Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Let's Read Merry fucking Christmas!

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Well, it's been a while, so I'm going to post a little bit of comics again. And this time I do mean a little bit in a non-ironic way. After all, Christmas is a season of giving, and I give culture and irrigation.

References aside, this year's very special holiday special comic is an issue of Warren Ellis' opus magnum, Transmetropolitan (as I usually remind you, this too is one of the best comics ever made). There is a Christmas special too, but for the time being you'll have to settle for an appetizer, (actual Christmas special issues later on) and have the best mild-mannered journalist ever, Spider Jerusalem, take on religion in the future where nobody is sure of what the goddamn date is!

Now read, or you'll have to show your penis to him.

Vaarna_Aarne

HtMFQ.jpg

YwzKw.jpg

oeCGc.jpg

EUaoE.jpg

Y7xFp.jpg

QyTBN.jpg

jN5r8.jpg

VIMB6.jpg

Lrd4J.jpg

sGha6.jpg

3rtFQ.jpg

lmfKb.jpg

thrFR.jpg

MrSfc.jpg

UgqvL.jpg

8H9h2.jpg

tuwlJ.jpg

bjWOZ.jpg

rGDBV.jpg

Zi94S.jpg

0cf9E.jpg

88iPN.jpg

Sa6Be.jpg

Erebus

Arcane
Not bad. Rather heavy-handed, but there's an amusing parallel between the last part of the story and Jesus chasing the merchants out of the temple.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Aye, the whole Jesus in the Temple thing got a chuckle out of me, but that's some heavy-handed atheist preaching there. Eh. Still cool.

Vaarna_Aarne

Not bad. Rather heavy-handed, but there's an amusing parallel between the last part of the story and Jesus chasing the merchants out of the temple.

Aye, the whole Jesus in the Temple thing got a chuckle out of me, but that's some heavy-handed atheist preaching there. Eh. Still cool.
Guys, the correct term is angry ranting.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
It looks to me like the author using the comic to preach his "insights" into alien visitations (lulz) and the history of religion (which he's wrong on), which to me isn't that interesting or that different from an author preaching theist thinking.

But still fun.

Vaarna_Aarne

Of course he is doing that, but at least it's advertised as angry ranting.

Incidentally Transmetropolitan is Patrick Stewart's favourite.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It looks to me like the author using the comic to preach his "insights" into alien visitations (lulz) and the history of religion (which he's wrong on), which to me isn't that interesting or that different from an author preaching theist thinking.

But still fun.
Ellis was generally using Transmet to preach about lots of things.

Tigranes

Arcane
I have to say this one didn't work for me. Unimaginative, overdone in-your-face style, and no intelligent message worth quizzing out beneath. I agree the last bit's Jesus parallel is nice, though.

...Merry fucking Christmas? :D

Vaarna_Aarne

But still fun.
Ellis was generally using Transmet to preach about lots of things.
So far I've preferred his angry ranting style there over his later stuff, it's much more sincere, funny and not annoyingly edgy and nihilistic like, say, Supergod, Black Summer or No Hero. Well, at least not five volumes in yet.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So far I've preferred his angry ranting style there over his later stuff, it's much more sincere, funny and not annoyingly edgy and nihilistic like, say, Supergod, Black Summer or No Hero. Well, at least not five volumes in yet.
The problem with the latter volumes is that they are HORRIBLY decompressed. Other than that, Transmet is consistently excellent from start to finish. It's one of the few comics I have actually bothered to buy.

Vaarna_Aarne

The problem with the latter volumes is that they are HORRIBLY decompressed. Other than that, Transmet is consistently excellent from start to finish. It's one of the few comics I have actually bothered to buy.
Well, it's just another comic in my long list of comics that I've practically devoured since reading the first volume. Previous two where this happened were The Invisibles and Ex Machina, though I was seriously let down by the ending of Ex Machina.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Transmetropolitan is fantastic, but it needs to be read from the start to get a feel for it.

The setting is a futuristic world where all stupidity, vice, decadence and corruption of today is ten times over (or maybe much less actually, who knows) , and spider is a former idealistic journalist/writer, turned hermit, turned crazy ranting destroyer of everything that remotely annoys him. Everything is over the top here but there's a nice analogy with today's society and at the same time it's a very entertaining romp.

And that reminds me that I need to buy the last three volumes.

Holy Cow

this is good shit. that said, you havent actually posted the christmas issue. neither of them

:mob:

Vaarna_Aarne

Silence. I am watching television.

(Actually I'm playing Star Trek Online and watching Gankutsuou; I'll post some choice bits tomorrow)

Vaarna_Aarne

As said, I'm just posting choice issues. Transmetropolitan is 10 volumes long and easy to acquire, so go get your own.

This one is my personal favourite issue of the series. Very heavy stuff to read.

FFbmO.jpg

a6aKW.jpg

b2g2T.jpg

B5u3p.jpg

Fmn8l.jpg

RrlFk.jpg

8MOcM.jpg

M0wTB.jpg

vO1QK.jpg

YVkit.jpg

1ppdf.jpg

mm85x.jpg

RBS2R.jpg

4N9cG.jpg

X2nZn.jpg

nAv5d.jpg

Amzle.jpg

mvfSj.jpg

DoMj9.jpg

W99QI.jpg

wVeWs.jpg

Voi8G.jpg

8dXwH.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom