Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for trading game suggestions

dan32

Novice
Not sure if this is in the right place but here goes.

Im in the mood for a trading game but im not sure in which game to invest so id like to ask for suggestions,games ive tried and enjoyed are:

X- series
Elite
Patrician I II III
Conquest of the new world

There should be alot more but those are the ones i think of off the top of my head.
The games dont have to be graphical and they dont have to have great sound,i just want a game that i can turn on and enjoy.

Its also fine if its DosBox or windows.

I hope you guys dont mind me posting somthing like this but i thought if anyone would know its you.

Thanks for any help

Dan

MetalCraze

Arcane
Try Hardwar, it's pretty much Elite on Ganymede - I haven't had chance to play it much though but what I've noticed so far is that it has pretty alive world where something goes on all over the moon constantly.

dan32

Novice
Great suggestions

I havent tried Port Royale 2 so im getting it today,ive read some reviews and it sounds really good.

And i completly forgot about hardwar,i havent played that in a long long time,i managed to find a download last night.

Keep the suggestions coming as i do enjoy these tpyes of games and it wouldnt hurt to have a few extra to fall back on.

Lyesmith

Liturgist
Imperialism and its sequel are great games.
Both have strong emphasis on economy.

Zeus

Cipher
I play Mount & Blade like a trading sim. I make all my money buying furs in the snowy heights and selling them in the lowlands. You gain experience and throw points into Trading, and then you can sit in the market for a day, assessing prices and listening for hints about where you might make a buck selling things next. I'm sure the economy would be considered simple by diehard fans of the genre, but I have a lot of fun with it.

If you don't like M&B's real time combat, you can just hire Caravan Guards and send them into battle to do the fighting for you.

Anyone try Merchant Prince? That game sounds interesting.

Apart from making money, you can expand your influence in the Senate (bribing senators and pointing them Ministers), or the Church (bribing cardinals, struggling for be the Pope) with all the possibilities it opens (conduct treason accusations against your opponents or calling a Holy Crusade, for example). You can also hire mercenaries (known as “condotieri”) to attack your enemies or force cities to open for commerce, or become a sponsor of the arts. Also there are more “subtile” arts to be used, as assassinations… but beware of being caught.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
reaven said:
The guild 1 or 2
No, just The Guild 1, aka Europa 1400: The Guild, and fuck yes +1 on that game.

laclongquan

Arcane
Space Rangers 2 got a serious trading component to it. You trade commodities, equipments, weapons across the galaxy, with the game engine keeping track of the economy. A starving planet that wont get many supply runs of foods soon will lose inhabittants, which lead to lower demands and supplies.A planet that got your huge cache of goods will lead to an artificial market crisis (they need that goods, but the price remain low due to the game calculate that stored goods as ready to be sold, so the AI merchants didnt sell that goods there... mwahahahahaha). etc and etc.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah you should definitely play Space Rangers 2.
Besides trading and truly dynamic world it also has optional text adventure quests which are quite fun and hard to complete.

mondblut

Arcane
Merchant Prince (aka Macchiavelli: the prince aka Merchant prince 2) is great. Imagine Emperor of the Fading Suns focused on hauling glass from Venice to Genoa. When you're not busy bribing cardinals and assassinating doges, that is.

MP2 is essentially the same game ported for windows, with a bunch of pregenerated maps other than Earth and a crude hack of an optional research mode. And really ugly rendered sprites in place of hand-drawn tiles.

Fritz Haber

Educated
Die Fugger 2 is most enjoyable, especially in hotseat mode (don't know if an English version exists)
Doesn't have sea trading though.

edit
Oh, it seems Fugger 2 is the predecessor of The Guild, what do you know...

DraQ

Arcane
dan32 said:
X- series
Elite
Elite's sequels, Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters, are the logical option then.
Grab JJFFE or D3DFFE as replacement executable for the latter, as the original executable is buggy and doesn't run under modern systems - with or without DOSBox. The former runs fine under the 'Box.

Both greatly expand and refine the concept of Elite:

-realistic galaxy consisting of about a billion stars
-astrophysically correct, not scaled down planetary systems with multiple bodies and fully simulated orbital motion
-handcoded "known space" including our solar system
-Newtonian flight model (thankfully with time compression) including gravity, unlimited acceleration and frictionless space
-seamless planetary landings
-ability to take all kinds of jobs, from private and military contractors in addition to piracy, bounty hunting and trading
-broadened array of equipment and ability to buy different ships
-greatly expanded freedom, if you ever wanted to scoop a gas giant for hydrogen fuel or set up mining machines on some frontier globe, now you can
-robust 3D engine featuring coloured lighting, detailed Bezier based 3D models and ability to handle both extremely short and long distances in a single frame.
-(FFE only) fully optional (some NPC will do it instead if you don't pay attention) hand coded plotline bundled with journals you can subscribe to and read to know what is happening
-damage model allowing for various pieces of on-board equipment and cargo to be destroyed, down to single thrusters.
-ergonomic, easy to use, mostly mouse driven interface perfectly cushioning the shock of having to fly Newtonian

MetalCraze said:
Try Hardwar, it's pretty much Elite on Ganymede
Isn't it set on Titan rather than Ganymede?

TBH I never played it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom