Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect 2 Writing: Surprisingly Good

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"You can finish it in about 15 hours."

WTF. That's bullshit. You must have been one of those diunks who finished FO1 in less than a hour. LMFAO

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Volourn said:

WTF. That's bullshit. You must have been one of those diunks who finished FO1 in less than a hour. LMFAO
Critical Path:
Tutorials: 2 hours.
3 Companions: ~4 hours
Thane(you don't need all companions to progress the story, and it seems Thane is the only one of the second bunch you need): 1 hour
IFF: 1 hour
Assorted Cutscenes: 30 minutes.
Final levels: 2 hours

Total: ~12 hours.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Volourn said:

WTF. That's bullshit.

Well, looks like you haven't actually played the game. What are you, a gaming journalist?

You can easily finish the game in 15 hours, doing several side quests, mining enough minerals to get most of the upgrades (if you imported a char) and even have a romance or two.

ME2 quests are short -- you spend more time actually reading codex entries or listening to random conversations.

BTW, the ending you get on the short route can actually be worth seeing. Not sure if you can fuck up so badly on purpose.

Volourn said:
You must have been one of those diunks who finished FO1 in less than a hour. LMFAO

Speedrun: 0:09:19

ME2 speedrun sure wouldn't be that fast, since you can't skip a lot of the stuff.

bobo_monkey

Novice
Good writing in a game

http://www.infocom-if.org/games/planetf ... tfall.html

planetfallfront.jpg

planetfallback.jpg

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FFS I hate speed gamers. What's the fuckin' point of playuing a agme if your only goal is to finish as soon as posisble. It's not a fuckin' race. Sit back, and enjoy it. And, if you don't enjoy it, don't play it. L A M E

Longshanks

Augur
coldcrow said:
If we talk about detailed, original and coherent sci-fi, please stop citing only american (B)-authors.
Stanislav Lem alone wrote a hundred-times better stories than this me2 crap.
I've no doubt he did, haven't played either ME though - have read a few of Lem's stories, and they are good. Can ME really be seen as sci fi though? Or is it more like Star Wars, fantasy space opera shit? I love good sci fi, but have not even thought about purchasing ME. FSOS bores me to tears - there's just so much of it around, and even the best of it is no more than mildly entertaining. Am I wrong? Should I give it a chance? Or is it only good if you like this crap?

Oh, and don't shit on American sci fi, there's plenty of good stuff out there.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
Longshanks said:
coldcrow said:
If we talk about detailed, original and coherent sci-fi, please stop citing only american (B)-authors.
I've no doubt he did, haven't played either ME though - have read a few of Lem's stories, and they are good. Can ME really be seen as sci fi though? Or is it more like Star Wars, fantasy space opera shit? I love good sci fi, but have not even thought about purchasing ME. FSOS bores me to tears - there's just so much of it around, and even the best of it is no more than mildly entertaining. Am I wrong? Should I give it a chance? Or is it only good if you like this crap?

Oh, and don't shit on American sci fi, there's plenty of good stuff out there.

By the time we are able to travel across the galaxy like we do in Mass Effects I figure we will probably have enhancements that are right in line with the Biotics if not more fantastic. Wings and sound in space make less sense than Biotics.

Longshanks

Augur
Plausibility of the tech is not necessarily the issue. Its the themes explored that make for sci fi, not the backdrop.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Oh, of course there is! But Phlip K. Dick and William Gibson - to name two of them - did not write "space operas". This is what bad sci-fi is, an unreflected and unimaginative projection of our current values and lifystyle on a futuristic setting.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
FFS I hate speed gamers. What's the fuckin' point of playuing a agme if your only goal is to finish as soon as posisble. It's not a fuckin' race. Sit back, and enjoy it. And, if you don't enjoy it, don't play it. L A M E

By speed gamers Volly apparently means people who don't stand in one place for 2 hours looking at NPCs moving along pre-scripted paths - but instead just play the game.

coldcrow said:

Everything is better than hero saving the galaxy.

mondblut

Arcane
Black Cat said:
It has bloody Jack Wall composing the music, it has, so i can pretty much tell you it has, like, best music ever without even playing it.

You failed a sarcasm detection skill check :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom