Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Minimal Character Development

hpmons

Novice
How would you feel about a game where there is little character development, by which I mean rare chances to raise attributes and skills?

I’m thinking of a text game (which will doubtlessly turn into nothing) which would allow attributes to be raised very rarely - maybe two or three times in the whole game, and the ability to raise skills would be limited (I’ll outline ideas below). Your starting character would be important. This isn’t some crucial feature of the game, it’s just something that somehow feels right, and yet...I feel uneasy about it.

Would such a thing still be considered RPG, or would it drift into the adventure genre? And...does it matter? Could it still be a compelling game?

The obvious pro to character development is...the sense of progression. That your character has achieved things during the game and is now in a better position than he was at the start. But there are many ways to achieve this without stat/skill progression:
- A common way is equipment – in my game this wouldn’t be too emphasised, but there will probably be better swords and armour, as well as clothes that would affect peoples opinion of you. Maybe magic items.
- General possessions – Houses, a horse, miscellaneous magic items (e.g. a rare item that acts as a telephone), maybe a slave or servant. If its possible to balance money so that it can still actually be worth something in the second half of the game, that would be good.
- Importantly: social standing. Your choices could affect your allies and enemies, reputation amongst groups (peasants, nobility, merchants, criminals, specific organisations) as well as your over all fame, all of which could lead to new things. You could have titles bestowed on you that could grant positive and negative effects. Maybe being thrown into prison and getting the title Ex-Con won’t make you instantly reach for the load button...
- Impact on the world – while not exactly personal progression, it’s a sense of development if you manage to raze a town to the ground, help someone win an election, or frame a person for a mass murder.

Skill progression is something I haven’t quite decided yet. The main choices are:
- Levelling system: I just don’t want to do that.
- Typical use-based system. Maybe?
- Trainer-based: People will train you for a fee, up to their own maximum. Seeking out master trainers could be a quest in itself. Also cost time, if relevant.
- Gift-based: At rare specific moments in the game you have the opportunity to raise certain skills. Either because it seems to fit in with the quest, or as a reward someone offers you training or a useful book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom