very interesting stuff because Monomyth is about to start its Open Backer Beta phase. So let’s take a look at it!

I spent the last few weeks fixing more of the problems that were pointed out during Steam Next Fest. Monomyth received plenty of updates and hotfixes. Among other things its UI was improved, the inventory system was adjusted so items could be rotated, existing quests were tested and fixed, framerate options were added, a new enemy type was introduced, and so on. Some of these things were also added in the demo version. Meanwhile, for the closed beta, I have developed a mapping system that will probably please the Ultima Underworld fans among you. Now the project is finally approaching a state where it can be pushed into the next, and final, testing phase before early access.

I have talked about the Open Backer Beta many times in the past. It’s the phase in which all Kickstarter backers from the 15-dollar tier upwards are invited to test the game. This, of course, also includes encore backers.
They can leave their feedback in the respective Rat Tower Discord channel or use the prepared feedback form, which is linked in the game’s system menu.

If you are a backer, you will soon receive a Steam key per mail. Don’t forget to check your spam folder. It’s important to know that this is not your final game key! This is only a testing key and it will be locked shortly before the early access release. You will then receive your final key, either for GoG or Steam. As far as the choice between those keys goes, I will soon send out a form with which you can request a GoG key - otherwise, you will be sent a Steam key.

Let’s quickly go over some comments on the OBB:
Concerning content, the first phase of the Open Backer Beta will contain the new beginning, the heartlands, and a mini-dungeon. The second phase will then introduce plenty of content including several areas, big and small, as well as the game’s main hub.

It is in this constellation that the game will probably launch into early access. But before that happens I want to work over a few features - first and foremost combat and AI, but, of course, also the feedback given during the OBB.

During early access, there will probably be two major content updates. The first will introduce the last beta area, which still requires some polishing. Other than that it is pretty much ready, so I hope that it won’t take too long. After that I will start working on the last chapter of the game and, of course, also the backer content.

And that is already it for this month. As I mentioned, if you are a backer and you want to join the beta test, keep an eye out for that testing key. Look into your spam folder as well. You will receive an email from me shortly. I will keep you updated, and see you soon!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Got my key:

Dear Infinitron,

I am happy to inform you, that Monomyth has entered its Open Backer Beta.
To participate, please activate the following key on your Steam account:

ATTENTION: This is NOT your final release key!

After the conclusion of the Open Backer Beta, this key will be locked. You will then receive your final game key, either for Steam or GOG.
A form to choose between keys will be sent out in the near future.

During testing, you can share your feedback in two ways:
1) Join the Rat Tower Discord channel: https://discord.gg/nMPfyXqBvj
2) Use the form linked in the game's System menu (simply open your inventory with TAB and select the cogwheel on the upper right).

Please keep in mind that the Open Backer Beta is a work-in-progress version and does not represent the final state of the game.
There are still many issues that need to be addressed. Your input is invaluable in this process!
Thank you once again for your ongoing support!

Best wishes,
Michael

Gargaune

Magister
You will then receive your final key, either for GoG or Steam. As far as the choice between those keys goes, I will soon send out a form with which you can request a GoG key - otherwise, you will be sent a Steam key.
Oh, shit, if I miss the e-mail I'll be stuck with Steam? Now that's what I call a hardcore QTE... :negative:

Cohesion

Scholar
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You will then receive your final key, either for GoG or Steam. As far as the choice between those keys goes, I will soon send out a form with which you can request a GoG key - otherwise, you will be sent a Steam key.
Oh, shit, if I miss the e-mail I'll be stuck with Steam? Now that's what I call a hardcore QTE... :negative:
Add domain to whitelist in your email service config. Or even create a rule to automatically mark emails from *@domain.com and move them to separate folder.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I backed via Codex fundraiser. Not seen a mail yet, but maybe it'll be sent in the next couple of days. I'm in no hurry.

Ivan

Arcane
Hi bros, feel free to use this key. I'm away on vacation.
XTD2K-LG6MY-IEWY0

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom