Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for adventure games on the vein of...

Schattenjäger

Scholar
* The Gabriel Knight series: Mystery/Horror adventures with historical backgrounds and quality storytelling.

* Legend Entertainment games: Quality adaptations of fiction novels to the adventure media.

Is there anything out there? Somewhere over the rainbow?

I've been trying some of the new shit and some old games I had not played yet, but so far success has eluded me.

I need my adventure fix.

I NEED IT.

QUALITY ADVENTURE GAMES. NOW.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
1. Closest I can think of are the Broken Sword series. The first 2 are excellent, the 3rd had a shitty control scheme that made me give up, and I haven't tried the 4th. They're not as heavily researched as GK, but then again no adventure designer was as thorough as Jan Jenssen.

2. None that I can think of. Infocom have some excellent IF games, but the only adaptation I can think of is Shogun and it's not their best game (honestly I don't remember it enough to give a proper critique). Legend had carved themselves quite a niche with adapting novels and some of them are really great games (Death Gate, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon, Gateway) but sadly no one took the torch after they died.

Not an adaptation but Last Express is a fantastic adventure with some pretty good research done.

Black Cat

Magister
@ Schattenjäger

"The Gabriel Knight series: Mystery/Horror adventures with historical backgrounds and quality storytelling."

As Sceptic said the Broken Sword games could be considered similar, but they don't have the same mood and coolness. George is not Gabriel Knight, period. And Nico is cool and all, but she's not Grace. The mysteries are not half as interesting. And all that globetrotting actually hurt the games.

So for the closest thing to Gabriel Knight you should wait a couple of months for Gray Matter, Jane Jensen new game. Though she has been making it since before i started playing videogames, so if you guys joke about Age of Decadence being vapourware...

A game i discovered quite recently and i think can be seen in that way, though it's not third person and it's more of a mixture of Myst like puzzles with a dungeon crawler, though with the dungeon crawling limited to traps and exploration and having no real combat, is Azrael's Tear. Dark mood and lots of atmosphere? Yup. A whole lot of historical background? Yay. Very deep and cool characters? Totally. The storytelling is quite amazing too since the story is quite simple at first (you are a faceless high tech tomb raider having to enter a massive underground complex to find the grail) and slowly start to discover the story of each of the characters you come across by means of reading their journals, interpreting small details in the complex's rooms, reading the manual (that has a lot of background information and the like), and asking the right questions during the short interviews you have with them, limited to between one to three questions each and impossible to repeat other than by reloading. And almost everyone is totally insane after a couple of centuries keeping guard down there, and almost everyone is lying to you or otherwise trying to manipulate you in one way or another, up to the most cool twist ending ever, which is kind of awesome since videogames are usually inhabited by really honest conspirators and the like.

Another one could be Black Dahlia, if you are into Nazi Occultism and very noir games. But on that i can't really comment, a friend recomended it to me and told me about it in ways made it sound like what you are after but i haven't played it yet myself. Most reviews, though, mention puzzles being crazy dificult to solve without a walkthrough.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
I have seem that one.

Oh well, the disappointment suits me for thinking there would be anything else like the Legend games or Gabriel Knight out there.

It appears I have exhausted the supply of existing adventure games.

:cry:

Alex

Arcane
@Black Cat
Wow, Jane is working on a new title?! That is great news! And that Azrael's Tear seems nice too. I am very much obliged, Black Cat.

@Sceptic
I haven't played Shogun yet, but the first title to come to my mind when I think of Infocom and literary adaption would be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Of course this is a moot point because if Schattenjäger played all legend games, he probably played that too.

@Schattenjäger
Sorry, man, I don't know any games you probably haven't played yet. I would suggest checking the IF scene to see if something would fit your tastes, even if they aren't adaptations, but most of those games are sadly too small. Nothing wrong with short games, just like there isn't anything wrong with short stories. But unfortunately, there simply doesn't seem to be indie IF that has a scope comparable to, say, Enchanter.

By the way, since Black Dahlia was mentioned, anyone knows how to make it work properly on Windows XP? I have a lot of trouble with the mouse, turning the screen to rapidly when I move it to the corners of the screen, and eventually turning unresponsive. Also, since Legend was mentioned, anyone has the scan of the map for the first Spellcasting game? I really didn't want to resort to a walkthrough to find my way around the isles.

Imbecile

Arbiter
Schattenjäger said:
I have seem that one.

Oh well, the disappointment suits me for thinking there would be anything else like the Legend games or Gabriel Knight out there.

It appears I have exhausted the supply of existing adventure games.

:cry:

Nah. You have exhausted the supply of adventure games like Legend and Gabriel knight. There are plenty of other good adventure games out there, if you are willing to check out a broader selection of games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
^ Exactly, almost all the adventures in the thread I mentioned earlier are worth playing adnt here are many more good titles. The amount of good adventures is huge since in the early nineties they made them by the dozens. From a brief look in my HD here are some more titles that are not very well known:

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Conquests Of The Longbow
Dark Earth
Noctropolis
Rama
The Riddle Of Master Lu
Mission Critical

Chaotic Lulz3r

Liturgist
There is an effort by an indie developer to turn some classic novels into adventures, with at least one title already out, based on Les Miserables. Note that I have no idea on whether or not they are any good, I haven't played them myself and don't even know if they are proper adventures or HoG type popamole shit... but I do know that since the demise of Legend, no one else is even trying to turn books into adventures, so give it a try... and let us know if it is good for what it is.

Schattenjäger

Scholar
I'm downloading Black Dahlia and Azrael's tear right now. Hopefully they are as good as they sound.

If you guys have more obscure gems up your sleeves, share them.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Alex said:
I haven't played Shogun yet, but the first title to come to my mind when I think of Infocom and literary adaption would be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Of course this is a moot point because if Schattenjäger played all legend games, he probably played that too.
DOH! How could I forget that one. HOW COULD I FORGET. Some of the puzzles drove me MAD. Douglas Adams was a NASTY game designer.

Schattenjäger mentioned Legend but not Infocom, and both Shogun and Hitchhiker are Infocom games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom