Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Manor Lords - medieval city-building with large scale battles

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It literally is medieval Rimworld and its Early Access releases on 16th of May, 2024!
Damn, another Early Access :negative:

Does not even say on their Steam page...

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
So a few hours later and I'm butting up against the Early Access limitations. Without more detailed diplomacy and combat options, there's not really too much to do but expand your town until you inevitably run into food supply issues. Farming seems to be more difficult than other colony sims, and unlike some others, it seems like you have to farm.

Looking forward to how the game progresses. There's a lot it does right, but also missing some quality of life stuff (no work tab?!).

How do you make the comparison? You can't interact with your citizens at all, except setting them to work as a family unit? The game to me seems very hands-off when it comes to your citizens in general.
I mean, Rimworld is better: its mechanics are better refined, there's better control over individuals, and it's complete with much more to do.

But have you tried large colonies in vanilla Rimworld? A pain in the ass, especially keeping track of everybody's mental health. Manor Lords seems like it's geared more towards larger populations.

Sunri

Liturgist
Are you blind?
2iU10o9.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Farming seems to be more difficult than other colony sims, and unlike some others, it seems like you have to farm.
In my current game I have shit-tier fertility soil so I can't farm effectively. Still manage to survive with berries, hunting, and plenty of chicken and vegetable gardens in the homes.

I have a rich source of animals in the region and took the development point that increases berry amount per bush, so those sources of food are enough to feed me somewhat.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I like this.

One thing I learned: Trade is very important. Almost any start has something they can export, like hides or roof tiles.

Hamster Godoy

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
i liked it but the game is too germanic, where are the south french wattle and daub houses? also, WHY CAN'T I MAKE CHEESE? what even is the point of building a church if the monks aren't making cheese and wine there, how did they overlook cheese as a resource in that game.

Hamster Godoy

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Farming seems to be more difficult than other colony sims, and unlike some others, it seems like you have to farm.
In my current game I have shit-tier fertility soil so I can't farm effectively. Still manage to survive with berries, hunting, and plenty of chicken and vegetable gardens in the homes.

I have a rich source of animals in the region and took the development point that increases berry amount per bush, so those sources of food are enough to feed me somewhat.
that's because food doesn't rot, the game tries to be like very realistic and has a bunch of stuff in it, but somehow forget one of the most important aspects, you could abstract saying that the berries are turned into jam but that's lame

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
i liked it but the game is too germanic, where are the south french wattle and daub houses? also, WHY CAN'T I MAKE CHEESE? what even is the point of building a church if the monks aren't making cheese and wine there, how did they overlook cheese as a resource in that game.
Yeah I hope the herding system gets expanded because right now all you can herd is sheep and all you get from sheep is wool. Can't even slaughter them for meat or get sheep's milk for cheese. Can't keep cows for meat and milk either.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Yeah I hope the herding system gets expanded because right now all you can herd is sheep and all you get from sheep is wool. Can't even slaughter them for meat or get sheep's milk for cheese. Can't keep cows for meat and milk either.

Yeah, there's a lot missing from the game in EA. And the game supposedly having been in production for 7 years makes me a bit worried about how quickly updates are going to drop.

As you said before, building up additional settlements seem like a pain in the ass. The easiest way is to have some way of buying and sending resources with your personal funds, which I'm assuming is a feature being planned since it makes a lot of sense (townspeople may have no interest in helping strangers, but a lord can invest in a new iron mining town).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom