Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

MCA Kotor 2 Interview

Liberal

Barely Literate
He looks like a fag.
81.gif

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
-Pavlos- said:
I do. Tell me, what, exactly, is stopping a video game from having these qualities?

There's no such thing as art, only genius, and there's no genius in the video game industry (or anything else anymore). That's all there is to it.
Actually, come to think of it, you're making an understatement.

Even genius implies the presence of actual talent. Talent, as far presentation in gaming goes, is not at all present.

We often say that a game has good music, but that music will only be good by the standard of gaming. In actuality, the music will be quite mediocre. The person composing it will barely qualify as a composer.

But there have been instances where people with actual talent worked on a game. A while back, we were discussing what a great composer Stephane Picq was. That's because Stephane Picq was a real and a trained composer, and not just some videogame riffraff. And he is considered to be possibly the best game composer out there. But that's only because he was a composer at all.

And even as a composer, Stephane Picq's music might be characterized as decent or average. Just listen to this music from a Stephane Picq game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Z75Bcima4

It starts out so promising, and yet falls apart very badly early on. We are just too forgiving towards videogame talent. About the best videogame composer himself was not that great, and he was only working on games years ago. Yeah, he actually had talent, but not an ounce of genius.

Games are better off focusing on the actual core game, and not waste their time on arbitraries like music, writing, and other presentation.

Liberal

Barely Literate
One thing is music for a video game, and another thing is just music. The former has the game to back him up, the latter is on it's own.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Games are better off focusing on the actual core game, and not waste their time on arbitraries like music, writing, and other presentation.

While I agree to that, saying that for a game to have some artistic qualities a genius should work on it is a load of bullshit. Not everything artistic comes from the hands of a genius. There are more degrees of talent. Which brings me to this:

Talent, as far presentation in gaming goes, is not at all present.

Another load of bullshit. Even if you resume only to talent in creating a good gameplay, there still is in certain games or fields and it was present a whole lot more in the past when competent people were hired instead of munchkins.

But then again... what are you... 17 if I'm not mistaken? In all these long, tough 17 years, did you have any tangency with art? At least blankly staring at the paintings in a museum? Or your favorite past-time is wasting the Codex bandwidth babbling about gaming philosophy picked up from the posts of people who were actually born when the games they're talking about were made?

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
There's no such thing as art, only genius
This statement is inane. It does not mean anything at all. LyricSuite at his best. :salute:

There's no sutch thing as genius, only art. You can quote me on this. r0ffles

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Wyrmlord said:
Even genius implies the presence of actual talent.

Sure, in so far as talent is necessary for the expression of genius. Where would a writer be if he didn't know how to string sentences together? But talent doesn't make the genius. One could say for instance that Mendelssohn was a far more talented composer then Beethoven, and he had infinitely better training to boot. Yet, it is Beethoven who turned out to be the greater genius. This is because genius is about individualities, always has. This is the problem when people speak of "art" as an easily defined phenomena. Do you think a Rembrandt painting is great because it is art, or because it was painted by Rembrandt? Think about it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
Lyric Suite said:
Do you think a Rembrandt painting is great because it is art, or because it was painted by Rembrandt? Think about it.
So, a Rembrandt painting is great because it is painted by guy named Rembrandt and not because it is great piece of art. Think about it.

Liberal

Barely Literate
Do you think a Rembrandt painting is great because it is art, or because it was painted by Rembrandt? Think about it.
That depends of exactly which painting you have in mind.

Azarkon

Arcane
Lyric Suite said:
-Pavlos- said:
I do. Tell me, what, exactly, is stopping a video game from having these qualities?

There's no such thing as art, only genius

Genius in science is not the same as genius in art. The word "art" is semantically useful for that reason alone.

and there's no genius in the video game industry (or anything else anymore). That's all there is to it.

It's because you take yourself too seriously.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
-Pavlos- said:
Wyrmlord said:
You really need to start seeing videogames as videogames. :P

Reality.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom