Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mafia 2: Bloody buggers (and spoilers)

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
Beware, butthurt ahead!

So I fucking bought this piece of shit get-into-cover-and-be-invincible casual game, because I thought it MIGHT live up to the first part of the series. I was frowning when the game told me I leveled up from Mafia-Newbie to Mafia-I-own-a-fucking-house within two months gametime. I cursed when the game told me that after some thugs burnt down my house, I wasn´t able to buy another one within three months but instead was confined to that shitty apartment and did not earn a freaking cent while those three months passed to get my car repaired.

Okay, suspension of disbelief and all that, but nooooooooooooo.... almost right after what happened in the first paragraph of this post I am told that I was part of the murder of the fucking main character of Mafia 1, who was shot more than thirty years after the happenings of Mafia 1 (late 1960s) with a sawed-off shotgun.Only, now it happened in 1951, and it was no longer a shotgun but a bloody tommygun! IS IT SO FUCKING HARD TO LOOK AT THE OUTRO OF MAFIA 1 AND EXTRAPOLATE THINGS AND STUFF IN ORDER TO NOT FUCK UP MY IMMMEEEEERRRRSSSSSIIIOOOON! Fucking fucks.

I will now go and play the Codex Top 5 games, once more. Because of popamole. Because of I-win buttons. Because of Peter Molyneux. And just before I do that, I will pirate every bloody next-gen game there is, just... because I can.

I should do this more often. Nerd Rage does indeed replenish my hate, which was replaced with apathy lately.

Also:

:x :decline:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Actually the character in Mafia was killed around 12 years after the trial that put Salieri away. Since the game starts with Angelo telling his story to the Police in 1938 that would make it 1950-51 which is when he is killed in Mafia II. If we're going to be pedantic about time period then a bigger problem for me are the anachronisms with the cars and music in 1951. Many of the vehicles and songs are from the late 50's and even early 60's.

racofer

Thread Incliner
MetalCraze said:
Give into Hate

2lat2lk.jpg

MikeJahn

Educated
I played this a month ago and can't recall a single detail about the story. I was expecting at least half the game that Mafia 1 was but besides the city atmosphere it was overall pretty lame.

sparrowtm

Insert Disk 22
Developer
commie said:
Actually the character in Mafia was killed around 12 years after the trial that put Salieri away. Since the game starts with Angelo telling his story to the Police in 1938 that would make it 1950-51 which is when he is killed in Mafia II. If we're going to be pedantic about time period then a bigger problem for me are the anachronisms with the cars and music in 1951. Many of the vehicles and songs are from the late 50's and even early 60's.

So, Angelo was a guy in his early thirties in 1938, and was about 70 in 1951? Just saying. Because you know, he like, looked like 80 when he was gunned down in Mafia I. We could of course, discuss canon. Which doesn´t exist.

I accept your apologies. Really I do.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I liked Mafia 2 more than most... very immersive, good dialogue. The overall story was iffy at times, but I liked the end, the asshole has everything taken away from him and knows it's his own fault.

The main thing I disliked the the invincible cover. I much prefer "stop n' pop" shooters to have cover which only protects you if, you know, you're not exposed, like... in cover.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
sparrowtm said:
commie said:

So, Angelo was a guy in his early thirties in 1938, and was about 70 in 1951? Just saying. Because you know, he like, looked like 80 when he was gunned down in Mafia I. We could of course, discuss canon. Which doesn´t exist.

I accept your apologies. Really I do.

He looked 80? Looked in his 50's I thought. Doesn't matter anyway as I've said the whole time period in Mafia II was so out of whack based on the content anyway so finding logic in a game like this is an exercise in futility.

All I hope for is that they use the Mafia II engine to make another Hidden and Dangerous game anyway.

DalekFlay said:
I liked Mafia 2 more than most... very immersive, good dialogue. The overall story was iffy at times, but I liked the end, the asshole has everything taken away from him and knows it's his own fault.

The main thing I disliked the the invincible cover. I much prefer "stop n' pop" shooters to have cover which only protects you if, you know, you're not exposed, like... in cover.

It had potential, but never took advantage of it. The story was so convoluted that in the end I didn't even know which of the bosses I was working for even! Ending was good though, a real 'you'll have to live with this for the rest of your life' grimness.

Stealth was only used for one mission and it was about the best one, with little handholding (disabling the alarm in the basement was purely optional). You could also do it violently or not. Strange that no other mission in the game even came close to this. If the whole game had such multiple paths and more things to do on the side it would have been great.

The engine is great, looks good on an old machine, driving at night in the rain was awesome.

Just a shame that they forgot to make a compelling game with it.

SoupNazi

I finished it only just a few weeks ago, I don't even remember what the story was about. I last played the original game years ago and I still remember exactly what it was about and the various twists.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom